** Android eBook: help! **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4430 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We've never had a Kindle. Or a smart-phone using Android. Or an Apple iPhone using Apple's OS. Our mobile phones are as smart as we are -- which is to say, pretty dumb.

We travel a lot though, and frequently lug our laptop around with us. But no more. We now have an Asus Transformer, the 10.2" clamshell tablet/keyboard which has proved absolutely perfick in every respect except one:

There seems to be an assumption by both Asus, who made it, and Google, who provide the Android OS (in this case, Honeycomb 3.1) that everyone who comes to this is already familiar with Android.

Doh. We're not. And because we're not, we still haven't figured out how to get ebooks onto the Asus.

We looked at Google Books, and read of Google's acquisition of thousands of 'free' titles, but then -- after an age -- we finally discovered the small print which says sorry, you can't have 'em if you live in the UK. (Or rather, you can choose from. . . eight. Not 8,000.)

Our Asus came with Amazon Kindle software pre-installed, and we imagine that this is, er, the eBook reader. Well, we think it is. But then someone told us, you can only read Amazon-supplied books on Amazon Kindle. You need a different eReader if you want unrestricted choice..

Yeah. Right. Some questions, then:

1) Is there an eBook reader that anyone knows of which will work with the 10.2" tablets running Honeycomb 3.1 and which isn't restricted to one book source?

2) Is there a way of finding out where free ebooks can be obtained in the UK? We're not that technologically savvy, so unsurprisingly haven't managed to burrow through Amazon UK to locate whatever archive they might have -- is there a link to get us there directly?

Some guidance from those who know far better than us would be appreciated! Thanks.

• 1 month later...

The software on my tablet which is a lesse Android version is Aldiko, it is a free book reader and can read PDF files.

Project Guttenberg has various formats to download and they are all free, http://www.projectguttenberg.org

Antique Pattern Library has loads of needlework books for free in PDF format, its best to google it because it changes urls

• 2 weeks later...

also, there is a free kindle app.

Check here or scan this QR code with your android device :)

redding-qrcode._V156428153_.png

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

• 6 months later...

i owuld recommend aldiko

its never had any issue sorting my libary of ebooks (currently around 3gb or so)

it allows you to change the text and background colour

it allows you to ajust brightness by simply sliding a finger down the left side of the page

it allows you to tap page edges to change page, or change by sliding, or it even uses the volume buttons to change page

has daytime and night time settings

seriously recommended

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek: