Blue Badge - lower rate mobility

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4276 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

What are the chances of getting a blue badge on lower rate mobility? My wife's on mid-rate care and low-rate mobility at the moment, although having delved deeper into the legislation it looks as though she may qualify for higher rate in both. Unfortunately her DLA doesn't expire until next year and I'm wondering whether to go ahead and make a fresh application now.

I had written a full explanation of her condition but damned computer timed out and I lost it. Typical.

The basic problem is that because of potential mobility problems caused by her non-epileptic seizures, as well as her potential risk to others (and indeed her risk from others), we need to be able to park our car wherever we can do so safely in case of emergency. We moved into the centre of a small town back in March and since then we've had two parking tickets for parking outside our own house. There are parking bays all along the street with restricted parking for visitors.

I am not aware of any residential parking permits for this street. There is a free car park some yards away but that's usually full during the day. There's another pay and display car park at the far end of the street which is usually empty. Quite honestly, the parking arrangements in this street (which has probably no more than 6 shops - mostly it's pubs, a couple of banks and takeaways) is cock-eyed.

We paid the last fine because we couldn't be bothered doing anything about it. They've no chance of getting this one paid.

So I suppose they have a choice. Give us a Blue Badge despite my wife being on low-rate mobility or find us an alternative accommodation (we are on the council list) as this house is therefore unsuitable.

I am going through with an application for a Blue Badge at the moment. I currently have DLA LRC/LRM - since 1996.

I have applied for a review but don't hold out much hope, not because I am exagerating the position, but because the rules have become that much tighter now. I know I should have made the review application in 2004 when my mobility became very difficult and the rules were easier! I can't get any sense out of my GP who refuses to confirm my needs to the DWP as he himself has not witnessed all of them, despite me telling him what they are.

Now I find out that the Council require all new and renewal applicants for Blue Badges to go through a 90min assessment & medical with an OT paid for by the Council. They will not accept a GP's report as they say they don't trust GP's to be independent!

So I really do wish you good luck in your claim, as I don't hold out much hope for myself for either!

• 3 months later...
My mother has a blue badge but cannot get DLA ,partly because the welfare rights person did not obtain gp support letter. is it different with every council?

There are rules which are the same everywhere and others will give out blue badges at their discretion.

Indeed, Nystagmite. I don't get DLA at present but have a blue badge through the discretionary part of the scheme. Came through very quickly as the Council just emailed my GP who emailed back my condition. To be honest, I couldn't manage without it! ...

I don't currenlty have one as it has recenlty run out, but when I did have one, I got it from Caerphilly Council in about ten minutes, with just a copy of my blind registration card. It seems different for everyone know it would appear.

TheKat1979 - Taking Control!

Taking on -

Barclaycard via HFO - daft application form sent

Barclays Current Account - at AQ stage - fingers crossed asked for Hardship

Egg - various issues! Are about to default me on a disputed debt!

Bryan Carter CCJ set aside - looks to have been set aside without a trip to court! WOO!

Yeah, it does seems to be different for everyone. I know people who get one due to being partially sighted and I've been told I can't have one. They put on the forms that you can get one if you receive mobility allowance, which I do. They neglected to say that it's only those on the higher rate.

I would definately complain then. Judging from the direct gov site re blue badges the rules are that you can be medically assessed if needs be. What does your GP think? Before applying, I discussed it with mine who was very supportive. Don't give up just yet! ... x

Rae

• 3 weeks later...

Applicants will automatically qualify for a Blue Badge if they can provide proof that they qualify under any of the following criteria: regsitered blind or in receipt of a war pensioner's mobility supplement, any applicant in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) at the higher rate mobility or have a severe upper limb impairment who are unable to turn by hand the steering wheel of a vehicle even if that wheel is fitted with a turning knob

Then there is the Discretionary criteria:

Applicants who have a permanent and substantial impairment which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking. They've taken the GP out of the equation but I think some Councils still contact the GP but it is at the Council's discretion. There is also a £10 charge now for the 3 years that people will have the badge.

Regarding going for a higher rate DLA. It is best to get someone professional to fill it in for you as you could end up losing it or going down a rate.

All we did when we needed a new one was give the GP the form after we filled in the details they required off us and then wait. We got our new one within 6 weeks.

My wife had previously had one 6 years previous from the same Council, she had moved to be with me 6 years ago and had ove from that Council just as easy. No examinations or lengthy interviews to get one.

• 2 months later...

Yes you can but it depends on the council and the interview

I have lower rate mobility and care (up for appeal in May) and I applied for a BB due to multiple problems stemming from a brain injury with operation in 2007

I was fully expecting to be turned down, but got a call 2 days after the interview/assessment and was told I was successful

It was like winning the lottery

Just be truthful when you go for the assessment is the best advice I can give

• 4 weeks later...
, any applicant in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) at the higher rate mobility or have a severe upper limb impairment who are unable to turn by hand the steering wheel of a vehicle even if that wheel is fitted with a turning knob

Then there is the Discretionary criteria:

I get LRM, I am able to walk fairly freely (bearing in mind I only go out on my good days), but have significant problems with my hands i.e. manual dexterity and so am unable to use pay machines. I have got a Blue Badge fairly recently for this reason, not mobility as such.

So there is some discretion in the system. Before I am criticised for this, I do use my badge sparingly, not when I have help and do bear in mind there are others with greater need than me for disabled spaces.

• 2 weeks later...
A Blue badge will normally only allow you to park there for a maximum of 3 hours and then you have to move.

INCORRECT

on street parking bays which everyone use are unlimited, providing it is not a residents permit zone

double yellows are 3 hours

disabled bays subject to time constraints on the individual signing

• 4 months later...

Unbelievable....i had my bb assesment today..i suffer with lupus and fybromyalgia...and in the last week ive been on antibiotics due to a severe gastro problem..which affected my alteady affected mobillity due to sore stomach and piles...the assesor walked me to the rm(10 yrds) she then sat me down asked some simple questions...looked at my medical evidence...then asked me to go for a walk...i made it about 20 yards out of the room before i needed to return...so that was around a total of 50 yards that she had seen me walk..allbeit slowly an on pain...when we returned to the room she said she couldnt complete my assesment as i couldnt walk far enough....is this a joke? I thought that was the point of having a blue badge....hrm on dla says if u can walk farther that u dont qualify(i currently get lrm and mrc) but am waiting a decision on my change of circumstances....so please help as dont seem to be able to get anything right...its all soo stressful...im loosing the will to fight...

A Blue badge will normally only allow you to park there for a maximum of 3 hours and then you have to move.

Not if you have a 'disabled' bay painted in outside your house.

Lillibelle

I only know what I know cos I know it,I only give advice,I'm not legally trained nor do I pretend to be.