Gym membership cancellation, please help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4454 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm having a lot of trouble with my gym. I am signed up with a 12 month contract to David Lloyd. A couple of years ago I was with them as well but ended the membership as I sprained my neck and my spine during a session with one of their personal trainers. Ever since the accident I have had problems. I can just be sat down, just relaxing and then suddenly my back/neck will go and my movement will be very limited. I took out the membership again as I wanted to try to train my body to become stronger, develop around the injuries and hopefully stop this from happening. I used the membership a few times over a two week period, just going for a gentle swim but it was too much and I was in a lot of pain with my back causing work to be very difficult.

I phoned the gym, they told me if I got a letter from my GP, they would cancel the membership. Having had to cancel the membership once before, I asked them if I still had to give notice. They said no, just hand in the letter and they will cancel it straight away.

So I went to the GP, got a letter and handed it into the gym.

I didn't hear anything from them so I went into the gym to find out what was happening, they said the letter was not accepted due to the wording on the letter, the GP has put that I have gone to him and requested the letter. He has also put that he has reccomended gentle exercise e.g walking, that a gym membership is not required for.

1 - I don't understand how else the GP is supposed to know if I am coping or not unless I approach him to discuss the problems with my spine.

2 - It is the doccumentation they asked for.

3 - They say that the letter doesn;t rule out walking which they have treadmills for, why should I have to pay £70 a month for this?

So I spoke to the GP and they said there is no reason why they should not accept the letter. I called the gym, one of the girls at reception said she would leave a message with the manager in membership sales. I didn't hear anything so I have cancelled the Direct Debit.

The gym are now chasing for payment. I have now had conversations with management via email advising of the above. They have replied informing me that I am a liar and that I have not been miss informed as I was never told such things.

They insist that I WAS NOT told that a letter would service and I WAS NOT told that notice was not required and they will not accept the letter.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!! :-( They keep changing the rules and then making me out to be a liar. I have just returned to work after 3 months sick leave and can not afford the membership. They want me to pay £70 a month to use a treadmil to walk? If they won't accept a letter from the GP then what can I do?

I'm livid with the emails. A manager calling me a liar. :-x It's my word against theirs. How would they know? arghhh...

Please help.

Hi and welcome to CAG

I've moved your thread to the relevant forum where the guys will be happy to advise as soon as they are available.

ims

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

4. The CAG Interest Tutorial

Read Here

5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

6. Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement?

Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Hi Bibblesnlemmings,

They have replied informing me that I am a liar and that I have not been miss informed as I was never told such things.

Do you have this in an email from them. If so, print it off and keep it for future reference or use. Also, please confirm their exact wording.

In any event, they have no right to judge your ability to use the facilities, based on the content of your GP's letter.

You were told to supply a GP's letter confirming your condition, which you did.

You were told by their staff that this would enable you to cancel. It is your word against theirs and they have nothing that would enable them to prove that what you say is wrong or untruthful.

You are right to have cancelled the DD mandate - otherwise they would continue to take monthly payments ad-nauseum.

They will continue to demand payments and you will, no doubt, soon hear from ARC saying the matter will be referred for legal action if you do not pay up. They will not take any legal action. They never do.

Have you been receiving demands by letter from DL or from ARC. We can help you draft a reply but they don't give up easily, in the hope that they'll intimidate you and wear you down.

That is why we will probably tell you to ignore their threats in due course.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)