Disabled parent in care with debt to MBNA

Jaxo_uk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4844 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all, I am looking some advice on behalf of my mother. My mum is severly disabled with multiple sclerosis and is now at the stage where she need full time care 24/7. My Father was her main carer at home until recently when he passed away. He was also her appointee and took control of her finances, welfare and state pensions due to her disabilities.

Since my father`s death I have applied to become the appointee and am still awaiting on this being approved.

A few things have now changed, since my fathers death my mum is now in full time care at a care home and her benefits have changed because of this. She had a couple of credit cards, the main one being with MBNA (£7500) and another with with halifax (£2500), I Know my dad had been paying these off for her but he had been paying the interest each month and some months a little more if he had it.

Now that my mum is in care her benefits have changed and I have been working things out as to what she get, the cost of care and living and the credit cards can no longer can no longer be afforded. I have tried ringing the MBNA and Hal to come to some sort of arrangement if they could freeze the interest and we could pay them back a smaller amount each month until they are cleared, but as I am not yet my mums appointee they will not talk about the account with myself.

I am just wondering what my options are, Its not that we do not want to pay this, Its the fact that what is left over from my mums state benefits and dla etc is not enough to cover the interest, let alone begin to start repaying the 10,000 which is owed.

Any advice on this matter is greatly appreciated.

One last thing, By becoming my mothers nominated appointee will these debts be passed onto myself? I know I have an obligation to look after my mums welfare with her money etc but could these companies start persuing myself for this as I am a bit worried that by becoming appointee I might be inheriting £10,000 worth of debt. I got into debt myself when I was younger and dont want the same to happen again.

Thanks to anyone that can help in advance. Thank you

Hi jaxo

Your last question: the debts don't become yours but obviously you will have to deal with them on your mum's behalf.

All you can do is advise them of the situation and confirm that when the PoA is granted; then you check the validity of the alleged debts and current amounts etc etc, then offer what mum can reasonably afford.

Others will correct me if I'm wrong.

love

vic

Thanks Victoria. I will just wait until I get PoA and make them an offer. I dont think There is a lot they can do about it tbh, We are willing to repay the debt, but unless they can put a freeze on the interest we could be paying it forever. Hopefully when the PoA comes through they will be understanding about the situation and will set up a repayment agreement.

I will post back with updates as to how it goes