threat of Warrents being inforced For council tax we didn't know about

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4680 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

My wife got a letter today from Scott & Co for our old house that we sold and left in 2008

chasing council tax for over a thousand pounds here is what it says

outstanding arrears £***** Due to local council

Account charge year payment recived balance

******* pre 2009 .00 £*****

You are hereby notified that the account shown above have been passed to this office for enforcement and Collection unless payment in full is received at this office within 7 days the warrant(s) will be enforced against you without further notice.If you are in financial difficulty pleas contact us immediately to discuss the position and arrange settlement.

Now we have never received any form of letter about this before we sold and moved out of the house in 2008 (plus I know the person staying there gets his deducted straight of his income support and have done since the moved in)

what do they meen by pre 2009 how far back could that be as we no longer have any proof that wee paid it.

How can they enforce any warrants that we were never received court notice about so was never able to defend. how do we contact them our the council.

Hi there,

Pre 2009 means exactly what it says- the council tax debt is before 2009- you said you sold the house in 2008, so stands to reason that the debt outstding is pre/before 2009.

Your council has discovered unpaid council tax for you at a former property- they are not legally obligated to send out a reminder- instead they went to the local sheriff court and had a summary warrant raised against your wife and then passed to the sheriff officers (scott and co) None payment of council tax is a none defendable offense so you would not be entitled to appear in court- Scott and Co will now activley pursue for the debt- including sending a Sheriff officer to your property- or arresting your bank or wages- these things do happen- however they will be quite happy to set a payplan with you if your willing- disputes must go direct to your council but keep in touch with scott and co at all times

Thread moved to Scotland Forum.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

You are entitiled for the exact dates.

Write to the coucil with the reference number requesting a breakdown for the exact dates and a letter to scott and co asking for a hold on your account until you receive a response from the council .

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Thanks for the reply's will send a letter to the council a couple of things I don't know if there relevant the letter was in my wife's maiden name we have been married since 1998 the house we sold was our old council house that we bought in 2003 all outstanding council tax & rent had to be paid be for we could buy

the house and we never missed any council tax payments when we had it.

So will wait and see what they send do I get my wife to phone Scott & Co or should she send them a recorded letter.(ignore this bit just noticed you said send letter to Scott & Co must have missed that when I read your reply) will get letters sent out.

• 2 weeks later...

Letter were sent had to wait as it was a holiday on the Monday still haven't heard anything yet wife's panicking told her to just be patient.

Also just remembered something the house they must be talking about is the same council house that we swapped and then ended up buying later

now when we and the other couple applied to swap council houses we had to make sure there was no rent or council tax arrears and the same when we bought the house in 2004 which well before that time they had been informed of her change of surname(we got married in 97) so why a council tax bill in her maiden name.an there was no council tax arrears when we sold the house in 2008(had to move due to having a couple of stokes needed a house with no stairs)