How long should a freezer last?

gr9cie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4550 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My father bought a Norfrost 10L chest freezer from Comet to replace his old freezer which died after 13 years.

In under 2 years the Norfrosts thermostat packs up. Independent engineers report obtained.

Exchange of dialogue with Comet re SOG quality/not fit for purpose/durability etc

They naturally wont budge as over 1 year and offer an engineer at £69+ to report and replace a part available online for £13.62 inc vat.

Yes we can get the part and get it fixed but the principle is wouldn't a consumer expect a freezer to last longer than under 2 years especially when the previous in the self same position lasted 13 years?

Have quoted a Comet person the EU 2 year warranty but was told we weren't in the ...EU............i wish!!!

should we be right in expecting a freezer to last more than 2 years? this isnt a disposable item...

Hi and welcome to CAG

I think it should last a damn sight longer than 2 years.

Did the engineer say the fault was a manufacturing fault? The rules on SoGA state that in the first 6 months of use, any fault is presumed to be there from the beginning. After 6 months, you have to prove it was a manufacturing fault-hence the engineer.

You have two choices. report them to Trading Standards or sue them.

Actually, there may be a third if you haven't tried this.

bob.darke@comet.co.uk

The Boss

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

• 2 weeks later...

We are still fighting. Did send a letter to the CEO but Comet has now been sold hasn't it! Will email Darke.

Bottom line is the thermostat gave up after 21 months so Comet say they cant cover for 'fair wear and tear'. They are therefore saying Norfrost freezers do not last longer than 21 months, shorter than the life of some frozen food products! Maybe consumers should hang around the freezer section telling prospective buyers not to expect them to see 2 years out....................

Terrible customer service for a replacement part costing less than £14.

Even sent them a flow chart from Office of fair trading showing they should repair at their own cost.

Different things wear out sooner than others (that'll be me then :| ) however, if you went to court with this, I think a judge may just rule in your favour.

I don't think they are implying Norfrost wear out any sooner. I suspect they mean that some people use a freezer more than others and in that case, they wear out quicker. How I have no idea. A freezer is a freezer!

I would send a letter before action but only if you are prepared to go to court. Otherwise, pay the £14

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

• 2 weeks later...

Arghhhh spoke too soon!!!!!!

Comet kept father waiting a week then on the day of the 'fix' call to cancel as the thermostat hasn't been paid for....for what we thought was going to be a free fix. Now getting letters/communications from different departments. Father gets conned into paying £30 for a thermostat retailing at less than £15 and still has to wait a week for fitting. Ok they have waved the call out charge but this is appauling customers service taking advantage of an elderly person desperate for a working freezer....

Feel more letters coming on....

Buy from Comet at your peril!

Arghhhh spoke too soon!!!!!!

Comet kept father waiting a week then on the day of the 'fix' call to cancel as the thermostat hasn't been paid for....for what we thought was going to be a free fix. Now getting letters/communications from different departments. Father gets conned into paying £30 for a thermostat retailing at less than £15 and still has to wait a week for fitting. Ok they have waved the call out charge but this is appauling customers service taking advantage of an elderly person desperate for a working freezer....

Feel more letters coming on....

Buy from Comet at your peril!

Add up all the costs you have incurred yourself when trying to get Comet to undertake their legal obligations, and detail them onto a piece of paper.

I would send a letter to them (or even an email), detailing all these costs, that the repair has not been carried out satisfactorily, and give them a deadline before taking small claims action against them - members on this board will help you and Comet may not even file a defence. You can also claim the court cost back (and through complex formulas, also remuneration for your time spent dealing with Comet).

Don't let them keep you "on hold" as such forever, you'll get burnt out and decide its not worth it, which is exactly what they want to happen. Wait for some more comments from other members first to ensure this is the right course of action.

Edited by sparx

write back to the ceo

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...