TESCO (Acer) laptop faulty after only 5 Months Help!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4712 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Bought my wife an Acer laptop from TESCO'S for her xmas just over 5 months ago. Very pleased within that time.

Last week she opened the screen up and turned on. On doing this, the screen was very dark could not see any of the icons.

Phoned Tesco's and their Electrical helpline directed us to Acer, they then arranged for UPS to deliver the parcel to themselves to what we thought would be to repair it as it was still under warranty.

All seemed okay until Acer called two days later/confirmed with an e-mail that they said the screen was damaged by ourselves and was thus not covered under the manufacturers warranty!! I was disgusted to say the least. They said although there is no visible damage the laptop could have been dropped or to much pressure has been placed on the screen.

They then said I could have it fixed for £120.00 !! I rang back TESCO's and they then said I had to deal with ACER. What I want to know as I purchased the laptop from Tesco should I just take it back to them?

It gets better!!!

Having decided that I was not prepared to pay for the repair having been accused of damaging the laptop I asked Acer to just send the Acer back to me. Yep you know whats coming they want £55.00 to package and return it back to me. Shocking!!! Asked for the manager and he told me the same thing. I told him it was my property and I wanted it back ASAP. He then told me that I would have to call back today to see if thats possible...

So at the moment I have no laptop..and Not really sure to go with this any help would be much appreciated...

Many Thanks Graham....

Looks like you would need to get independant inspection and if they found no damage caused by you as you say, then the cost of that inspection and any out of pocket expenses could be claimed from tesco.

You could contact tesco record the call and ask are they happy to be liable for any such costs and see if they say yes or maybe want to re look over the laptop xx

Troubiing, others will post more in the know, but I thought if no physical signs of damage as you item was less than six months old it was up to manufacture to prove not manufacture fault not you, so you could point this out also and record call.

If you have to do as I first stated then make sure you keep receipts because you could send letter before action if it comes to it:)

Edited by watchinginvestigation2011
spelling

The fault you have described (screen very dark) sounds like the backlight has failed. From experience this generally isn't a sign of misuse. If the LCD layer had cracked or bled, that would signify an impact or excessive pressure but a backlight failure could be nothing more than a loose wire. Given that you are still within 6 months of purchase, the burden of proof lies upon Tesco, however if the manufacturer has sided with them, that muddies the waters a bit.

Having worked in retail and dealt with electrical returns, the manufacturers are usually very quick to blame the customer for any fault.

Best course of action is to send the laptop off for an independent second opinion and get them to draft a written and signed report. You will have to pay for this but keep all receipts, you should be able to claim it back later if the report goes in your favour.

Keep us posted.

Just had the same happen to myself, only bought our lap top from another leading supermarket ( Samsung make though ), this broke after only 10 days, i didnt bother with all the phone calling etc, i just took it back to the store in question, and asked for a full refund, there only asked what was wrong with it, and i replied it didnt work, it took less than 5 mins for the refund to be made, which will credit my account in 3 to 5 days, wheres i will go to another outlet for a lap top, far as i was aware and still is, the store of purchase is the 1st point of contact, when something breaks, not the product maker/brand, least i havnt been fobbed off like yourself, but do stand your ground with these companys, after all its your hard earned cash that you have spent in the shops and you should receive the customer satifaction throughout the warranty and beyond. I didnt give them time to give me excuses, i told them the reason for return and that was excepted.

!2 years Tesco distribution supervisor

7 years Sainsburys Transport Manager

4 Years housing officer ( Lettings )

Partner... 23 Years social services depts

All advice is given through own opition, also by seeking/searching info on behalf of poster, and own personnel dealings.

• 2 months later...

hi i had a very similar experiance , after about 7 months the headset jack on my acer laptop stopped working

john lewis where i bought the laptop said to send it back to acer by ups wich i did

2 days later i got a quote from acer saying it would cost me £220 to fix and that it wasnt part of the warranty because it was broken!

after much arguing i went back to john lewis and told them what had happend , they said ait was not right and paid for the repair

acer are arip off company they seem to do this all the time