Vodafone Default on credit file

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4419 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After obtaining an Equifax credit report in May last year I found out I had an £18 default notice placed under my name in January 2010 from Vodafone that was generated after I finished my contract and moved to another provider.

I immediatly called Vodafone to pay it off and explained to them that when cancelling my contract in September 2009 I was never made aware of any outstanding debt;

I also queried this defaul through Equifax and received this response:

The £18 default recorded on this customers account is as a result of the account being transferred to Fredprime debt collecting agency for non payment of the September 2008 invoices. The default was satisfied with a zero balance outstanding as Payment for the overdue debt was finally received in full on 17th March 2011. We received the customer’s cancellation notice on 6th August 2009 and the account was cancelled on 4th September 2009. Customer was liable for all charges up to this date. The default and adverse information recorded on the customers credit file for this account has been recorded correctly and is valid information that remains recorded on the customer credit file for 6 years from the date of default as the account was transferred to a debt collecting agency for non payment. We are obliged by Equifax, Experian and Callcredit credit reference agencies to show a true reflection of our customer’s payment history with Vodafone. It is required to be held on the customers credit file for 6 years for the purpose of credit referencing and will not be removed.

Yet when checking my Vodafone account on Equifax every single payment for the duration of the contract was a green box (which means paid on time)!?!?!?!

Proof of all payments made on time below:

Screenshot of my equifax report showing Vodafone account always paid on time and defaulting after contract cancel date, then the payment I made in 2011 after finding out this default existed

I have obscured my name and date of birth for obvious reasons

equifaxvodafonedefault2.png

However after settling the outstanding £18 in May 2011 I though no more about it for over a year until I applied for a mortgage at the beginning of this month; needless to say every lender I have applied to has refused my application due to this tiny default amount of £18 that Vodafone or their debt recovery associates never made me aware of!!!!!

As this contract was cancelled in September 2009 I do not have any of my old paperwork and whenever I have tried to call vodafone to plead for this default notice to be REMOVED from my credit file not just marked as Settled, I have hit a brick wall because I have no account numbers or paperwork left.

Is there anything more I can do, or anyone on the forum who can assist as I cannot buy my first house due to this three year old default for the tiny sum of £18 that I was never made aware of

I have been advised by a friend of the family who runs his own accountancy firm to contact Citizens advice and perhaps the small claims court to resolve the issue, is this correct?

Thank you

Edited by gordonhutchison

The statement is correct a default notice would have been sent

and if you did not act on that then the default is entered.

We have a VF rep on CAG I''l flag this for his attention.

The only chance you have of getting this removed is a gesture

of good will from VF as the amount is small and has been paid.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

This was tweeted by Vodafone:-

Vodafone UK ‏ @VodafoneUK

@Real_CAG Thanks, Lee will be on hand on CAG as soon as possible to help. ^SK

Retweeted by ConsumerActionGroup

Thank you for your input Brigadier; however I can say with 100% certainty that I never received any correspondance indicating that I had an outstanding debt balance, nor was I made aware of this when cancelling my Vodafone contract.

I have always been very conscientious when dealing with my finances, which is why as soon as I found out this default existed I immediatly called Vodafone to pay it off.

If Vodafone were willing to remove this default as a gesture of goodwill it would make such a massive difference to my problems trying to buy my first house....it was only for £18. I would never have risked adverse credit for such a small ammount

I've flagged it for Lees attentio.

Thank you very much, your help is appreciated

Hopefully Lee can help, if not I'll follow the information priveded on the forum and contract the Information Commisioners Office regarding the issue

Edited by gordonhutchison

Also follow this advice

Hi CAG members,

We thought it would be nice to introduce ourselves and to assure you all that our presence on CAG is with the very best of intentions.

vodafone UK has recently introduced a dedicated Web Relations Team which is keen to seek out customers who’re having difficulties with their accounts and feel that they have no other place to turn to than CAG and other consumer forums and blogs.

Naturally, it’s not possible for us to help directly with account specific queries on CAG and as such we would encourage those members who feel we can help them to contact us privately at customer.care@help.vodafone.co.uk quoting ‘WRT135 – CAG Forum’ in the subject line to ensure that it reaches the Web Relations Team.

When emailing us we would also ask that you either provide us with a link to your post or thread – if you’ve posted in another member’s thread please also provide your CAG username so that we can check what your query is.

and when you get an automated reply, it will have a 7 digit reference number. Post that here then Lee can match your details.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Also follow this advice

and when you get an automated reply, it will have a 7 digit reference number. Post that here then Lee can match your details.

Thank you for that; email sent.

I will update thread with reference no. when I receive a reply

Also follow this advice

Thank you for that; email sent.

I will update thread with ref no. when I receive a reply

Hi gordonhutchison,

Thanks for raising your concerns and for following the guidance provided while I was away.

I can confirm that I've received your email and as such will get back to you as soon as possible.

I've flagged it for Lees attentio.

Thanks for the PM Brig - it's appreciated as ever.

This was tweeted by Vodafone:-

Vodafone UK ‏ @VodafoneUK

@Real_CAG Thanks, Lee will be on hand on CAG as soon as possible to help. ^SK

Retweeted by ConsumerActionGroup

Thanks for retweeting us BankFodder and for making the OP aware that we'd seen their thread.

Kind regards to you all.

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

• 3 weeks later...