Questions about WCA recording

JM653
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4230 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, just a question for those who've had their WCA recorded or requested it.

I sent off my ESA50 form last month, and requested on it that if I was called for an assessment that it be recorded, and also requested two weeks notice so I could arrange for an advocate from a local mental health charity to come with me. I got an appointment letter on Saturday for a WCA on 20th September (12 days notice) with no mention of it being recorded. I phoned ATOS who said they had no record of me asking for a recorded assessment. The person I spoke to sent an email (to who I'm not sure) asking for a recorded assessment and cancelled the one on the 20th. She said I might get another appointment through for a non-recorded one, so I would have to ring up again to check when I get another appointment to make sure it's recorded.

I got another appointment today for the 21st (that's 10 days notice) again with no mention of recording, so I rang ATOS again. First they tried to transfer me through to someone else, but cut me off. I called again and a different person said they couldn't put me through to "them", but then emailed "them" to ask them to get in touch with me. They couldn't say how long it would take.

Anyway, my questions:

If recording has been organised for this appointment on the 21st, would it say so in the letter?

Secondly, how long should I wait before chasing this up? I spoke to them about an hour ago, and since then I've felt physically sick. I can't cope with this not knowing and need to know what's going on. Can I phone them back and ask them to cancel this appointment if they can't give me an answer about it being recorded? Aside from the way I feel, the longer this goes on for the less likely I am to be able to get an advocate if the appointment on the 21st is recorded and goes ahead.

Thirdly is there anyone better to speak to than the number on the letter? Any idea who these people are that they're apparently emailing and if I can get in touch with them instead of the number on the letter?

Finally, if I did go on the 21st (or indeed any other date) and there was no recording equipment available can I then demand they cancel it and give me another appointment?

Hi,

I can't answer all of your questions but I can say that so far as I know from mine and others experience if your assessment is going to be recorded it will say so on the appointment letter, therefore if recording isn't mentioned then it won't happen for that appointment.

If you do arrive for an appointment and recording equipment is not available it is up to you whether you go ahead or not BUT if you refuse you may be deemed to have refused a medical and may have to go through an appeal process to get that decision overturned.

You can email custrelations@atoshealthcare.com rather than phoning. You would then at least have a written record that you requested a recorded assessment.

Good luck with sorting this, and please keep us posted as to how it turns out. This is still a very new area and everyone's experience adds to our understanding.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Thanks RMW, and estellyn, I thought the same thing.

I've been back onto them, apparently it's the Resource Department that deal with this, and an email's been sent to them asking for them to ring me. When I asked for the number she went away to her supervisor and came back with the number for the medical centre. I spoke to them and they said there's a note on my file that I've enquired about recording but they haven't heard from the resource department about actually sending through a recorder.

I'll keep you updated if/when I hear anything. I'm gonna email them too. I don't want to nag, but at the same time, I need this sorted.

Hi, you are in the same position as I am, they keep sending me appointments for non-recorded assessments which I phone and tell them I have made a request for a recorded one, get them cancelled.

I have another thread on this: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?353226-ESA-Reassessment, You are welcome to read all the posts from the beginning but we found ourselves dealing with someone who thought we were asking for something that we should not regard as our 'right', so you will notice a bit of off-topic as well in there as people got a bit annoyed.

I am still waiting for my assessment .........

:-x:mad2::-x Just about sums up the recalcitrance from DWATO for audio recorded assessments without me getting :censored::

geasby:

Completely agree with the first two paragraphs written by :really madwoman: and the sentence written by :estellyn:

The appointment clerks don't get to see the ESA50s so they don't get to see the requested arrangements for audio record, chair access, etcetera.

Here's what's worked for me, so far, but DWATO's policy is inconsistent;

When I received an appointment for a non recorded assessment I sent an advance written request for an audio recorded assessment to my local Atos area office. With a copy of Mr Grayling's parliamentary written answer about audio recorded assessments, dated 5 July 12, stapled to the back of it. (There's been a more recent written answer, dated 17 July.) Two days later, to my utter amazement, I received a written cancellation of the non recorded assessment and haven't heard anything since.

Personally I gave up on the DWATO call centre roundabout years ago and, as I struggle with computer literacy, my mantra is everything in writing via snail mail. Have relied on more than one paperchase in disputes with Jobcentreplus.

Can I suggest you read the thread about audio recorded messicals, currently on page three of this forum, to increase your understanding of the current mayhem and misery, and the options for coping with it, or trying to. :frusty:

Best wishes, Margaret.

Edited by **Margaret**

Hi I attended a friends ATOS assessment today that was recorded as per request made 5 weeks ago I got the impression that the person performing the assessment had not made more than 1 or 2 previous recordings as they were not very familiar with the recording equipment.

dpick

I cant say as my recorded WCA I had no letter as was effectively a 1 day notice deal done on the phone.

Potentially you will now keep getting normal appointments and have to keep ringng up for cancellations, the excuse given to me was is its automated. I cancelled at least half a dozen appointments.

Hi guys.

In case this is the thread Margaret meant, here's a link.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?336827-Announcement-ESA-claimants-now-have-the-option-of-having-their-WCA-recorded&highlight=announcement+recording+atos

Not everyone sees the same number of pages; the other day someone commented that a thread had 22 pages and I only had 8! I'm guessing it's something to do with user settings.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Guest Another Spartacus

I may have been very fortunate in having the whole process run comletely smoothly from start to finish. I have a thread on here somewhere which you may wish to peruse.

When I received the date and time for my assesment I called to make it a P.M. assessment as the 9 A.M would have been impossible for me to attend due to medication etc. At the time I also requested it to be recorded and mentioned that I was concerned of the outcome because of the bad publicity that Atos had had and I also mentioned that according to Chris Grayling I was well within my rights to have it recorded.

No problem, and a couple of days later I recieved notification of the new appointment, yes it would be recorded and it was on the very same day as the original one put much later in the day, result.

My son went with me to the assessment, he took notes and also carried all my additional information, medication, appointment letters etc in his 'man bag' I had decided that carrying a handbag myself would be detrimental:wink:

I am now in the support group, supposedly for 18 months according to DWP, but I don't believe them one little bit. I'm quite sure that I am likely to be sent another ESA50 shortly and I will be more than prepared for the next round.

A S xx

Hi, just an update on what's happened:

I emailed customer relations on Tuesday telling them what was going on and asking them to resolve it as a matter of urgency due to the stress and anxiety it was causing me. I got a reply yesterday morning saying that the message had been forwarded to a team leader in the Newcastle office and they would be in touch, and to email again if I hadn't heard by lunch time. When it got to nearly 1 o'clock and I hadn't heard anything I emailed again and they quickly replied to say that the office was aware of my request. They said my appointment will be cancelled and a new appointment will be sent out. They said they're going to make sure this appointment is recorded.

I'm just relieved that this seems to be getting sorted. If they send me any more appointments that aren't recorded I'm just going to email them, it seems to be a lot more efficient and less stressful. I've read through some of the other threads and it's reassuring to know that people who ask are getting recordings. I'm already in the WRAG group so I'm not in a rush to have another assessment.

Thanks to everyone who's replied, I will of course keep you posted if there are any updates.

Update: I've had two letters through from ATOS this morning. One was the normal appointment letter this time for 4th October with no mention of a recording and the second was a separate letter confirming that arrangements had been made for an audio recording to be made of this assessment.

Damn, I was hoping to get a bit of breathing space before they managed to get me a recorded assessment. Ah well, now I can only hope that they actually produce an accurate report when they're being recorded :ohwell:

Thanks again for all your input and I will keep you informed as things progress

• 2 months later...

I know this was a while ago, I'm just updating on progress.

The advocacy organisation sent the advocate the wrong day, and didn't bother following up when I wasn't there, so I was left waiting outside the assessment centre with no advocate and no clue what was going on. I didn't feel able to go in on my own due to my mental health so I left. I had a two week agonising wait to find out if a decision maker accepted my good cause for not attending, which they thankfully did. I was referred back to ATOS, who this time placed me straight back in the WRAG without sending me for another WCA. I don't know why they decided I didn't need a WCA a couple of months after they decided I did, but I'm just glad that I don't have to go for one.

Thanks again for all your help!

Thanks for letting us know and congrats on a positive result.

I've heard recently that quite a few people are being put straight into the WRAG without an assessment. I'm wondering if it's because the system is simply overloaded.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Thanks for letting us know and congrats on a positive result.

I've heard recently that quite a few people are being put straight into the WRAG without an assessment. I'm wondering if it's because the system is simply overloaded.

It seems that way.