Carer's Allowance

Janie1962
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4720 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi - wonder if anyone can advise, please.

Last September my OH had an accident at work which has left him disabled. He gets IIDB, DLA Higher Rate Mobilty & Middle Rate Care and is going through the process of claiming ESA, as he is unable to return to his job.

I don't work (a kept woman!:roll:) which was financially OK when he was working. Now it's not so easy. I cannot go out to work now as I have to look after my OH for the majority of the day (and during the night) so would I be eligible for Carer's Allowance?

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks.

Have a read of these links Janie and decide which one you come under. If not carers, then your OH can claim attendance allowance.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Caringforsomeone/DG_10018705

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Disabledpeople/DG_10018710

Come back with whatever you decide on please so others may benefit [no pun intended] from your experience.

Very many thanks for that - much appreciated!

I assume that because he's under 65, Attendance Allowance is out. Would the fact that I didn't work affect applying for CA? It just never occurred to me that I could claim it as I was already at home, and we're a couple ("in sickness & in health" etc!).

I guess I've nothing to lose by applying - just hate filling in those bl**dy forms if it's not necessary!

I'll keep the thread updated.

Thanks again.

Give the Carer's Allowance unit a ring. 0845 6084321

In a similar situation, but caring for a parent, and they are really helpful.

You might also be able to claim income support as a carer seeing as you're not working, so make sure to look into that aswell.

edit: also, ask them to backdate any benefit you claim to the date your OH started to receive DLA.

Right - have filled in the online aplication. It was pretty straightforward, with a couple of bits to print-off, sign and send. I suppose there'll be delay because of the Bank Holiday and they'll need to reconcile the application with the sent signatures. I'll let you know what happens!

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Don't forget to apply for income support too.

You might wanna call the benefit enquiry line and see if you are entitled to anything else on top.

I only recently had my first experience with claiming benefits and they were genuinely helpful.

You should be able to claim carers allowance Janie. My hubby is in the same situation where he has to claim ESA and gets DLA . If you claim ESA you cannot claim income support as well.I think thats a different criteria to claim that.

You can either make an application for Income Support (on the grounds of of your claim to Carer Allowance) or your partner may already have claimed for the Income Related ESA which wil cancel out any IS claim. If he has applied for the Income Related ESA then don't forget to let them know if you are then awarded ESA as you will be entitled to an additional Premium. Have you also made sure that you are claiming for any Housing Costs, (Counciol Tax, and then Housing Benefit or mortgage relief).

Flumps is correct you can claim Carers because yoh is getting mid/high rate care in DLA at present about 220£ 4 weekly. You can also work up to £100 per week. I dont know about ESA thats another kettle of fish and maybe someone who works for the DWP can update us in that one. Flumps is talking about the underlying entitlement to benefit in HB/CT which could be additional monies. Actually Flumps I thought underlying entitlement was mainly for HB/CT but put me right if there is u/e with DWP benefits as well?

Yes, there is underlying entitlement for DWP benefits. For example, if someone is getting the State Pension at more than the Carers Allowance rate, they won't be paid carers allowance but will have an 'underlying entitlement' to it.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

• 1 month later...

Just to update - have been awarded Carer's Allowance, and received my backdated payment today! Very many thanks to everyone who replied - it's really good of you to use your own personal time to help, and it's much appreciated.

Thank you again.

Best wishes

Janie