Default notice received after account paid and closed

Emm81
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4834 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone. I'm just looking for a bit of advise really.

Santander have treated me very unfairly.

I opened an account with them via the Internet last May, with the intention of using it for my work expenses. I never ended up using it. Never paid a pound into it.

Now, this is my own fault, but as the account was dormant I never opened any mail from them. I just assumed it to be junk.

Then I receive a call from them to say this account was £350 overdrawn. Turns out they'd charged me £5 underfunding fee, which then took me overdrawn for which they then charged me £50. This had been going on for a few months - hence the £350 overdrawn balance.

I was seriously miffed. Told them I thought it was unfair and, after two phone calls of getting nowhere at all, got through to one lady who managed to reduce the balance down to £150. I paid it and closed the account on 18th Jan.

10 days later I receive a notice of default through the post. It wasn't postmarked but the date on the letter was 14/01/11 - apparently four days before I paid and closed the account.

Strange how I didn't receive it until the 28th Jan.

I've written to them asking them to remove the data from my credit file as it is totally unfair and brought about solely by their unfair charges. They wrote back telling me that they wouldn't amend the data and I should take it up with the Financial Ombudsmen.

Can anyone advise me what to do? I'm so upset that I now have six years of bad credit on my file through something I didn't directly cause. Not to mention the fact that I paid Santander a total of £150 for absolutely nothing.

Like I said, the account was totally unused!

Grrrr! They're an awful, awful bank and I can't believe how they can justify this.

Anyone help?

Hi,

You have to exhaust the banks complaints procedure before going to the FOS.

What you can do is complain to the Information Commissioner. You may not get far as you didn't open the letters but a default on your credit file has to be an accurate reflection of your financial standing

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

So, I should just write to the bank again, rephrasing myself?

I did wonder about the default itself though; is it issued on the date of the letter - or is it only issued once the 14 days they give you to pay have elapsed? I paid the balance and closed the account 10 days before I received the notice through the post (although four days after the actual date on the notice.)

Nothing's yet showing on my file, as it hasn't been updated yet.

You should be OK having just re-read your first post. The default notice gives a date for you to rectify the default. If you don't rectify before the date then they can default you. As you have cleared the 'balance' it should be as if the default didn't exist BUT check your credit file regularly. Santander are not known for their customer service

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE