Parent and Child parking spaces in major supermarket chains.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4539 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Would I park in one in the middle of the day? No. It is the extra width that parents with small children need just as it was the extra space I needed when my mother was in a wheelchair and I know the difference it makes. Do I park in them at eleven o'clock at night or five o'clock in the morning? Too right I do. I park as close to the entrance doors as possible. At that time it's the proximity and lighting that matters and I'm unlikely to be inconveniencing anyone.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To distil all the comments down to a few words there is a mentality of total laziness in the minds of some of the posters .

IMOHO the organisations are to be commended in setting aside areas for people of particular needs ( whether or not the areas are legally enforceable ) and taking our Grandson shopping sometimes,I appreciate the extra space available to get him in and out of the car .

To see drivers desperately seeking a parking spot close to an entrance so as not to have to walk a few yards extra is pathetic , exercise to walk off the Krispy Kream doughnuts that are placed just by the tills or entrance would do them the world of good .

For my part even though having had 2 heart attacks ,When without said Grandson I will park as far away from an entrance as possible , just to keep away from inconsiderate door bangers , and for EXERCISE

Don’t knock shops for trying to help !

As stated earlier, the question was not on the morality of parking in these spaces, it was the legality of the PPC's issuing tickets for parking in these spaces.

And as for the ''discrimination'', I am perfectly entitled to my opinion, as you are yours.

Take it one stage further, let's have ''Whites Only'' spaces next to the P&C spaces, because as far as I'm concerned, there is no difference.

Then there clearly is something wrong with you. Your comparison is nothing short or ridiculous and to be honest should be moderated. Discrimination dosn't come into it... more like consideration for others. These spaces are provided for a group of people who need the extra space for reasons which are perfectly obvious to me. Clearly you do not have small children who you have to take shopping with you. My youngest is now 7 so I do not need the extra space to get him in and out of the car so I leave the spaces for those who need them. It's simple really. As for the legal side of the argument, no you cannot be 'fined' for using the spaces if you do not 'qualify' to use them. It just depends how inconsiderate you are to whether you abuse the facility or not.

With regards to the placement of certain parking spaces, in the asda by me, the disabled spaces are by the store entrance. The baby spaces are in several different areas. Some are closer to the shop but the majority are around the side next to a walkway with a pay n display meter close by.

Our asda car park differs from most as it is actually council owned and run so a ticket in this instance would be enforcable I believe.

I have two young children - 3 and 1. I appreciate the extra space afforded by these spaces to allow my eldest independance to get into his seat himself while I get the baby into his seat without damaging the cars either side of me and without bumping his head on the doorframe due to some unthoughtful person who has parked 3inches from my car.

I believe it's all down to consideration for our fellow humans. Regarding ticket enforcability it all depends on who owns the land.

"In this situation, you know what you have to do? Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming." Dory - Finding Nemo.:wink:

Take it one stage further, let's have ''Whites Only'' spaces next to the P&C spaces, because as far as I'm concerned, there is no difference.

Then you seem to be unable to differentiate between managing a car park with safety of children in mind, and discrimination against minorities based on arbitrary prejudice. I suggest you have a think about it and see if you can work out the difference.

I think perhaps the OP used a less than helpful comparison there Jamberson. But the theory behind it is right enough. The presence of these spaces does amount to discrimination. Having a child is not a disability after all, but a choice.

The users of these spaces want them for the wider space to get in and out. OK fair enough, but put them at the far end of the car park and let them walk the pedestrianised walkway to the shop.

Sailor sam, you mention single parents. Well I assume the other parent was present at the conception and should be available for babysitting. As for not using my car in these places. I often use my old van to go to these places rather than my car dues to not being concerned if it does get scratched etc. But frankly if I am in my car I will use them as I see no reason why a person with a squeeling brat should get preferential treatment.

I think perhaps the OP used a less than helpful comparison there Jamberson. But the theory behind it is right enough. The presence of these spaces does amount to discrimination. Having a child is not a disability after all, but a choice.

I guess they should also ban express check outs for those with baskets because they choose not to buy a big trolley of food!

This whole thread is a bit unnecessary. Direct your vitriol against the real villains! Private parking companies that torment the elderly when their blue badge slips off the dash, or mothers who get harassed when they're in parent bays if a 'child seat isn't on display'.

• Haha 1

The users of these spaces want them for the wider space to get in and out. OK fair enough, but put them at the far end of the car park and let them walk the pedestrianised walkway to the shop.

Sailor sam, you mention single parents. Well I assume the other parent was present at the conception and should be available for babysitting. As for not using my car in these places. I often use my old van to go to these places rather than my car dues to not being concerned if it does get scratched etc. But frankly if I am in my car I will use them as I see no reason why a person with a squeeling brat should get preferential treatment.

Your assumption of the first bit is correct, but your way off the mark with the last. She is certainly 'not available' for baby sitting. In any event, I do not use the CP bays because my son is old enough not to need them. So i believe it would be inconsiderate for me to use them. I certianly do not think they descriminate others or provide 'preferential treatment'. They are simply provided as a facility for parents with small children, just like baby changing facilities. It's just a pity that there are some people like yourself who throw their toys out of their prams about them.... :lol:

There have been some really nasty comments in this thread.

There is a good reason why parent and child spaces are provided - families spend more.

As for those without children who park in them I reserve the right to block you in when you are taking the space from me and my small children.

Would I park in one when the kids weren't with me (even if the child seats are in the car) of course not its just wrong.

However, I do agree that they should be time bound so anyone can use them when small children should be in bed - i.e. outside say 8am - 7pm anyone should be able to use them.

Also they do not need to be right by the door - my main consideration is safety so a safe walking route so the main attraction at my local Sainsburys is space for the kids to stand by the car if needs be and the footpath to the store not closeness.

Interestingly this store also has a number of extra wide spaces (probably because there are so many Range Rovers!) for anyone to use and they are always busy.

This whole thread is a bit unnecessary. Direct your vitriol against the real villains! Private parking companies that torment the elderly when their blue badge slips off the dash, or mothers who get harassed when they're in parent bays if a 'child seat isn't on display'.

How long would PPCs remain in business if they relied on badges falling off the dash etc, the truth is they only exist because there is a need. Companies like Tescos make billions a year and spend millions on PR do you really think they would sit in their boardroom and think 'hey I have a great idea lets really annoy our customers by giving them parking tickets!'.

Looks like I opened up a can of worms here.

The ''whites only'' comment was me being flippant, and apologies to anyone who was offended by it.

I can see the various arguments for having the P&C spaces, honestly I can, but I still don't agree with them. These spaces tell me straight away that the minute I drive into one of these car parks, I am being treated differently, therefore, in my very humble opinion, that is discrimination.

And as previouslly stated, I questioned the legality of issuing 'fines' for parking in these spaces, not the morality.

Looks like I opened up a can of worms here.

The ''whites only'' comment was me being flippant, and apologies to anyone who was offended by it.

Fair enough.

I can see the various arguments for having the P&C spaces, honestly I can, but I still don't agree with them. These spaces tell me straight away that the minute I drive into one of these car parks, I am being treated differently, therefore, in my very humble opinion, that is discrimination.

Sounds more like paranoia to me. And I still cannot see how it is discrimination. If you feel that strongly about it, perhaps you should report the said supermarket to the relevant body that you have been discriminated against by parking there.

And as previouslly stated, I questioned the legality of issuing 'fines' for parking in these spaces, not the morality.

Which I (and others) have answered... 'fines' or 'penalties' cannot be legally recovered by a private concern. Only those with legal status (i.e. Inland Revenue, HM Court, the police or a Local Authority ect) can do so. Anyone else would have to persue via the civil court. However, as someone mentioned, a supermarket would have the right to ban people from their store/car park if they did not comply with their 'terms'.

How long would PPCs remain in business if they relied on badges falling off the dash etc, the truth is they only exist because there is a need. Companies like Tescos make billions a year and spend millions on PR do you really think they would sit in their boardroom and think 'hey I have a great idea lets really annoy our customers by giving them parking tickets!'.

And who creates this 'need'? PPC's aren't going to get contracts if they tell potential clients they won't do much and they're not really needed.

As for Tesco - I think you give them too much credit. They don't have a clue about any of it and just get a company in 'to look after the car park' as a matter of course. Customer services is the front line, designed to swat off any grumbling customers.

And who creates this 'need'? PPC's aren't going to get contracts if they tell potential clients they won't do much and they're not really needed.

As for Tesco - I think you give them too much credit. They don't have a clue about any of it and just get a company in 'to look after the car park' as a matter of course. Customer services is the front line, designed to swat off any grumbling customers.

The need is created by the idiots who don't care where they park. Tesco spend thousands on market research before changing the colour of the label on their jam, they are hardly going to risk losing customers if it wasn't needed. Do you think they live in a cave or something, car parking companies are one of the most hated businesses in the country why would they hire them if they were not needed?

There have been some really nasty comments in this thread.

There is a good reason why parent and child spaces are provided - families spend more.

I think you have hit the nail on the head here.

Personally, though I have no children, I think these bays are a good thing - they limit the possibility of brats damaging my car by opening doors on it.

From observation at my local supermarket, what they also need is larger spaces reserved for people who are incapable of parking a normal-sized car in a normal-sized space.

I think you have hit the nail on the head here.

Personally, though I have no children, I think these bays are a good thing - they limit the possibility of brats damaging my car by opening doors on it.

From observation at my local supermarket, what they also need is larger spaces reserved for people who are incapable of parking a normal-sized car in a normal-sized space.

So we have found the answer to the problem then. Rename P&C spaces to'I'm a numpty who is incapable of driving like a proficient driver' space! :lol:

I was in a car park in Stoke-on-Trent on Tuesday, with my pastie and bottle of water, [british Standard tap], watching a gentleman who tok nine[!] tries, to insert a Yaris into a space.

To be fair, there was a car parked on either side of him, but in the next-but-one bay each side!

All of these are on behalf of a friend.. Cabot - [There's no CCA!]

CapQuest - [There's no CCA!]

Barclays - Zinc, [There's no CCA!]

Robinson Way - Written off!

NatWest - Written off!

I think I remember him, I was a teenager in the 'fifties and 'sixties so I'm quite old, according to my grand daughter, 15 and a half!

The chap was probably demonstrating to his wife how easy it is to park, "Not the mess you make of it, Duck"

He didn't take a wide enough "swing" to start with, so his first swipe at it ended up with the front of the car centrally in the space.

Unfortunately, the rear nearside wheel was on the line, so out he came, and then back in, without turning his steering wheel - twice!

Then he managed to work out that the steering wheel must be a fairly important part of the process, so then had three of four more goes, but turning the wheel the wrong way each time.

This eventually got him with the original wheel further over the line, and his front offside wheel over the right hand line, he was slowly turning the car parallel to the car park!

Then, divine guidance, I think, he reversed along the next space, turned out and round for a second entry - a couple of shuffles, using his new found, steering wheel knowledge, and he was in - must have only taken ten or eleven minutes in total.

It was a Council Car park,; if the CEO had been a bit lively, he could have stuck him with one ticket at the end of each move, that would have been, erm, let's see, ooh lot's!

All of these are on behalf of a friend.. Cabot - [There's no CCA!]

CapQuest - [There's no CCA!]

Barclays - Zinc, [There's no CCA!]

Robinson Way - Written off!

NatWest - Written off!