Orange: "You MUST use out email server"

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4677 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Pop is for collection, not sending.

Of course my bad, in that case use SMTP on port 2525.

To check to see if they block port 2525 do the following

Click on the Start menu button, usually located at the lower left corner of the screen. There is a tab called "Run". Click it and a new window will pop up. In the text field of this window you need to type cmd and then press the "Enter" key. Another window will open. It is the so called "MS-DOS prompt" or "command prompt". Just type the following command in the command prompt window and press "Enter": telnet my-domain-name.com 2525

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there, I'm a former IT professional so this is all standard practise for me. 2525 isn't open on my server but there are other avenues I can try (once we get online at our new house, my support people are superb). I'm making a fuss because the average home user won't have my expertise and will experience a brick wall at Orange. I'm hoping to help them with a solution...

Hi there, I'm a former IT professional so this is all standard practise for me. 2525 isn't open on my server but there are other avenues I can try (once we get online at our new house, my support people are superb). I'm making a fuss because the average home user won't have my expertise and will experience a brick wall at Orange. I'm hoping to help them with a solution...

what do you mean isn't open on your server? How do you think you will help them with a solution. They blocked port 25 in Jan of this year, this is done to stop relaying, this is a very common policy to stop spamming

You can also use port 465

Do they do it on a port level though or on a traffic inspection level? If the latter then you wont be able to circumvent using a different port, probably only Secure SMTP.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

The standard way of preventing relay is to set up the mail server to accept connections from internal addresses only - ie the DHCP subnet. The issue at hand has nothing to do with relay (although a lack of this setting is a surefire way of getting your server blacklisted!).

I doubt their firewalls are working at the application level, and it's a pain in the proverbial setting up an "allow" rulebase for the type of traffic you'll see from home users running countless different applications.

I'm a long time out of this game but I used to set up and manage Raptor & Checkpoint firewalls and MailSweeper for corporate clients. I know this stuff pretty well which is why it's so frustrating. Knowing my stuff means Orange can't keep fobbing me off and I won't let them. Hopefully others might find this thread useful in future.

The standard way of preventing relay is to set up the mail server to accept connections from internal addresses only - ie the DHCP subnet. The issue at hand has nothing to do with relay (although a lack of this setting is a surefire way of getting your server blacklisted!).

I doubt their firewalls are working at the application level, and it's a pain in the proverbial setting up an "allow" rulebase for the type of traffic you'll see from home users running countless different applications.

I'm a long time out of this game but I used to set up and manage Raptor & Checkpoint firewalls and MailSweeper for corporate clients. I know this stuff pretty well which is why it's so frustrating. Knowing my stuff means Orange can't keep fobbing me off and I won't let them. Hopefully others might find this thread useful in future.

All I would say is that pretty much any standard firewall these days will perform deep packet inspection, and identify the traffic based upon content and not simply port.

I manage our corporate firewalls (for an organisation a lot smaller and a lot less technologically advanced than a SP on the level of Orange), and all of our devices perform DPI.

Of course, if Orange choose to utilise this functionality is another matter - although the fact that they allow SMTP traffic to their own servers and it isnt a carte blanche block, would imply they do. Although of course this could simply be a destination IP and port based ACL on the core network.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Guest Orange Helpers

Hi stunned_monkey, I'm glad to hear you've got somewhere with Customer Services via email. I hope you'll be able to get further soon. MARTIN3030, I completely agree that customers do not have to go to social media channels if something goes wrong, however, this is one option that is available and one through which I may be able to help. I would encourage you to visit our Facebook page, where I'd hope you would agree that we are doing our best to help wherever we can. Currently Direct Messaging on Twitter or the "Send a private message" link on our Facebook page are the only ways our team are able to take account specific information. In this instance, I had hoped to do this in order to put the original poster in touch with one of our technical guys. This was simply an offer to help. We would like to help CAG members in the same way that we do members of several other forums. I can understand why you may be unhappy with us posting links to pages such as Facebook. I had hoped that by including this information as our homepage in our profile, rather than posting a link in the forum, this may be a suitable compromise. ^Darren_OrangeHelpers

Darren - dare I say that if you are still so rigid as to ONLY be able to assist via Twitter or Facebook, then your presence here is pretty useless?

I think that is the gripe.

You seem to be here merely as an advertisement for your other communication portals, whereas my understanding of the purpose of the official company helpers on this forum is to assist (where possible) with the SPECIFIC areas raised, not just a generic "please go to Facebook".

Dare I also say that you could learn a lot from Vodafone in this regard - who, for all their faults, appear to have genuinely made a commitment to resolving issues for users of this forum.

In any event, it is not really my place to say - ultimately this is site team territory. But I will add my voice to those others who would say that your contribution has been lacklustre at best.

• Haha 1

Guest Orange Helpers

Hi Mr Shed, I'd be happy to assist with specific queries and that's why I offered my help through the channels available to me. The contact methods previously mentioned are a direct way to contact myself and a small team of colleagues. I realise these methods might not be convenient for everyone, but they are an option which we hope may be helpful. Mark&Janice, I'd be happy to look into your issue myself if you can get in touch. Thanks! ^Darren_OrangeHelpers

Darren,

Whats wrong with using a private message via cag for 'personal details'?

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Hi stunned_monkey, I'm glad to hear you've got somewhere with Customer Services via email. I hope you'll be able to get further soon. MARTIN3030, I completely agree that customers do not have to go to social media channels if something goes wrong, however, this is one option that is available and one through which I may be able to help. I would encourage you to visit our Facebook page, where I'd hope you would agree that we are doing our best to help wherever we can. Currently Direct Messaging on Twitter or the "Send a private message" link on our Facebook page are the only ways our team are able to take account specific information. In this instance, I had hoped to do this in order to put the original poster in touch with one of our technical guys. This was simply an offer to help. We would like to help CAG members in the same way that we do members of several other forums. I can understand why you may be unhappy with us posting links to pages such as Facebook. I had hoped that by including this information as our homepage in our profile, rather than posting a link in the forum, this may be a suitable compromise. ^Darren_OrangeHelpers

Orange helpers why when I contacted you via your facebook page and you were online, did you not have the courtesy to reply?

I was only asking you to confirm which was the true head office of everything everwhrere, due to being confused as to the roll played in the darlington office.

I was then left to research the name on an employee who said they worked for orange and spoke to find out the address myself

You didnt bother replying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You were online and darren is one of the names of the facebook orange helpers too.

Or are you not allowed to r eply to me?

Would you care to answer?

AS this office answers to everything everywhere the parent company I was confused as to how they could say they can only deal with orange and not at least liase with ceo of t mobile when it is the ceo office of orange who have so offended me!!!!!!! As the parent company is one and the same and well is another name for orang uk, which own t mobile, then I can be fair and say if they cannot liase with a company they own at ceo level, then what true authority do they have as I then find out the true head office is down south.

I suspect orange helpers is only a front to say oh we are sorry lets show we are trying to help, when in fact you can only do basic basic tasks and pick ancd choose who you even bother to reply too.........:(

Edited by watchinginvestigation2011

In case the need arises and you feel that you are being ignored or having the mickey taken out of you by being told to go to Facebook, here is the email contact for the big man:

olaf.swantee@orange.co.uk

Emailed him too conniff xx No reply either :(

Seems everything everywhere goes deaf a lot xx

we're kinda hijacking stunned_monkey's thread here WI :p

Any updates from the OP with progress from Orange?

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Guest Orange Helpers

Hi IdaInFife, we have processes in place which ensure we can communicate securely through Facebook and Twitter, however, we currently do not support private messaging through third party forums. Where customer or account specific information is not required, we can post publicly on a forum. When further information is needed, we can offer to help privately through Facebook or Twitter and we respond directly to all the messages we receive.

If Vodafone can come on here with over 1,000 posts and be so proacive then I can't see why Orange can't, I suggest you should 'support' any kind of communication I'm cancelling mine and my wife's contracts with Orange and I will be using Vodafone from now on. I look forward to a long and fruitless relationship with Orange...

• Haha 1

Orange are users, they take all from the customer and give back nowt when true help is needed.

They like to add the odd post how sorry they are or how they will look into it, but often weeks and weeks later a situation is not resolved and it is not orange doing the contacting, oh no, it is the customer repeatedly chasing or ornage might forget they exist.

Hey I bet orange contact just fine when they are after money!!!!!!!!!!

I say to anyone, you have been warned, avoid orangeuk and their new everything everywhere which owns t mobile as well.

Do you realise that orange uk own t mobile yet are incapable on a serious issue to even pick up the phone and liase from one ceo complaint office to the other, they say NO, but the treatment is the reason you need them to liase, and the issue was not caused by yourself.

But they say no!!!!!!!!!

CHOOSE A CUSTOMER FRIENDLY PROVIDER and that is not everything everywhere!!!!!

OP sorrry once more but you are probably aware of their lackluster attitude of you having ot do all the chasing by now xx

I don't see why you're steering the OP away from CAG and onto Facebook / twitter. As I posted 4 days ago:-

I see nothing here that actually needs you to identify the poster. He's stating his problem quite clearly, and it is Orange's system that is blocking him. If there is a way to "unblock" TCP port 25, post it here.

I appreciate that you have to protect yourselves against people attacking your network with a high volume of data (known as a DDoS attack) and protect yourselves from people sending bulk spam which could have a similar crippling effect on your network, but you also need to show you are able to support small businesses using your network. (which I think is the main reason for the original poster making this thread, as he is obviously computer savi and able to continue his business)

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Okay, so Broadband is finally up and running at the new house, I feel like my 3rd arm has been reconnected! I can finally try and access Orange Helpers' Facebook page.... and guess what? No link on your profile page and no way of messaging you that I can find. I've been an Orange customer for years (mobile) but your Broadband service is really starting to hack me off.