getting report by the train inspector for refuse to pay the £20 penalty fare

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4646 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello missviolet. People here are trying to help you, but what you are posting is really hard to understand. I'm starting to wonder if you're for real, because despite our best efforts, we don't seem to have got anywhere much since yesterday.

From what I understand from the forum as a non-industry person, I would say from what I think you've said that you broke the rules and yes, it's fair that they're looking at court. You will have to wait for the letter and see what they say. Then come back here for advice. Being angry is going to get you nowhere, I would say.

I apologise if I've misunderstood what you have said, but youth- and text-speak are not my first languages and it's a long time since I've struggled this much to grasp what is being asked. I've tried my hardest, I assure you.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Dear misssviolet

Would i be right in assuming english is not your first language?

From what i have read in your posts, you have used your oyster card on what to you, is a new route. Unbeknown to you, the card has not registered when you boarded the train. When you have got off the train you have been interviewed regarding the lack of funds on your oyster card even though you thought you had enough on your card to cover the fare.

The inspector has offered you the opportunity to pay £20 as your card was invalid but you have refused.

You were advised by the inspector that you would receive a letter regarding the same and if you still refused to pay or ignored the letter you would be taken to court.

As to whether this is fair or not, from the inspectors point of view, you appeared to have tried dodging the fare, whether intentionally or not.

For the inspector to offer you the opportunity to pay £20 and have done with it is fair under the circumstances as it is your sole responsibility to make sure your oyster card was valid for the journey you made.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

N i tap that what the agrue was abt forget the penalty i was just agrue abt tht how i tap in n he said i did not am not stupid i aint a bad person clean history my anger just vame what could i do it was my first time i have been stop or anything

misssviolet,

i think when the letter comes, if you have the opportunity to pay the fine then do so and put this down to experience.

There isnt a get out clause and as far as the inspector is concerned you have not paid your fare whether that was willingly or otherwise.

To all those posting on this thread with smart a*rse comments and pictures of drug misuse, grow up. The vast majority of people on here are here to try and help others, misssviolet is no different, she has a problem and she needs help with that problem.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Martin's right about the letter, and as previously advised you shouldn't ignore it, because it will only make things worse.

It usually takes a while for the letter to arrive, 4 to 6 weeks I think is an average timescale. When it arrives, let us know what it says and someone will help you to write back.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I am going to say straight away that I recognise that English isn't your first language, I have read through the whole thread carefully and have to say that I believe that this is really pretty straightforward.

1. You didn't have a valid ticket for the journey that you intended to make.

2. Your Oyster did not have sufficient credit to cover the fare for the journey that you did make.

3.. You claim not to have understood the 'beep' indication, but it is clear that you do understand the sound and light alerts, because your post goes on to explain what 'should' have happened.

4. It seems from your comments that you refused to accept the option of a penalty fare.

5. That left the inspector no alternative but to report you.

6. You seem to be under the illusion that there is always an option of paying to avoid prosecution, but this is not the case. In this instance, that option was given in allowing you to accept a penalty fare notice, but you failed or refused to accept it.

7. You are likely to receive a letter warning you of the likelihood of a prosecution.

8. When you get that letter, you might wish to offer a sincere apology and offer to pay all of the reasonable costs incurred by the rail operator plus the unpaid fare and ask the rail company to accept this in settlement instead of taking you to Court.

9. IF THE RAIL COMPANY AGREE, it will be a lot more expensive than the penalty fare, but a lot less costly than the probable outcome of prosecution.

10. The rail company do not have to agree to settle out of Court, but given where your case seems to be now, it is the best option that you have.

It is always the responsibility of the person travelling to make sure they have a valid ticket, or sufficient credit on an Oyster, which must be validated before deciding on a particular route.

Edited by Old-CodJA

Dear missviolet,

Please, please, please read the reply from Old-CoJa very slowly and carefully, as he has given you the definitive opinion on your situation. Of all the posters on this subforum, his is the most respected and considered position. I regret that you have received some less than edifying replies, but this one is the one to trust, even if you do not like what is said.

Practise writing a sincere letter of apology as he suggests in point 8 of post # 40, then await the letter from the Rail Company. It is better not to send in your letter of apology until you have the refernce number of the letter that they will send you as it would otherwise be difficult for them to match it to your case. Also in the very remote possibility that the Inspector's report has become lost, you do not want to awaken their interest.

If you wished to post the draft of your letter, without including identifying detail, I am sure that you will be helped if you have got something wrong.

Regards

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you