Animal Charities - sometimes not totally forthcoming

Sadcafe
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3779 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yes you should and unfortunately I suspect you weren't for a number of reasons. As a previous poster has pointed out, their rescue is very good with the history of dogs. A problem dog is far more obvious than a problem cat. People generally view cats as far less important to assess and rehome with the right family. The CPL in particular don't expect a cat to spend much time indoors with their owners as they believe cats must be allowed to roam at will. Certainly in my area they will not even consider a home with a cat-proofed garden. It is pot luck with this organisation as they are a hotch potch of local groups, you may hit lucky and you may not.

Hi, Cats Protection here.

This is a very sad story in which a cat, Ebony, was handed in to us as a stray. Part of Ebony’s ear had been surgically removed before Ebony came into us.

Ebony was with our centre for two months during which time she was seen by the centre’s vet on five occasions but there were no clinical signs or symptoms of cancer.We understand that Ebony was registered with Sadcafe’s own vet immediately after she was adopted by Sadcafe and that symptoms of cancer first manifested themselves some three months later.

We make it clear in our paperwork that all cats which come into our care receive a full veterinary check but that it is impossible to give a guarantee of health. Cats are living creatures and some pre existing conditions can show themselves at a later date or new conditions can develop. Very often with rescue animals there is no way of knowing the history because they have strayed or have been abandoned. In this case, we did eventually manage to obtain the clinical notes from the vet who carried out the surgery but these threw no light on the Ebony’s condition; the vet who carried out the surgery did not diagnose cancer.

Symptoms first appeared six months after the surgery.Sadcafe was provided with all the information we had on Ebony at the time of homing. As soon as the centre heard that Sadcafe was concerned about Ebony, they contacted Sadcafe and offered to take Ebony back into their care. The member of staff who spoke to Sadcafe was subjected to extreme verbal abuse.

The centre has since received and continues to receive communications through the post which they find both upsetting and threatening. We have also had to remove numerous postings from Sadcafe from our Facebook pages and other internet sites. We also received threats of legal action from Sadcafe’s solicitors. We disclosed all of the information and evidence (including veterinary evidence) in our possession to Sadcafe’s solicitors. They wrote to us shortly afterwards to formally advise us that they were no longer acting in this matter. We have since been through the various issues with Sadcafe on numerous occasions but to no avail.

Staff and volunteers at our centres work there because they love cats. We take in stray and abandoned cats and cats which people no longer want. We provide in the region of 50,000 such cats with a second chance each year.

All of our cats receive a vet check and blood tests. They are also microchipped, neutered and vaccinated.

We also carry out extensive neutering and education programmes to help reduce the problems which these cats face.

You may like to know that Cats Protection has helped around one million cats in the past five years – the majority of these cats have been cared for by our volunteers and we can assure you all that the welfare of each and every one of the cats in our care is always our prime concern.Many thanks - Cats Protection

Edited by silverfox1961
added spacing

Thanks to cats Protection for posting on this thread.

It is always very encouraging to see organisations which are prepared to enter into a foum dialogue and present their side of the story.

The site team will be reviewing the contents of this thread to see whether it all falls withini our forum rules.

In the meantime as everyone has had their say I am closing the thread.

It does seem to me that this is a very sad situation and which to a certain extent has gone out of control.

I hope that people will be able to move on now - but I may make a further comment after the thread review.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this difficult discussion.

• 10 months later...

Well what a surprise to find that this is open now. I was just looking through some items on the consumer page and saw that this was again active, what has happened for it to be opened again? Maybe Sadcafe wasn't wrong and I felt that this article was closed too soon and didn't allow any feedback from Sadcafe.

• 1 month later...

Hello, Helloagain39

Might be able to shed some light on your question, as I have read this article on "What Consumer" and it says Sadcafe was going to go to the small claims court. Having some knowledge of small claims if Sadcafe had lost they would have said something, but if Sadcafe won their case they might have been gagged, so not surprised you haven't heard anything. So not getting any reply from Sadcafe suggests that they are correct on what they are saying.

personally i would support cats protection the entire way

when we looked at cats we were supported the entire way, someone came round and showed us each cat

asked what we were looking for, advised us what cats supported this

we looked around and one cat caught our fancy called aslan (now simba once a lion always a lion) wasnt avaliable for 3 more days

cheeky chap, when the chap tried to show him to us he tried to get into the lady next door

sat when held

the only question was wither he was good with kids, they said he didnt know but he hadnt reacted badly to kids yet

that was 7 years ago, he was 4 then

since then we have had 3 kids, he has never clawed one, despite being dragged down the hall by his tail

hes been the best cat we could have ever asked for

the only issue we ever had was he liked bringing home live presents, including a mouse hiding in my wifes boot (not found till she put it on)

thats died out as he got older

i beleave the cats protecting will always give out the best advise possible, we were even told how he arrived at cats protection (cardboard box poor lad)

it may depend on shelter or volentier but i will always recommend it over rspca especially after being show the "probably here for life" section

they never have a cat put down unless nessecery

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

• 1 month later...

Well, Cats Protection League, I support your work, and although its been 7 years since I had a cat, at one time I had six all at once from you, all fine and dandy. The only reason I haven't approached you again is I believe my border collie would kill a cat.

However, you surely realise how heart broken Sadcafe is, and this is why she sounded off at your staff - suggesting she returned what was now a much loved pet who needed her, as if it was something that could be exchanged like a frock from M & S. It don't work like that with people who truly care about animal welfare.

I had a parrot from a pet shop some years ago, I was lied to, it broke my heart when the disease ridden parrot died on me. You can bet your bottom dollar I went into that shop, gave them a mouthful and used language I am ashamed of even today. Because I was hurting. I took legal action and I won, not that it made me feel any better about it all. The petshop deserved legal action as it turned out. Never bought a pet again, always adopted.

Of course it is bad that your staff were verbally abused, it was wrong that I did it to the pet shop staff. I'm sure they have got over it. Sadcafe continues to hurt. Has anyone said "we are so sorry that you are hurting over Ebony's loss?". She genuinely thinks you don't understand how she is feeling. This is making her frustrated and that combined with the hurt is making her hit out at you. Its not difficult really is it? Anyway lets hope its out of her system and she is starting to get over it all. That's what's really important here. After all, she's obviously a very kind soul, otherwise you would have had Ebony back with you wouldn't you?

During my working life it was also very wrong of my tenants to rear up on me, threaten me, swear at me, and in some cases attempt to manhandle me. And in 99% of cases it was because they were hurting in someway and hitting out. I had to understand that in my line of work, dealing with people and very emotive issues, so you have to understand it as well. Don't make it right, but it happens.

To my mind, it would have been simply resolved by a meaningful apology for the whole situation, regardless of who made what errors, an acceptance that what was said on the phone was an emotional reaction to the situation, an acceptance of how hurt this lady was, and perhaps, when poor Sadcafe had enough time to feel more like herself, the offer of a couple of your kittens, in prime health.

Thats how I see it anyway but nothing could ever be that simple could it?

I tend to agree with you.

I have huge respect for Cats Protection and all the rehoming charities, and Sadcafe was wrong to abuse the staff, but she was clearly very, very upset at the time, and being a kind and loving owner she didn't just pack poor Ebony back in a carrier and dump her back at the home. In fact it was probably that suggestion which made her so angry. Ebony's wound after surgery looks so painful, and Sadcafe kept her and gave her loving one-to-one attention that she would not have got if she had been returned. She died loved.

I do think this could have been better handled by Cats Protection.

Yep Daniella, when the man at the pet shop suggested I returned the parrot's corpse in a box as if it were of no consequence I went mental! You're right, it will have been that throw away remark about "returning it" that caused poor Sadcafe to flip.

Also, whilst on the subject of the rescues, my Taz is a rescue, he was at an "outpost" of the border collie rescue. The lady who held him was due to go on holiday and she told me he was due to be put to sleep as they couldn't find a home for him. So I took him then and there. I was in a flat for the first time, so I should have been suspicious at no home visit, and general approval.

Well, its a good job it was me who saw him first and fell in love with him because I've never known a dog be so much trouble - beating up other dogs and so on. It took a long time and lots of patience to get him to turn the corner, but we got there.

My point is - how irresponsible of the rescue - what if he had been set home with children, when he was a biter? And they needn't tell me they didn;t know either, he was in a rescue with many other collies, and was the only one made to live in the kennel area - alone. All of his problems were related to other dogs. They knew.

I didn't complain - I felt lucky to have Taz, and no way would I have "sent him back". Just goes to show you though, outposts of the big rescues can and do operate differently according to who is running the local show. .

I don't have dogs, but I do have cats. The wonderful Mayhew in NW London has a no destruct policy and they have always been brilliant since I first went there almost 20 years ago. I've adopted two cats, one severely traumatised - a cruelty case - and the other badly neglected, and they were totally open with me about the cats' histories. My mother has had three of their cats too. In return I've taken in four strays and they have rehomed them all. Two had FIV and other rescue centres will just put cats to sleep if they have this, but these two were rehomed, one within two days. :-)

I also took in a fifth, dying, stray cat on a Saturday night, and they immediately called the emergency vet for her. Sadly she died, but they did everything they could for 48 hours to save her until they realized she couldn't recover so she had to be put to sleep. At least she died in the warm with a stroke and a soft voice to comfort her. Still makes me cry to think about her.

No,didn;t see that one. generally, I can;t watch sob stories, I'm too much of a softie where animals are concerned. I think it all started when my mother took me to see Ring of Bright Water when I was a little girl - I've been breaking my heart over animals ever since.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Would appear that sadcafe is not the only one to have had a bad deal with this lot. Seems that people are wising up to these organisations that are claiming the welfare of the animal comes before their wage packet, paid by donations!!

Unable to do a link but if you search dailymail, cats protection receives 62m a year and spends 12m on staff wages - see how they treat their volunteers, you will get the idea.