Halifax withdrawing from Pet Insurance; I have a complicated pet!

selbylass
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4465 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

No. I've had the policy 6 years but I put the last post as an addition to the about the 20% costs before I read yours about previous costs. I'm going through thev papers and I'll post them in a minute.

Your other question about M&S rates: no I haven't seen it. Guessing mine wasn't so bad then?

I replied to your email but it bounced back. I sent it again (after slightly changing the address) and it's showing as sent!:-)

I got the one with your contact details sent to admin. I haven't received any others

We have been considering insurance for our three Yorkies through Animal Friend as it works out at £26 per month, but now not so sure as this a real horror story and one to cause great concern. We are not well off as we are on pension and to be told something simial rin 5 or 6 years time woud be devastating! Luckily all out Yorkies are under 13 months old.

I didn't send it to admin. Maybe you haven't got mine then. Do you want me to sendit again to admin?

Billy's policy premiums:

Feb 2006-2007 £151.22 + £50 excess

Feb 2007-2008 £153.71 + £50 excess

Feb 2008-2009 £166.71 + £50 excess

Feb 2009-2010 £199.34 + £60 excess

Feb 2010-2011 £231.01 + £100 excess

Feb 2011-2012 £363.25 + £75 excess + 20% costs.

Hi Surfer01,

I don't know what to say to you.

Billy was 18 months old when we took out this policy. It was rated one of the best on the market at the time, by an independent market researcher, and I never for one second throughout the 6 years would have thought Halifax, a big bank, would have done what they have. I have a 14 month old bitch but I'm insuring her with petplan. It's more expensive than others but it's the only one I can find that 'guarantees in writing' life-time of the pet.

No. I've had the policy 6 years but I put the last post as an addition to the about the 20% costs before I read yours about previous costs. I'm going through thev papers and I'll post them in a minute.

Your other question about M&S rates: no I haven't seen it. Guessing mine wasn't so bad then?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?335739-Pet-Insurance-Halifax-amp-LTSB-pulling-out-of-the-market-Will-M-amp-S-be-next

Post 3 shows the increases in premium for the M&S policy

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I've just opened a letter from Agria (the underwriters). They've explained that there are 3 parties involved.

I/we bought the policy fom Halifax, they 'introduced' clients to BDML,

BDML were then allowed to arrange pet insurance policies using the Halifax brand

BDML entered into a separate arrangement with Agria to providing the underwriting capacity for the Halifax scheme

and I quote,

"for new policies added and existing policies renewing during a 3 year period starting in September 2008.

When Halifax made the decision to withdraw they also withdrew permission for BDML to issue new pet insurance contracts and renew existing contracts using the Halifax brand name. As a consequence there was nolonger a sheme for Agria to underwrite but we continue to meet our obligations to BDML and in turn to Halifax customers to underwrite individual customer's policies until their current years insurance runs out."

He goes on,

"With no direct connection to Halifax, we have not been made aware of the reason why Halifax have withdrawn from the market other than what has been put in a range of FAQ's "Halifax constantly reviews its insurance products to make sure they remain competative and following thses reviews it has decided to withdraw from the pet insurance market". I also understand that Halifax have said they want to concentrate on their core products."

He notes from the copy of the letter I sent him from BDML (to me informing me of the withdrawal, etc) that it states that Agria decided not to offer renewal terms to Halifax customers and explains ."The reasons why we cannot offer renewal is because there is no longer a scheme for us to underwrite and with no direct connection with Halifax, we have no authority to issue insurance contracts using their brand or directly offer insurance to their customers. I would like to confirm that Halifax did not contact us with the view to continue to offer insurance for their customers."

He goes on to give me a name & number.

Is he saying if Halifax gave their permission they could offer alternative/similar policies without the Halifax brand?

It is clearly all down to Halifax. Anyway, it is Halifax with whom you had the contract and it is Halifax who you will have to sue.

Let us know as soon as you have your estimate.

In the meantime you may as well write to Halifax immediately and tell them that you are preparing to sue them and that they are entitled to carry out their own inspection and get their own estimate of they want before the legal action commences.

Send it recorded

Wow, they are big increases.

I know the guy in claims at Halifax said premium increases were directly related to the risks, i.e claims history, postcode and average prices vets in the area charged. Billy's claims were fairly small (about £400 p.a.) and we live in a very rural area. Maybe that's why mine seem so reasonable. I really hope you keep your cover and M&S don't do to you what Halifax & Loyds TSB have done.

Hi

Just to give you an update. I still haven't had any reponse from Halifax but the photographer from Metro & Daily Mail have been and I've emailed copies of everything to the relevant people from the above. Metro are waiting for the Halifax to get back to them on a point they seemed to be unprepaired for. I hope there isn't something I've missed; I have a feeling they are now scrutinising for loopholes.

Well next week we will start writing to them about the 20%. We'll deal with the larger issue later.

Let's hope the publicity brings in some extra people.

50,000 pet owners face crippling vet bills after their insurance is axed

Marc Gander, founder of Consumer Action Group, which is preparing the legal challenge, said: ‘The bank has gone back on its promises and betrayed these policyholders.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ance-axed.html

Edited by citizenB

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

BCOBS

I went through all this with halifax back in september last year. It was featured in the crusader section in the daily express, still online at dailyexpress.co.uk

i eventually settled with halifax at circa £10k and got a years policy (but not with existing condition covered.) Although it seems good, my dog has a lifetime of expenses ahead of him, and I very much doubt it will be enough for him but on balance I didn't think i'd do any better.

I am presently persuing Agria and axa (the present and former underwriters). The former claims in correspondance "they cannot be responsible for marketing promises (referring to life long cover)!" I nearly fell off my chair when i read that!

Edited by MikBandit

Bankfodder - just a quick note to say that I sent you my contact details for your Moneybox item on 1st Feb, direct to your email address as requested in your PM message. After reading this I am not sure you got them.

Nothing received - unless your name begins with a J D - in which case we received an email on Wednesday - 13.50. We responded to you but have had no reply back from you.

• 4 weeks later...