Ikea Family mobile problems - Say hello to loads of hassle and unreliability and buck passing

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4315 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The Family Mobile scheme looks really great. Very cheap call rates and SMS rates, automatic top-up, no minimum monthly spend, no expiry of credit.

Also, they are partnered with IKEA so you expect that the quality is going to be good in every respect.

I decided to get a couple for my kids who are going away for a few weeks this summer.

I am so disappointed so far.

The Sim cards arrived - without instructions, without PUK numbers, without the default PIN number.

The website didn't work correctly so that it became impossible to activate them without help from the Family Mobile cust.service team - of which there only seems to be two (not their fault) - but it means a longer than 10 minutes wait on the phone until they get round to you.

It took two phone calls of over 30 minutes each to get both sim cards activated. The website instructions are very poor and don't provide all of the info needed.

Anyway, well and good, the sim cards work - although the website still shows them as being inactive. the Cust service rep told me that there are issues with the website (there certainly are) and that what I see may not reflect the true situation (it certainly doesn't).

More worrying was the fact that I had authorised automatic top-up which means that Family Mobile has access to my money.

There is meant to be an itemised billing service available and you are meant to be able to check online what the state of your account is - usage and so on.

None of this is working.

I have used one sim to send sms messages but there is no trace of them on my account console.

In fact it is impossible to manage the account or to see how much activity - and how much expense is being incurred by your children - even though, being able to manage your children's accounts is one of the features of Family Mobile.

The customer service rep said she would escalate it but didn't know when - or even if someone would call me back.

Can I speak to a supervisor? No

Can I speak to a manager? No

Can I have the name of the department which will deal with the escalation complaint? The escalation department.

Where are they? Not allowed to tell you.

Who will deal with the compalint? Not allowed to tell you.

Can I have the posta address of your office so I can write? No

So where do I stand? You'll just have to wait.

I decided to get the address of ttheir website - they have a legal obligation to carry the address. No address.

I tld this to the customer service rep. She agreed that the address is not displayed.

No company registration number. Nothing.

It says that Family Mobile is owned by the Mobile Partners Group. Well I called them and got through to someone who says that he is the MD of the group.

He told me that Family Moble has been sold to CDRator and that Family mobile should not be carrying references to Mobile Partners Group on their website!!!

Is this true? I don't know. I am only relating the conversation which I had.

I thought that IKEA had better know what is being said about all of this so I called them. they were concerned and will be investigating and calling me back.

I contacted the phone regulator about the failure to display company information on the website. They have logged it as an industry complaint ???? (What does that mean?)

I now have a contact email for the MD of CDRator - so I'll report back after I have heard from him.

Meanwhile, the family mobile website is still not showing my account information accurately.

I suppose that I will phone Trading standards as well - and T-mobile because Family mobile are offering T-mobile services.

Has anyone had any good experiences with Family mobile? I'd like to know.

Google searching doesn't disclose any problems. They seem alright

I'd really like to clear up the issue of who owns family mobile too. It is all very strange

Here is another family mobile problem but with the Walmart version instead

http://support.t-mobile.com/message/141515

Yes, thanks for this - however I don't see anywhere any business address and the T&Cs refer to the IKEA fanily card which has nothing to do with the Family mobile sim card.

It is almost a kind of smokescreen

I have now confirmed that Family Mobile is no longer owned by Mobile Partners Group but is in fact owned by CDRator.

There is no explanation as to why the Family Mobile site still claims to be a partnership between IKEA and Mobile Partners. No explanation either as to why the site does not display the business address.

CDRator have contacted me and have offered to terminate the service and to refund me.

This is not what I want.

I want a properly functioning service as advertised. I can't imagine that IKEA would agree that if a customer doesn't get what he paid for, simply offer him a refund to get rid of him.

I would have thought that a responsible company would want to get it right.

Also, CDRator have refused ny request for compensation.

From CDRator

First off all I apologize if the service has not been living up to the expectations you have had. We have as you have seen taken over the company quite recently and are trying to find the solutions to this if issues should arise.

In your case I would be happy to refund you any payments you have made and cancel the service if you so which. Unfortunately I cannot offer you a financial cash compensation for this but do understand if this means you are no longer interested in your services and would cancel at this time.

Please let me know what telephone numbers you have purchased with us, and I will have my staff look into either your account details to see what is not working or ensure a refund of any outstanding balance you might have with us at this time.

Kind regards

Laurits Tygesen

CEO

lt@cdrator.com

www.cdrator.com

Their code of practice is interesting (http://www.familymobile.co.uk/infopages/code-of-practice)

it is missing any information about an ADR (Alternative Dispute Resolution Scheme)

Read what ofcom say http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/telecoms/adr/

Under Ofcom’s regulations, phone companies must be a member of a recognised Alternative Dispute Resolution Scheme.

To add, I also cannot find them under Ofcom's list of which ADR is for which company http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2009/12/adr-schemes/

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Their code of practice is interesting

Thanks for that. Yes interesting.

I've just had a response back

I cannot offer you any kind off financial compensation for this, but would for both parties think it a good idea to terminate the customer relationship since you clearly are very unhappy to be part of this setup.

I can off course not prevent you from going to Country Court if you intend to do this but can advice you that Ikea have no responsibility towards this brand or setup.

Again – please inform me of the numbers you have signed up, and I will ensure you are refunded any payments you have made to our company and ensure your service is terminated accordingly.

I do apologize for the inconvenience you have had and hope you will have a better experience with a different vendor in the UK market.

I've replied

Laurits, I am not prepared to cancel the contract. You are not entitled to do so. If you do so, I will sue IKEA immediately.

I am happy to have my service provided as agreed in the contract. Presumably this is what you want for your customers as well.

You are quite wrong about the legal liability of IKEA. Consult a lawyer if you have any doubts.

Ikea’s lawyers will be aware of this even if you are not.

It is quite clear from the website that the Mobile Partners Group and IKEA are trading together as Family Mobile (a firm).

You would not be able to change this while this is an IKEA branded product. Even the phone says “IKEA” when you switch it on.

In fact there is no basis for suing CDRator at all because you are not named on the contract or on the website – and certainly not at the time the contract was made.

If CdRator is the sole liable party then there has been no notice to clients that their contracting partner has changed, and an opportunity to resile from the contract if they do not wish to enter into relations with a new contracting partner.

In fact is it the partnership with IKEA which gives continuity to the contracting entity and maybe relieves you of the responsibility of informing all of your customers of the change of contracting partner. You can’t have your cake and eat it, Laurits.

Frankly I think that you have a responsibility to exercise care over the use of IKEA’s trademark. If I were IKEA’s IP department, I would be very concerned about this. Believe me, I know what I am talking about on this point.

Henrik has asked me not to copy out to him anymore but I will send him this as because his company’s name is on the website, my contract is with MPG and IKEA and therefore, he is in the frame.

If you don’t believe what I say about Ikea’s shared joint and several liability for the Family Mobile phone service then I can easily issue a claim on line and we’ll see what a judge will say about it.

I hope that you think that this is worth all the fuss.

I wonder if he knows who he is dealing with :p

If it was anyone who was less versed in the law, they would be at the mercy of accepting the views of familymobile and CDRator. It always disapoints me when a telecoms company does not have the information that they are required to provide. The ADRs imho are toothless qangos but at least are a free way to get your complaint looked at. Court takes both time and money.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Well this morning I see that my online account page is reflecting some sms usage - although by about 3 days in arrears. Is this normal? These are international sms - sent from abroad.

One thing that I notice on the Family Mobile site - apart from the fact that the site is still misleadingly showing Mobhile Partners Group and fails to comply with the rules about display of address etc - is that they show a picture of the service staff.

http://www.familymobile.co.uk/about

I count 30 heads - but it is clear that there are only two people in reality and this was confirmed by one of them I spoke with. Very strange.

8B9R3Pe992hyoAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Hi Bank

You could also complain to the ASA, 'by showing that number of people, they are trying to demonstrate that they can provide a level of service' regards the following:-

'I count 30 heads - but it is clear that there are only two people in reality and this was confirmed by one of them I spoke with. Very strange'.

http://www.asa.org.uk/Complaints.aspx

Thanks for that. Good idea.

I took your advice and made the complaint. Very easy to do.

1) Ikea are representing themselves as partners with the Mobile Partners Group but this appears to be untrue as MPG sold their business to another company some time ago. MPG are aware that they are still being represented as being a partner of IKEA and they have told me that they are not happy about it. Despite this and despite the fact being drawn to the attention of IKEA, they continue to say that they are in partnership with MPG.

2) The webpage at http://www.familymobile.co.uk/about shows a picture of their service staff. The picture shows about 30 people. In fact the Family Mobile service department contains only 2 people. They are doing their best but they have told me that there are only two of them and the result is that there are long queues and extended waiting on the phone before one can access any support.

• 1 month later...

Well the IKEA Family mobile story gets worse.

Last week I truied to access their website but was denied access because their security certificate had expired!!

Amazing. You would have thought that a company the size of IKEA with all of their professiional resources could manage a website - but it seems that they can't.

IKEA seems to be out of their depth on this.

I sent them an email to raise the issue and eventually received this reply:-

Thank you for your email.

I apologise for the late reply. I do apologise if you have been misinformed but we have not had training here on Family mobile, we are to refer you to the provider who can be contacted via:

0800 112 4350

Family Mobile Customer Services

Mon-Fri-9am-5pm

Sat-Sun-9am-6pm

Bank Hols-9am-6pm

www.familymobile.co.uk

You will then be able to get the help you need regarding your Family mobile.

Kind Regards,

Lindsey

IKEA Customer Service

So it seems that IKEA invest no money on supporting their own staff in respect of this phone service which is sold on the back of the IKEA brand - and then they merely try to pass the buck.

IKEA don't deem to realise that when they decide to become a partner in an enterprise, that it comes with certain responsibilities as well.

The Family Mobile part of the operation has mostly poor customer service - and of course it is their systems which are not working corectly - which is why it is necessary to involve IKEA directly

One thing that I notice on the Family Mobile site - apart from the fact that the site is still misleadingly showing Mobile Partners Group and fails to comply with the rules about display of address etc - is that they show a picture of the service staff.

http://www.familymobile.co.uk/about

I count 30 heads - but it is clear that there are only two people in reality and this was confirmed by one of them I spoke with. Very strange.

I see that the image which suggested that there were 30 customer service staff has now been removed.

I still don't see any sign of an addresss - even though this has been flagged up directly to IKEA.

It still says that the service is provided in partnership with Mobile Partners - although I have been told that this is not true

Thanks for that. I have sent her a link.

Actually the problem with IKEA family mobile has become even worse.

There is meant to be an automatic top-up system so that the sim cards on the account never run out.

Also IKEA are meant to send you a message if the credit level falls below £3.00.

None of that is working.

My children are away on holiday - which is why I got them the SIM cards.

I received a call over the weekend from my son who had borrowed a phone from another boy. It turns out that both his phone and his 9 year old sister's phone had been blocked because they had gone into negative credit and the accounts hadn't been toppped up.

My daughter was distressed about being cut off from me and she didn't understand why it had happened.

I sent IKEA a serious message over the weekend and a notice of legal action. I think that IKEA and I are going to be having some serious conversation today.

They really are a shambles.

I would suggest anyone to steer clear of the IKEA Family Mobile service until IKEA has got it back under control

That's just great, you want to spend money (Top - up) with them and they don't want you too, a shambles is putting it lightly.

Called IKEA this morning and they are looking into it. Frankly I doubt whether they can sort it out. There is clealry a systems failure by Family Mobile.

I decided to try and contact their legal department as well. The switchboard operator tried to block me. He said that the best way is to write a letter. I told him that I wouldn't do this and that I wanted an email address. He refused to give me an email address and told me again that the best way to contact them is to send a letter.

I said - OK, I understand that this is the best way - what is the second best way? "There is no second best way."!!!

I managed to get the name of the head of legal from him - Elaine Mander and working on the basis of the email address of Carole Redditch above, I tried elaine.mander@ikea.com

Bingo! Got an automated reply - on my hols, back tomorrow, cheers Elaine.

We'll see

This is off-topic, but look at this!!!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/9113701/Ikea-paid-police-for-files-on-complaining-customers.html

Ikea 'paid police for files on complaining customers'

Furniture giant Ikea paid for secret police files to spy on "complaining" customers and "suspicious" staff at stores in France, it was claimed on Wednesday.

Blimey, almost makes me frightened to complain