will it affect us

stuggling
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4334 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm going back to college full time in September my partner works full time, but we have 4 children and get housing benefit towards help with rent but was informed if I go back to college my hb is likely to stop :-S, im doing this to gain a qualification to return to work full time

I've no idea what to do now

Entitledto.com won't do it as a full time student,

Our local council told us :'(, they said if I was on Isa,jsa it wouldn't affect claim but because partner works it will and is most likely to stop so I can't go college really upset

This is what entitledto.com say

If you are a full-time student, you can get Housing Benefit (HB England, Scotland, Wales and HB Northern Ireland) and/or Council Tax Benefit (England, Scotland and Wales) if you meet one of the following conditions:

you receive Income Support (IS) or income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) or income-related Employment and Support Allowance or are over Pension Credit age

you are responsible for a child and you are a lone parent or a member of a couple and you are both full-time students (unlike IS and JSA this applies throughout the year)

you are a lone foster carer with a child formally placed with you by a local authority or voluntary agency

you receive Disability Living Allowance or Attendance Allowance, the disability or severe disability element of Working Tax Credit or a War Pensioner’s Disability Supplement

you or your partner are registered blind

you have been unable to work due to sickness or disability for at least 28 weeks

you qualify for a disabled student’s allowance because you are deaf

you take time out from your course because of illness or caring responsibilities in certain circumstances (see Time out from study).

NB: If you receive student support, in the form of a grant or loan, this will usually reduce the amount of Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit you can get, unless you also get Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or income-related Employment and Support Allowance or you are over Pension Credit age.

But we don't fall into any of that! My partner on a low wage and we not splitting up just so I can return to college I find it wrong and very upsetting

I will flag your query for site team. There are one or two people who would know for sure.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I can only asssume that, as HB / CTB are means tested benefits, then the combination of the household income would take you out of that threshold. Or am I missing something? ...

EDIT: Of course, the other factor might be that full-time education later in life is a personal choice and not a right. Perhaps the Open University is a possibility? ...

I'm going back to college full time in September my partner works full time, but we have 4 children and get housing benefit towards help with rent but was informed if I go back to college my hb is likely to stop :-S, im doing this to gain a qualification to return to work full time

I've no idea what to do now

That is correct. Your current HB and Council tax benefit will stop as they are related to JSA. You will need to apply again and supply proof from college that you are doing the course and of course supply details of income. The HB and council tax are then assessed on your new change of circumstances.

I don't claim jsa, my partner works full time we get no other income when I start college if it gets refused what then I suffer and never do a course that can get me a job just sit back and suffer!

be starting college doesn't affect our income at all I've showed them this and the college details bit got told because it full time your hb stops though our income hasn't changed

Sorry if it rude just need a way of saying to council to sod off partner works and im trying to better our situation so we don't have to claim hb anymore its like they want us too!!

Has your partner checked the tax credits are correct as clearly they ought to change... the new circumstances can be put into Entitledto.com any time and not be linked to you, so you can check to see what you can claim.

Claim individually for your partner first and put yourself as a student, this might change the claim amount sunstantially.

Yes it all correct it doesn't affect the tax credits either as I don't get and finance or student loans fir it if you put student in entitledto.con it states it can't be done I've to enquire at local council

Most full time students cannot get housing benefit, as you've found out. However the information you have located is written in such a way that it is intended to be read as if the main benefit claimant is the student because the rules only apply if the claimant is the student. i.e you are the main benefit claimant and your husband is a partner in the claim.

So yes, your housing benefit would stop if you were a full time student and the benefit claimant and you did not fall into any of the exempt categories.

However there is nothing to stop your husband from then submitting a claim for housing benefit and council tax benefit, with him as the claimant and you as the partner. This is legitimate, by the way, it's not a 'get out clause', and many councils will actually advise people to do this.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

can't do open uni as I have to pay over 4000 just to get started and get materials I need for course in the college it already provided in class

So you do not qualify for any of the Financial Support available on Open University for those on low income? I would have thought you might....

can't do open uni as I have to pay over 4000 just to get started and get materials I need for course in the college it already provided in class

I would check that again. As you're on HB, this may reduce the fees - perhaps even to ZERO.

Just going on very dodgy half-remembered conversations with my sister who's doing an OU course, I rather think the amount of help being made available to those on a low income is being heavily cut back this year. Now there's a surprise ...

Just going on very dodgy half-remembered conversations with my sister who's doing an OU course, I rather think the amount of help being made available to those on a low income is being heavily cut back this year. Now there's a surprise ...

Yeah. The fees are going up and it's loans now. Whereas when I started, the course fee (if you qualified) was a grant.

OP - as someone with children, you should be able to get housing benefit. As a full time student, your husband should get a council tax discount.

Depending on the course(s) and the start date(s).

Most full time students cannot get housing benefit, as you've found out. However the information you have located is written in such a way that it is intended to be read as if the main benefit claimant is the student because the rules only apply if the claimant is the student. i.e you are the main benefit claimant and your husband is a partner in the claim.

So yes, your housing benefit would stop if you were a full time student and the benefit claimant and you did not fall into any of the exempt categories.

However there is nothing to stop your husband from then submitting a claim for housing benefit and council tax benefit, with him as the claimant and you as the partner. This is legitimate, by the way, it's not a 'get out clause', and many councils will actually advise people to do this.

I knew there was a way around it as I went back to university in 1999 and it was the wife that claimed me as a dependent as she was working as a factory worker.