social worker visit

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4654 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone not sure where to put this thread, i live in a 1 bedroom council flat,

i am looking to move to a 2 bedroom house/flat because i would like my carer to

move in with me permanent, i am disabled, im on high rate mobility and middle rate care,

i have a social worker coming to visit me on friday 19/8/11 to do an assessment to see

if i am eligible for a 2 bedroom house/flat. What i would like to know is what questions

will this social worker ask and what am i to expect. any advice would be appreciated. thank you

Are you in a 'relationship' with your carer? If you are, why would you want the extra expense of a 2 bed property?

If you are not, then I can understand why 2 beds are important, but I would be concerned that the DWP/Council might try to suggest that you are a couple and reduce your benefits accordingly.

If it is a genuine carer only relationship, make sure you take advice to protect yourself from the prying eyes of the DWP/Council.

You can't 'stop' the DWP from prying, unfortunately.

Does your carer currently receive Carers Allowance for caring for you? Are they named anywhere on your DLA claim?

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Does your carer currently receive Carers Allowance for caring for you? Are they named anywhere on your DLA claim?

thanks for that erika, my carer is not named on anything, the social worker is coming out to assess me to

see if i need a full time carer, i am in the process of looking for a 2 bedroom flat because i need a carer, the carer

is just a friend not a partner (should of had social worker visiting me today but phoned to rearrange for monday 22/08/11.).

Ah - has 'direct payments' been mentioned at all?

If not, ask about it during the visit.

Information here

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Ah - has 'direct payments' been mentioned at all?

If not, ask about it during the visit.

thanks for the reply erika, no direct payment as not been mentioned, its all new to me, i will

certaintly be asking about that, would i still be eligible for a 2 bedroom flat to cater for the carer.

had my visit from the social worker today, i asked about direct payment and she left me a pack to read,

she said i will get a visit from OT to see what care i will need, i was told i could get a carer to move in with

me now while i am waiting on a bigger flat, don't know how this will work though because i would of thought

this would mean i would be breaking the tenants agreement.