Would like to set up home network

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4016 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thanks for that Renegadeimp.

I 'think' I have the homegroup set up now but the laptop is not recognising the printer, which is attached to the old PC (on XP) upstairs.

When I try to set the printer as 'default on the laptop I get the following message;

Double check the printer name and make sure the printer is connected to the network.

But when I was on old PC 'SHARING THE PRINTER' I got the following message;

The share name that you have entered may not be accessible from some MS-DOS workstations. Are you sure you want to use this share name?

This maybe simple/easy for you guys but it sure stressing me out this past week.'

Santander PPI X 2 **WON** claims on behalf of son (Oct 2010/ Mar 2011)

Citicard O/H (PPI) - **WON** Compound Interest Dec 2011

Citicard O/H (Charges) Bailiffs sent in August 2012

Barclaycard - **WON** Compound Interest Oct 2011

Monument - account information being sought for OH

Citicard - self - N1 submitted August 2012

Barclaycard - self - **WON** damages for non disclosure/information now rec'd. Aug 2012

Barclaycard - relation - Failed SAR sent 29/09/11

Halifax SAR sent 18/08/2011 for relation

LTSB - SAR sent 09/08/2011 for friend

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its probably xp. SOme hardware and software is flaky cross operating systems. Have you considered upgrading the xp machine to win 7?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I have thought about it and adding more memory to increase speed etc but its not something I wanted to do just right now - too much going on with banks and personal stuff.

Thanks for your input. Will let you get back to the sunshine :)

Barclaycard - self - **WON** damages for non disclosure/information now rec'd. Aug 2012

• 9 months later...

First off you need to check your isp to see whether it has wps facility on router as some isps do not have this function

Second you need to make sure that the printer is noticed by windows a simple way to do this is to use a usb lead and with windows pnp system once printer is powered on it should detect it and install it straight away

Third you will need to install the software packages that came with the printer

fourth once complete you will have to disconnect the usb lead in order to go wireless which may involve using the disc again in order to be able to set it up wirelessly you will eventually be asked to put in your isp user and security key

this should give you the choice to either use usb or wifi and should work fine

The next step is to go to any other pc that you have and again the process starts again the printer company will insist that you need to put there disc in but you dont windows is wonderful at doing this for you you just go to add another printer select blue tooth or wireless windows will eventually detect the printer the driver it finds may look slightly different or have an e letter before it but do not worry about this as it functions fine if not better if all is well you should find a link to your printer manufacturer whereby you will be able to download and install all the software and latest driver in relation to your printer and then you do exactly the same with each additional printer then again if you share the printer in the pinter configurations network process you should be able to access all info on any pc in your premises and will have some kind of small icon that has an image of 2 people

As far as the fax side of things go you will need to follow the disc setup instructions this is easier than setting up the printer and if you share your printer on your home or public network you should have to do very little

You may also need to purchase a small usb adsl nano or bluetooth sender receiver for your other pc you again will have to use the disc that comes with it to install and setup this device widows may suggest that it is not wise to install this device but go ahead any way and all should be fine and again you will have to put in your isp and security password now if this fails to work once your pc is rebooted you may need to go to device manger which will have a caution symbol on the device that is not working in relation to internet devices simply left click and select update driver do not let windows do it automatically but instead select browse my computer install driver from list on my pc it should then have the device listed again windows will warn you that this is not wise but go ahead snd install the driver you will find everything works fine you will just have to reboot in order for it to all be ok

i hope this helps robjlee64

I work on my laptop wirelessly in the lounge situated near to the router and usually save work to my USB and then run (hardly) upstairs plug USB into my old desk computer (does not have internet access) to print off or scan documents.

What would I need to do or buy to set up my own network so that I can print an email from my laptop, albeit, the printer will still be upstairs.

Also, as my printer is also a fax, what do I need to connect to it, in order to be able to fax a document? Presumably, the telephone cable will need to be plugged in to the back of the printer? but the telephone is downstairs!

I am not a novice with PC but I am not a geek either.

Any help would be appreciated folks.

Shelley

:-)

Edited by robjlee64

thread is several months dead..............

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks Robjlee64.

As dx100 says, it was an old thread. However, I do have the PC in question in bits at the moment because I tried upgrading the memory on it because it was running too slow.

I have acquired a newer motherboard complete with CPU and await my daughter to fit it for me.

I have upgraded my wireless internet this week and I hope soon to have accomplished my original plan of setting up a home network.

Apologies dx100 - pure coincidence - work in progress, :jaw:

The last 11 months have been a blur :(

Update fax issues you should be able to buy any form of lead in relation to connecting from your telephone socket to your fax machine in various legnths from ebay amazon or your local electrical store even some supermarkets you may also be able to buy what they call splitters which will enable you to connect as many as you like even your router you can buy an ethernet splitter that will allow you to connect upto 7 other ethernet devices or pcs games consoles etc that have ethernet connectivity you may also have to purchase additional ethernet leads which come in many coulors and legnths and can be purchased from the same places

robjlee64:-)