Ombudsman and Pensioner Mother

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4498 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone. A few years back my mother queried her PPI with Barclays and got the usual run around and then contacted the Ombudsman. Unfortunately a house fire, serious illness and multiple organ failure all contributed to her forgetting about the Ombudsman. By December last year she felt well enough to make contact with the Ombudsman again but a reply today from them is making her think only certain people have successful claims. The Ombudsman already knows about her health problems but now will only proceed if she supplies exact dates for her illnesses because they need a reason why they should submit any claim without exceptional circumstances why she delayed contacting the Ombudsman.

I cannot recall reading anywhere where people have been asked the same question especially when such facts have already been submitted, to the best of her memory. The house fire took care of most of the documentation lost but she supplied answers to the Ombudsman that were truthful. If it goes on like this she'll have been mis sold a PPI Policy but be one of the few complainants who failed because she has little memory of the dates she was ill. The delay WAS because of illness not because she deliberately wanted to slow down her claim.

Would it be worh contacting a professional claims company or does anyone think there is still a chance of success with her claim? I constantly support her on this matter, try to bolster her confidence but the same old support is starting to sound tired over-used.

Hi

How many years ago are we talking for this original claim?

Sine the Judicial Review, you can re-open the case yourself.

You could SAR the lender to get as much information as they hold in respect of the account and this would be a start in doing it yourself.

I would not recommend a CMC to do this....they charge an awful lot of money for doing something that you can easily do yourself.

ims

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

4. The CAG Interest Tutorial

Read Here

5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

6. Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement?

Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Hi everyone. A few years back my mother queried her PPI with Barclays and got the usual run around and then contacted the Ombudsman. Unfortunately a house fire, serious illness and multiple organ failure all contributed to her forgetting about the Ombudsman. By December last year she felt well enough to make contact with the Ombudsman again but a reply today from them is making her think only certain people have successful claims. The Ombudsman already knows about her health problems but now will only proceed if she supplies exact dates for her illnesses because they need a reason why they should submit any claim without exceptional circumstances why she delayed contacting the Ombudsman.

I cannot recall reading anywhere where people have been asked the same question especially when such facts have already been submitted, to the best of her memory. The house fire took care of most of the documentation lost but she supplied answers to the Ombudsman that were truthful. If it goes on like this she'll have been mis sold a PPI Policy but be one of the few complainants who failed because she has little memory of the dates she was ill. The delay WAS because of illness not because she deliberately wanted to slow down her claim.

Would it be worh contacting a professional claims company or does anyone think there is still a chance of success with her claim? I constantly support her on this matter, try to bolster her confidence but the same old support is starting to sound tired over-used.

This may explain their stance

http://fsahandbook.info/FSA/html/handbook/DISP/2/8

DISP 2.8.2 rule_icon.gif01/08/20111, 2The Ombudsman cannot consider a complaint if the complainant refers it to the Financial Ombudsman Service

1) more than six months after the date on which the respondent sent the complainant its final response or redress determination; or3

(2) more than: (a) six years after the event complained of; or (if later)

(b) three years from the date on which the complainant became aware (or ought reasonably to have become aware) that he had cause for complaint;

unless the complainant referred the complaint to the respondent or to the Ombudsman within that period and has a written acknowledgement or some other record of the complaint having been received;

unless

3) in the view of the Ombudsman, the failure to comply with the time limits in DISP 2.8.2 R or DISP 2.8.7 R4, 5 was as a result of exceptional circumstances; or

(4) the Ombudsman is required to do so by the Ombudsman Transitional Order; or

(5) the respondent has not objected , on the grounds that the time limits in DISP 2.8.2 R or DISP 2.8.7 R have been exceeded4, 5, to the Ombudsman considering the complaint.

Personally I would argue that your mother originally approached (if she did) the ombudsman service within the time periods specified above.

Under no circumstances would I recommend going to a claim management service. In most instances they will only try as already done ask the ombudsman to investigate.

Edited by wfspayback