Software return

woolfie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6297 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Any 'goods' however sold are subject to the Sale of Goods Act & MUST be 'fit for purpose' There is no opt out such as 'reduced' 'sold as seen' 'shop soiled' 'display model' etc.

If the information you require is not available at 'point of display' then you have a claim

If your 1st sight of the packing box is when your en route to the checkout then it won't matter what is written on it or indeed what is inside it won't negate your rights under the act. If you have been told it will do something which it won't again you have a claim.

Can I just say, with reference to the original posting, which talked about software to copy DVDs, a little point about that.

Region 0 DVDs - that is, ones authored by home PCs, have no Content Scrambling System (CSS) and can be copied by virtually anything; Nero Burning Rom is a classic example.

Now, professionally authored DVDs, which are region limited, protect their content with CSS to prevent Piracy. Nero will tell you with an onscreen dialogue box "Sorry this is copyright protected - I ain't copying it" that it's found CSS and will terminate at that point. Other, less well written software, may simply report a sense error and stop, or worse crash altogether.

This doesn't mean the software is faulty.

Copying DVDs is not illegal. Decrypting CSS however IS illegal, and since you would have to decrypt the CSS on a professionally authored DVD in order to be able to copy it, this is where the offense lies when one copies a professionally produced DVD. For this reason, some of the cheaper copying software which doesn't ship with CSS won't understand CSS protected disks, and may crash. Again, not because of a fault, because the CSS is doing what it is intended to do - stopping the copying of intellect-copyrighted material.

If the software you bought is purely for copying DVDs you have authored (i.e. it doesn't come with CSS decryption software) and you try to use it on a CD someone else has authored which DOES use CSS, then the software is fit for purpose specifically if it WON'T copy the disk. You can't return it as unfit for this reason. You would most likely have to justify what disk you couldn't copy before you could satisfy the shop that the product was faulty.

As a side note it should be observed that an author of a De-CSS program was unsuccessfully prosecuted, but use of his program to circumvent legitimate copyright protection remains a criminal offense, even if combined with a copying program unrelated to it.

• Confused 1

Also, just on one small point, faulty could also include manufacturing issues. Sometimes the data print on the disc can become warped, which causes reading issues. Seen that a few times from where I used to work. Just a thought :)

Bank: NatWest

Last Letter Received: Agreement to repay £388.69

Please remember to read the FAQs if you are new or are looking for quick-fix advice!

• 3 months later...
Exactly, being that the software doesn't work on your machine doesn't mean it wont work in a stores machine - therefore you have not proved the item is faulty.

Hence why stores do not take open box software as a return, and why you obtain your refund from the manufacturer directly. READ YOUR EULA!

The item is faulty if it doesn't work as advertised on the box. If it claims to work on a certain operating system with certain specs, then it must work on all such machines.

The EULA is irrelevant since it is not incorporated into the sales contract before purchase, and even if it were it could not exclude rights under the Sale of Goods Act.

Also an EULA cannot form a second contract on installation of the software (as the maufacturers claim it does) because their consideration is past, i.e. you have already paid to use it, so clicking 'I accept' is a "bare promise".

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

Advice & opinions given by Woolfie are my own, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6297 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks