Unable to pay order for costs - still on going but relates to unpaid service charges dating from 2008.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3828 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thanks Andy. I've got the forms done and will hand to court later today. Will be glad to have a break from it and try and enjoy the nice weather.

Hello there.

I expect it's a bit quiet here because it's the weekend. I expect the guys will be along later or tomorrow.

Did you hand the forms in please?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi can someone clarify the procedure that has to be followed in how costs are assessed.

The claimants solicitor has sent a list of the costs they want including estimated future charges.

Doesn't the solicitor have to follow the CPR re costs?

Don't they have to send an N245 Notice of commencement with a fully itemised bill of costs?

This case was on the small claims track.

Not for costs on an hearing only on a total case claim.(if you are referring to the £1500.00) thats should have been objected to on the day.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

My concern here relates to the total costs for the claim and not the interim cost order.

The claimant put in and was granted an application to enter judgment for the claim ( as I couldn't pay the interim cost order)

How does the procedure work for the claimant to claim costs that are 'to be assessed'.

I know they are entitled to fixed costs on the SCT so how will the other costs be assessed.

the order states 'costs to be assessed on the standard basis'

I need to now so I can respond to their letter claiming £6.5k in costs.

Thanks.

As per Post # 19 marloes

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

I'm getting v confused.

Does it mean that there will be a detailed assessment?

If so does the solicitor have to send an N252 Notice of commencement and a full and final bill of costs?

At the mo, I 've only had a bill including estimated costs.

• 3 months later...

Hi, haven't posted in a few months as things on my case are in limbo.

The claimant still hasn't applied to have costs assessed and the costs issue is so confusing I' m not sure what to do.

Does anyone have any info or experience on costs.

Thanks

Hi.

As you say its a pity you didnt seek help/advice about tyhe service charges earlier, Im thefreehold/service charges 'expert' here and may have been able to help.

So do you dispute any of the service charges, to be payable the freeholder must jump through a lot of hoops, the SC must be recoverable under the lease, it must be reasonable in amount, it must be demanded in accordance with the lease AND applicaple laws such as S47/S48 (Landlord name on demand), and correct Summary of Rights attached to demand, etc.

It's unclear from reading the posts whether final judgement has actual been made for this case, it only appears so far that judgment was made for the £1500 costs due to your change of defence, even though its on small claims track, it is the norm that you will have to agree to pay the other sides costs as a result of your change of defence BUT as mentioned above I'd conisder the cost should be perhaps a couple of hours of solicitors time = £400 NOT £1500, I cant see a reason to get counsel involved at that early stage...it may be too late to challange this though.

As for the £6K costs, it doesnt appear to me as if this is payable, has the court commented on this ?, as we all know whilst the c'hange defence' costs are recoverable, any other costs are NOT on small track UNLESS there is a very good reason.

So questions are:-

Have you got a defence to service charges (or believe they are too high or unreasonable, if so a transfer to LVT (now FTT) maybe possible.

Has the whole case actually been completed ?

• 1 month later...

Hi again, costs still not assessed but I have another question for those in the know.

I was unable to pay the ccj in full so applied to vary the order to instalments.

A hearing for the variation has been scheduled for early next year.

My bank is now going to pay the claimant the order in full.

My question is do I need to do anything regarding the hearing scheduled for next year?

Or is it the responsibility of the claimant once they've received payment to inform the court that the ccj is settled?

What happens if full payment is made to the claimant but they fail to inform the court?

The court needs to be informed by either you or the claimant that the matter is settled and to vacate the hearing...if its next week inform them ASAP.

Andy

Thanks for the reply Andy.

Is there a special form for this or will a letter suffice?

I rang the court and asked but the person on the phone said only the claimant could tell the court that payment had been made in full.

If its your hearing and application for variation then its your responsibilty to vacate that hearing ...not the claimants....they can inform them that the claim is settled.

If the costs were given as a seperate order and not included with the judgment then yes they are a separate matter.

Regards

Andy