What are obligations to refund for faulty item?

casey
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4337 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Didn't realise that ray, but did wonder whether it was legal or not as she was not aware of the cctv, although the camera was in clear view.

Have also just discovered going through my son's text messages that she was offered a full refund but was told that she would have to wait 8-10 days for my son to find the money. It was not his console that he sold and so he didn't have the cash from it - if he had he would have spent it anyway after 2 months. He reckoned that he would have been able to cover most of the cost of refunding by repairing and reselling the console but she did not want to wait and which is why she turned up on our doorstep with her demands and threats. His income from 15 hours a week work over 4 days is barely enough to cover transport costs let alone any money left over for food etc. and he was waiting a tax refund to be able to cover the payment and turn it around quickly to cover it.

However, after all her lies and threats and finding that the console had not been looked after and absolutely stank of smoke he did not want to take it back.

She also wanted him to drop it off at her house, a journey of approximately 20 miles.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, looks like this woman is still out for revenge. Had a letter from council to advise us that it appears that we are liable for business rates on our home!!!!

Check with the council that the letter is genuine.

Unless you buy and sell cars from home then you are not liable for business rates. If that were the case, there are a lot of people who sell on ebay who should start shaking in their boots.

Hi, Conniff - yes my husband has just been on the phone (it was actually the valuation office which had been alerted by the council). My husband does work from home and we did originally pay business rates but went to appeal which was granted. My husband still works from home and deals with the council on a daily basis so they were fully aware. Anyway, as a result of the conversation they taking no action but are sending us an appeal form as they think we can appeal to have rates reduced on another completely different matter.!!!!! She had said that she had found out about our address (obviously google has brought things up) and that we'd be sorry. I am now getting very tempted to contact social services.

I am now getting very tempted to contact social services.

If you know something that isn't right, it's your duty to report it. Remember it can be done anon.

If you are only using one room for business, I don't believe that is classable as business premises anyway. Still that's sorted.

Been thinking about it for a while now - it was really the fact that she insisted that the console was only used by her 5 year old in his bedroom when it was caked in nicotine and had an 18plus game in it. I really do not believe that it was used by the child. Her insistence that the child is having to do without things because we have let it down when in fact if she gave up smoking for a couple of days she would be probably be able to buy a new console.

The child also smelt very strongly of cigarette smoke - it surprises me that the teachers at school haven't noticed it - unless they have of course!!

We don't use any room solely for business - the one room that is used is also used for the kids' music room, storing their bikes etc. But yes, that side does seem to be sorted - just wondering what she's going to throw at us next.

can you block texts, phone calls on your phone? if not keep them and log all contact and report to police as harrasement, including informing th council, getting mailicous. Defo grounds to report and Police should warn them off before taking action if it continues.

It's my son's phone and probably will be able to block calls, texts etc. He's keeping them (downloading to computer I think). Police advised us to keep all copies, details of incidents etc. and to get back to them if things escalate. Not really sure at the moment whether to just give her a bit more rope before contacting the police. Heaven help the person who has supposedly fixed the console now if anything goes wrong again as he appears to be an unlicensed waste carrier and is advertising for cheap red diesel, amongst other things!!!!