Banks forcing the Closing of Accounts

sunseeker
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6666 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

As there is a lot of questioning around banks closing accounts once action against them is taken/completed, thought I'd ask the following :!:

If I take action against charges on my current account, win and the bank gets a bit narked, can they close the current account and the loan account I also have with them. Would rather continue with the monthly payments than give up all refunded costs to pay off the loan account :(

Trying to think ahead as O/D and loan will probably equate to the refunded charges.

Cheers all,

Al.

Smile: £2,522 full payment received,

Citi Cards: £693.71 balance written off. Full value of Court claim,

West Brom Building Society: DPA request sent 15.05.06,

Capital 1: £220 claimed LBA sent 15.05.06.

Barclaycard: DPA request sent 16.05.06

Yes, it's a possibility, and they do sometimes threaten that as a bullying tactic. Under certain circumstances there is legislation you can use to make it harder for them, especially if you have made an official complaint about the charging structure and made a reasonable offer instead of the one you deem unreasonable, but they do at the end of the day have the right to decide not to do business with you.

If you're particularly worried about this, set up an account elsewhere in advance, so that if they suddenly decide to get heavy you've got a contingency plan in place to handle it.

But surely they couldn't just close the loan account if you have agreed to pay a certain amount over x amount of years? If they did, perhaps you could charge them a penalty fee - I mean administration charge :-)

I don't see that they could close the loan account.

Furthermore, I believe that the are required by the banking code to arrive at a mutually satisfactory scheme for repaying the o/d - maybe someone can jog my brain with the relevant para. ni.

• 13 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/05/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support their.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

Smile: £2,522 full payment received,

Citi Cards: £693.71 balance written off. Full value of Court claim,

West Brom Building Society: DPA request sent 15.05.06,

Capital 1: £220 claimed LBA sent 15.05.06.

Barclaycard: DPA request sent 16.05.06

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6666 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks