DWP Chasing 20 year old alledged Crisis Loan? - **RESOLVED **

tc5712
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2718 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Got this letter today from the Department of Work and Pensions telling me I owe them £300+.

I gave them a call, and apparently this relates to a social fund crisis loan they claim I took out in the early 90s??? (I have no recolection of this)!

For some reason the woman said she couldn't access the social fund section on her computer, all she could tell me was it was dated back to the 90s and said she is going to send me some details in writing next week. (After I refused her offer to call me back).

Aren't these type of loans statute barred? She made no mention of any court judgement?

Any help appreciated!

DWP 28082011.pdf

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sort of, but not in the same way as other debts The Social Fund has 6 years from the date it was due to be repaid to pursue debt via court. But they can still recover a debt by making deductions from future benefits (including state pension).

See what information comes back.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

As I understand it when a debt is statute barred it means that the lender cannot enforce the debt through the courts.

It does not stop a lender asking a borrower from repaying the debt, it just means that if the borrower says no, there is very little the lender can do about it.

With social security debts, even if a debt is statute barred, DWP/LAs also have the option of recovering the debts by direct deduction from social security benefits.

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

I've had another letter from them, claiming to explain it all.

I nearly died laughing when I saw the reason this alleged social fund loan was taken out for!

Bear in mind that at the time they claim, I was working, aged 22, single, and at least 16 stone!

In all seriousness, has anyone had anything similar happen to them?

Someone, somehow, has obviously applied and got this 'crisis loan' in my name.

Where do I go from here?

TIA

TC

DWP 050911.pdf

Tread carefully with this one, because they WILL reclaim the money.

You are going to have to get to the bottom of this if you are sure you did not take out this loan.

I received letters a few years back informing me of overpayments dating back to 1991. They didn't even give me time to appeal or investigate before they were taking 1/3rd of my care allowance.

I was told that because it is classed as public money there is no statute of limitations and even if it takes until you need to claim a pension they WILL get it back eventually.

If you were not getting benefits at the time, you need to get them to investigate as somebody may have been claiming benefits in your name.

:razz:ALWAYS REMEMBER, IF YOU GOT YOURSELF INTO YOUR SITUATION, YOU ARE MORE THAN CAPABLE OF GETTING YOURSELF OUT OF IT

WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE DCA's!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH UPLOADING YOUR IMAGES THROUGH PHOTOBUCKET CLICK HERE

IF I HAVE HELPED YOU OR MADE YOU SMILE, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CLICK MY STAR

You need to request to see the information that they have regarding the budgeting loan (not a crisis loan).

Unfortunately there are some people who apply for budgeting loans stating they need the money for a specific item

then use the money on alternative items ,

I am not for one minute stating that you lied or are currently lying by the way but this is a common scenario seen by the teams who recover previous social fund loans.

In an office where I worked previously I had a period of time on the reception desk in a DWP office and

at the time a big fair was paying it's annual visit,

the applications for crisis loans for lost purses and wallets always soared during the time the fair was there

to the point we had visions of leaving work and wading through a sea of wallets and purses.

This is just an attempt to show an example of how a few people can turn things so that even geniune claimants are not necesarily believed.

If you were not getting benefits at the time, you need to get them to investigate as somebody may have been claiming benefits in your name.

I think with crisis loans, (or is it budgeting loans?) you don't need to be on benefits to claim.

• 2 years later...

Hi guys,

I understand from looking at a few other threads that this type of debt is never statute barred but I need to contest the validity of it.

I've called them and they've told me it was for bunk beds in 1993?

Now in 1993 I was 18 stone and had no kids!

So, can you CCA the DWP?

Not sure where to go on this.

TIA guys.

the only way they can ever get the money is by deduction from any future benefits

no other method is allowed

however they must be REALLY scrapping the barrel for £250 from 1993!!

tell them you paid it back a few years later.

bet they've no records anyhow!

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi guys,

I understand from looking at a few other threads that this type of debt is never statute barred but I need to contest the validity of it.

I've called them and they've told me it was for bunk beds in 1993?

Now in 1993 I was 18 stone and had no kids!

So, can you CCA the DWP?

Not sure where to go on this.

TIA guys.

Is this http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?318826-DWP-Chasing-20-year-old-alledged-Crisis-Loan

the same loan you posted about on 2nd September 2011 ?

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

the only way they can ever get the money is by deduction from any future benefits

no other method is allowed

however they must be REALLY scrapping the barrel for £250 from 1993!!

tell them you paid it back a few years later.

bet they've no records anyhow!

So the bits that say deduct from earnings, courts, DCA etc are all just willy waving I presume?

It's becoming quite common for these kind of very old loans to be taken from current benefits. I agree that you should get them to prove it. A sar gives them 40 days and really you need to get them to stop deducting this sooner not later so appeal it ASAP.

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

To be honest I've no idea! It's from the same ppl but in 2011 it was over £300 now this one is £255??

This is defo nothing to do with me and they can't even keep the figures consistent!

To be honest I've no idea! It's from the same ppl but in 2011 it was over £300 now this one is £255??

This is defo nothing to do with me and they can't even keep the figures consistent!

I see ! Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

threads merged

the second letter is exactly the same amount/usage

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

is this debt managers DCA chasing you before?

all they've done is add phantom court costs

which they cannot do

that's the diff figures

dx

and they

is this debt managers DCA chasing you before?

all they've done is add phantom court costs

which they cannot do

that's the diff figures

dx

No chase since 2011 if this is the same thing but now the amount is lower?

those bogus court fees me thinks.

who was/has chased you?

dx

and they

Errm ... Isn't this dwp looking to take the money out of benefits or am I jumping to wrong conclusion? If so there won't be court fees afaik.

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.