No valid ticket on Newcastle Metro.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4819 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So yesterday i took the metro in Newcastle to get to the mainline station to get a connection to edinburgh. However i only had notes in wallet and although with a full intention of buying a ticket i couldnt as the metro only has coin operated ticket machines. i was also travelling at 9.15 in the morning thereofre no shops were open where i could have got change from. subsequently while travelling ont he metro i was asked to show a ticket, obviously i couldnt and was given a £20 penalty notice. this also caused me to miss my connection and fork out £40 for new tickets even though we had set off with loads of time to spare and i got the feeling the attendant was being particularly slow on purpose causing me to miss my train.

what are my chance of appeal against the fine and getting any sort of compensation?

many thanks

I very much doubt you'll receive any form of compensation. By all means appeal, but unfortuately the onus is always on the traveller to purchase a ticket before boarding where facilities exist, so an appeal will more than likely fall on deaf ears too. Having nothing to lose in appealing, so give it a go!

I'd agree with the previous two comments I'm afraid. Realistically, the argument that you couldn't change a banknote in Newcastle before 09.15 a.m isn't really going to win a lot of sympathy so far as I can see.

You didn't say where abouts you boarded the Metro, but the larger stations have travel 'shops' where you could have obtained tickets and whilst I know they are getting old now though from memory, I believe that quite a few of the stations also have change machines.