Helping homeless Daughter and benefits query

angel49
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4867 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi My Daughter has made a homeless application whilst waiting to be evicted tomoro. She has to present herself at the neighbourhood office. She will likely be offered hostel or b&b. She has 2 young children and is on anti depressants and is unable to face the idea of a hostel. I am in receipt of DLA and pension credits. Would my benefits be affected if I offered to have them in my home for a few weeks whilst waiting for council accommodation? Thanks for any advice

Hello there. Sorry to hear about your daughter and her problems, I hope some of the benefits gurus will be able to help you. Another useful source of information in case you need it is Shelter. They've had good reviews here.

My best to you both, HB x

Illegitimi non carborundum

Won't affect your DLA or Pension Credit (unless you are making an income from rent), may affect housing benefit/council tax benefit, but depends. I need to ask a few questions before I can give an answer.

Your DLA - is this care component or mobility component?

Your daughter - how old is she, and what (if any) benefits does she receive?

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

My DLA is care and mobility.

My Daughter is 40. Both children are on child protection register due to an abusive previous relationship with their father. My daughter gets income support and child benefit.

As you receive the care component of DLA, no non dependent deduction would be applied to your HB or CTBs so your benefits should be fine.

However, if you allow them to move in with you, this may well hinder her application for social housing. It could affect their priority status if they are not in what the council terms as "emergency accomodation". Also, council housing in some areas have waiting lists of months to years, rather than weeks. I can't advise you sufficiently on that though, so I would suggest you post in the lettings subforum for information about that.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Also to consider - do you live on your own and get a severe disability premium with your pension credit - you would only get this if no one lives with you, no one claims carers allowance for you, and you get either middle or higher rate care component.

Thank you all for your replies and advice. I'm not really sure what my pension credit is made up with. I have my2 eldest Grandchildren living with me for the last 7 years. I used to get Carer Allowance but the eldest Grandson earns a fair wage which disqualified the claim. He still helps when I'm unwell though (epilepsy and heart probs)

I have made it very clear to my Daughter I can only allow her to stay for a maximum of 6 weeks. She will use my bedroom for her and the 2 youngest.Friends have gathered round to help with storing her furniture. The eviction happening this morning. Only that its very traumatic for her whilst on medication for her depression, I would have ensured she went into emergency accommodation.

Many thanks for the kind replies.

If you already have adult non dependants living with you then you won't be receiving a severe disability premium with your pension credit, so your daughter moving in won't affect it. If at any time your family moves out and you live alone, you should contact the pension service as you would be entitled to a bit of extra money. (until the current govn get rid of premiums!)