Broken Argos netbook six months past warranty end

silly11
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4263 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry for another out of warranty laptop thread; I've done a search and been doing my best to wade through all the information there but could do with some clarification. I purchased my msi u130 netbook in February 2011, and until very recently it behaved flawlessly and has always been well looked after.

However, every second Function key stopped working simultaneously, along with the right hand shift key. More worrying for me is that the wireless connection has also started dropping out for no good reason and so regularly that I've given up trying to use this function and just plug it into the router, but this is obviously no good when I'm at university.

It was bought via ebay through Argos, and was sold as a fully functioning refurb which is where I'm getting confused regarding SOGA. So, a few questions if you don't mind:

* What are the chances of getting Argos to repair it at their cost? (not bothered about replacement or refund unless unavoidable)

* Do they even have any obligation under SOGA due to the fact it was a refurb?

* If they do, what is the process? Independent engineers report and the onus on me to prove the fault was inherent? Would this not be tricky to prove after 18 months ownership?

* If anybody knows about netbooks here, is it likely to just need a replacement keyboard? I can buy one for £15 - £20 and so it might just be better to "suck it up" and replace that, but I'm loathe to do that if it doesn't fix the problem obviously.

* Are Argos normally amenable to solving problems like this with the minimum of fuss, or are they likely to dig their heels in?

Any help appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Forget the refurb warranty, no chance if it's expired.

Best bet is to replace the keyboard, I am 90% sure that is the issue. http://www.laptopbits.co.uk/ As a test, plug in a USB keyboard to establish that an external keyboard works fine.(£6 from Tesco Extra). Any local Tech can do this for you, may charge £40 labout.