new universal credit

joeski
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4272 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am going for an interview next week for a local job which pays good money, I don't particularly want the job but it would be useful in many ways. It is a maternity cover job so would actually benefit me in getting some money behind me for my own company - which now has its own bank account - YAY!

The current government don't make it easy for anyone wanting to 'better themselves' do they? Isn't that what the 'Big Society' is about? People using their skills to help one another and the community benefits...

I could actually instruct younger people to have some of life's 'soft skills' in looking after themselves. I bet the average 16 year old has never picked up a needle to sew on a button or tried to replace a zip on their designer jeans (a 10 minute job for me).

These are the skills that help when you are on a low income, being able to repair and adapt existing clothing to suit the occasion.

I think I am going to do a series of youtube videos on how to change clothes without spending a fortune, this is along with my 'One person cookery book'. I've just got another cracking recipe for that, which takes hardly any effort!

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, could someone show a link that explains what the universal credit actually is and how it will affect people. I have heard of it but don't really understand what it means. A link that explains it in simple terms would be good as my focus is not brilliant thanks to meds that I am taking,

thanks.

Hi Cupcake69. This is the link to the DWP page on UC.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/policy/welfare-reform/universal-credit/

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

Ah, thanks flumps. So no change there then, I'd still post off my original evidence to JCP. Apart from filling in a form online and four weekly payments instead of fortnightly, I'm struggling to see any real savings ...

Just means they get to earn more interest on the money.

Daft all in all, especially as they already acknowledge this might cause some people problems - along with many not having access to a computer or even knowing how to use one.

So all in all, a pointless and costly exercise.

I expect they are wanting to get rid of more job centre staff into the bargain.

When people have no hope of a job, face eviction, and 3 years without any income prison begins to look like a good option.

I think we will reach a point where there are more riots.

It happened last time this lot were in power, and it will again.

No hope and nothing to lose; recipe for massive civil unrest.

• Confused 1

Just means they get to earn more interest on the money.

Daft all in all, especially as they already acknowledge this might cause some people problems - along with many not having access to a computer or even knowing how to use one.

So all in all, a pointless and costly exercise.

I expect they are wanting to get rid of more job centre staff into the bargain.

This sentiment was expressed to me by a member of JC staff today, funnily enough. I get the feeling they aren't looking forward to it any more than the rest of us.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

This sentiment was expressed to me by a member of JC staff today, funnily enough. I get the feeling they aren't looking forward to it any more than the rest of us.

I'm not surprised, as they are the ones that will have to bear the brunt of the face-to-face interviews.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

Have to say in ALL fairness to the JC staff that I have encountered they have all been fine with me.

One slightly OTT but then his job was probably in the balance.

They are over worked (true, they are lucky they have a job) but what an environment to have to work in, they simply do not have the time to offer us any more - and yet the powers that be want them to still crack down and monitor supervise us - and get us back to work.

Shame old David cannot see what a farce it all is.

Living like this though is degrading, non of know what is around the corner any more.

4 weeks payment period

39 week wait for help with mortgage (if entitled) new claimants or people coming off and going back on.

Income based ESA claimants being restricted to 2 years support with mortgage - dropping help from £200.000 to £100.000 max

Contribution based SMI claimants could be faced with a charge placed on their property if sold or die, to pay the money back.

All in all what is there left to try and look forward to.?

Shame old David cannot see what a farce it all is.

He can see what a farce it all is, the problem is he and his cabinet don't give a toss, we are just collateral damage.

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

I think there wont be riots sadly. At least none considered newsworthy.

The amount of people affected by poll tax vs affected by nazi style welfare reform.

People who are in full time employment are actually better off due to tax cuts and tax credit increases, pensioners are been kept happy by the vast majority of reform excempting them, eg. DLA stays DLA for pensioners. They excempt from council tax changes as well as another example. Armed forces excempt from PIP reform and so on. The tories have learnt from last time they were in power in terms of controlling the public.

We had protests for the tesco workfare scheme, its possible we may get further protests for future workfare on JSA but I think it will be focused rather than anti welfare in general. The reaction to those previous protests was one tiny part of mandatary workfare was removed. What we have with this current government is they dont care about misleading the public, under labour all the media labeled it spin yet this government is been let off completely.

Of course sanctions do not help people, they only help getting the benefit expenditure down a little, so the Government can then give more away to the large corporations.

But if you get (for example) a million part-time workers, who are then forced to look for further employment, it will just cause even more problems for the unemployed.

The only thing I can see with that, (apart from sanctions), is that the Work Providers will probably get hundreds of mi££ions to take the part-time workers onto their books.

I have seen some posts that state a FOI was made concerning that, and the reply was that sanctioned are not counted as unemployed/ on benefit.

Have not seen the FOI, but not hard to believe.

That's what I thought, more sanctions= (fake) lower unemployment numbers

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

I've queried that too, on these forums, and been told they do count as unemployed when sanctioned as they have to keep signing on while the sanction is in effect. My JC+ is many miles away, I don't have a clue how I'd get there with no money.

Those on low income/benefits, budget/plan week to week how they will best spend the money they have, those with mi££ions plan on how they will best get their next mi££ion and hide it from the tax man.
Under the new bright and shiny Universal Credit, those on low income/benefits will be budgeting month to month. UC will be the annual benefit divided by twelve to give an equal monthly payment, lots of people will be caught out by five week months, not realising that their benefit has been evened out.

You can only budget for a month if you have a months money. When the switch over kicks in, it will be a case where you will get 2 weeks benefit that has to last (at best, if IT system works) 4-5 weeks. For those last 2-3 weeks many will have nothing and have to borrow/beg to survive. Then when the months benefit does arrive, there are extra debts to pay, so probably (for many) will not be enough to last the 4-5 weeks again, (or they have to miss paying full rent etc)