new universal credit

joeski
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4272 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

should be but it will probably be less...and you have to wait a month to get it...

so if you get roughly £140 every 2 weeks now when the universal credit comes in you'll get that amount every month instead? :shock:

i would guess that

• if you now got £140 esa/jsa per fortnight, you will probably end up with £280 a month (or something similar)
  • if you now got £140 esa/jsa and £160 hb per fortnight, you will probably end up with £600 a month (or something similar)

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

i would guess that

• if you now got £140 esa/jsa per fortnight, you will probably end up with £280 a month (or something similar)
  • if you now got £140 esa/jsa and £160 hb per fortnight, you will probably end up with £600 a month (or something similar)

thats ok, i thought that if the get £140 now every 2 weeks when the universal credit comes in you'll only get £140 a month :oops:

There's a Universal Credit calculator here:

http://policyinpractice.co.uk/universal-credit/universal-credit-calculator/

Whether it bears any relation to actual reality, I know not.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

It may well mean you can bulk buy and get some things a little cheaper. It won't necessarily be all bad.

Well, it looks like it's a done deal so lets just hope that they sort out whatever the problems are with the technical side of things. I do think it's going to make life very hard for elderly people - my Mum struggles filling out the paper forms, never mind doing it on the internet. In fact, she wouldn't even know how to open an internet browser, and not everyone has children who can help them.

I can see the logic in paying monthly - most bills are monthly, I suppose.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

I do know what you mean. I went from fortnightly JSA, to weekly paid, back to fortnightly JSA and my next job will most likely be monthly paid. It causes total havoc financially.

It's definitely easier managing week to week than month to month. Sadly, don't think there's much chance of getting weekly paid again in my line of work - it's all monthly salaried.

It may well mean you can bulk buy and get some things a little cheaper. It won't necessarily be all bad.

My god an answer not doom and gloom :jaw:

Basically this is one of the good things to come of this Universal Credit. You want to get yourselves over to the MSE forums and look at the old style and the shopping bits. You can get some amazing deals on decent food if you buy in bulk.

My biggest saving is in the fact I buy a 10kg bag of Thai fragrant jasmine rice for £15-20. It's literally under a tea cup per person for a portion and that's a whole heap of portions. Not all rice is equal and Thai Jasmin is the best and most versatile imho I love the stuff. That and couscous.

Now back to doom and gloom god help anybody with an issue especially where an entry error = computer say no and the temp JCP staffer can't figure it. At least in the old days you'd only not receive part of your multiple benefit income.

Plus it is only simpler in applying for it and receiving a single monthly payment. That's it!

The underlying regulations and the multiple calculations for tiers, evidence provision etc are far far far more complex! To a point of most folks will not know what the hell is going on!

the obvious problem with internet forms is sending in evidence, I did my DLA claim online and when they rang me it hit me that I didnt send any evidence because of the way I submitted the claim.

I am not overly against internet claims as I can barely write now and its very hard for me to do a DWP form since they so huge. But I can defenitly see the faults behind the idea.

the obvious problem with internet forms is sending in evidence, I did my DLA claim online and when they rang me it hit me that I didnt send any evidence because of the way I submitted the claim.
This is one of the reasons it may fall over, if evidence or documents have to either be scanned and faxed over by JCP or sent via royal mail, what would be the advantage of a digital system in terms of speed and simplicity?

People are going to muck up online claims, (possibly the reason for the new £50 fine for 'deliberate' mistakes on forms) BDC's will still have to sort things out over the phone. The DWP have promised face-to-face assistance, from who and where? JCP will be my guess, but whoever get's lumbered with it will need training on the new system along with all the BDC staff, all this is meant to come to pass by this time next year?

I'm not holding my breath.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

I work in JCP and imo I have as much confidence in the new system as I had in the HMRC Tax Credits system when it was introduced 2002/3 which is not very much at all :o

In answer to the question previously asked about money if you are paid £142 fortnightly then yes it would £284 if paid 4 weekly but calender monthly is different, £142 x 26 = £3692.00 per annum and divide by 12 for a month figure = £307.67.

I await to see how it will work but anticipate the customer service diary will be fully booked all day every day

there was a press report the other day, which stated that osbourne is trying to block the introduction of UC by IDS as the cost is now getting prohibitive, and there is concerns that the system will not work

It hasn't been thought through very well, one issue is it basically removes working tax credits and replaces it with....very little. I can't see that it does encourage work - especially self employed work, which is well supported by the current tax credits system.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

It's impossible for it to work. For that we'd need to develop a database of unheard of complexity with hardly any budget in no time at all, so it's nonsense from the off. What it does do is get IDS in a lot of papers and importantly in America too where he's been interviewed about all this, as the great reformer. He loves all that does IDS. This folly, this vanity, is starting to cost and that's why Osborne wants him gone.

• Confused 1

I can't see how scanned or faxed documents from the claimant could be acceptible as there would be a wide possibility of fraudulent claims. Surely original documents of supporting evidence would be needed and then somehow tied up to the original online claim. Unless I've misunderstood the concept it sounds very messy and cumbersome.

It's impossible for it to work. For that we'd need to develop a database of unheard of complexity with hardly any budget in no time at all, so it's nonsense from the off. What it does do is get IDS in a lot of papers and importantly in America too where he's been interviewed about all this, as the great reformer. He loves all that does IDS. This folly, this vanity, is starting to cost and that's why Osborne wants him gone.

Well said.

It's his vanity project, he wants to get in the history book as the one who reformed the welfare state, fool thinks people will put him and Nye Bevan in the same category. :|