Consequences of not sending letter before action?

Guest Skibbzy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4419 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest Skibbzy

Hi

I have just submitted my MCOL claim and have stupidly, after submitting it, realised I needed to send off a LBA to the company I wish to sue.

I understand that this letter is to benefit me in my defence to show I have tried to recover the money before taking the matter to court? I have been in talks with the company and have even attempted to recover it through a Visa chargeback unsuccessfully.

Have I destroyed my chances of winning this case before it has even started by not sending an LBA?

Look forward to hearing from you and thanks!

Skibbzy, had you written to the company before hand by way of a complaint !

Although it is usual to send a LBA.. if you have previously advised them that you will be taking court action, I think you are ok.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

You need to show to the court that legal action is the last resort and that the company in question has had the opportunity to rectify the matter. Keep any communications that you've had.

In legal action Ive started I have never been asked if I sent a LBA or any kind of pre-action correspondence, in theory it can be used at the end of a claim when then question of costs arises but thei isnt really applicable to small claims anyway.

Andy

Guest Skibbzy

Well at first I looked into getting a solicitor but she advised me that due to the amount I would be claiming I can't really afford her. She just told me to send an MCOL and never mentioned a letter before action.

The company is a PLC car dealership.

I have infact said to the company that further legal action will be taken but this was rather informally done and not in the form of an LBA.

Thanks for your replies, I hope I am okay in the matter then.

I used moneyclaimonline recently and rang and asked whether I had to send lba as I had already written informally asking for the money. The advisor told me it was entirely up to me but I was not obliged to. I did anyway just to be on the safe side.

Interesting becuase if you raed some of the RLP posts, one thing that RLp bang on about is that you must reply with a full defence, blah , blah, now whilst there is no specific Pre-Action Protocol about regarding civil recovery of damages due to theft, the general CPR is actually quite lengthy, in fact it is so involved that it almost requires both parties to correspond as much as if legal action has started, now whilst trying to resolve issues before litigation is recommended, to spend hours and great expense on it is surely not what the writer of CPr invisaged ?

A simple LBA asking for the sum involved is surely all that is required, give a time frame and then when no reply, start legal action.

CPR's are actual legal requirements, but i guess in theory a defendant could point to them being ignored if a court claim arrives out of the blue and they could be reffered to on the issue of costs.

Andy

Does CPR apply to small claims?

Apparently not, but they are required to adhere to Pre action protocol.

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/protocol/prot_pic

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Well..at the pre action point, and even if action has been taken its all pre allocation so its not on any track, at that point, yes the CPR has effect (although later in proceedings it no doubt would go to small track and then only the limited small track CPR would apply), so all the CPR and even the general costs regime applies. (This is important to remember that either side can be at risk of large costs UNTILL its on the small track).

Andy