Samsung Recovery Tool

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4572 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I have a Samsung R519 laptop with Windows 7 pre installed. My antivirus (Avast Antivirus) stopped some malware getting into my system and requsted me to do a boot scan. I clicked OK and my laptop restarted. On boot up, it gave me 2 options 1. Startup repair (recommended), 2. Start Windows normally. I went for the first option. Windows loaded files and the CPU light was on for about a minute. Then a background screen comes on (just like the sign in page), but there is nothing alse at all on the screen. The CPU light has gone out, and the laptop is doing nothing.

I tried to start in safe mode, but after loading files it just restarts again and takes me back to the 2 options I have stated earlier. I tried to start Windows normally, but the same thing happens. It just restarts and wants me to either do a startup repair or start Windows normally. I then tried (on boot up) pressing F4, which is the built in Samsung Recovery Tool. The screen lights up saying Samsung recovery, please wait...... The CPU light is on again for about a minute, then goes out. I have left it for over half an hour and nothing is happening. I can move my cursor around, but that's it.

I can't do a fresh install of Windows 7, as I don't have a disc (Win 7 was preinstalled).

Any ideas?:violin:

PS. I am using my sons laptop to type this.:-D

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just tried 'Stop Windows from automatically restarting on system failure', and got this message on a blue screen:-

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware (there is none) or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows Updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing (I don't know how to). If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select safe mode (does not work).

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x867B0E20, 0x0000185, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Have you searched online for a downloadable windows 7 recovery disc?

Many sites that provide such downloads are dubious to say the least, but if you have access to another laptop/pc then you can download and scan for viruses/malware etc before trying on you samsung lappy.

I have tried burning things to a disc on several occasions. Never got it to work though. I done all the right things (formatting and the likes).

Have you searched online for a downloadable windows 7 recovery disc?

Many sites that provide such downloads are dubious to say the least, but if you have access to another laptop/pc then you can download and scan for viruses/malware etc before trying on you samsung lappy.

The Start Up repair that the OP has booted into is the same as the Windows 7 Recovery disc (the recover disc intself is exactly the same as a full Windows disc but with the main set up stuff removed).

I'd recommend to the original poster to choose Start Windows Normally then keep pressing F8, you should see a screen of various option, you should try Last Known Good Config and if that doesnt work then try Safe Mode or VGA Mode.

If they dont work then try the Start Up repair again, this should show a screen and try to automatically repair errors, sometimes it gets stuck on this bit and you can cancel it to get a list of options, from this you can get to a Command Prompt and it is possible thenm to try various options such as chkdsk (to check the hard drive) or ipconfig/ fixmbr or fixboot to fix the master boot record of the hard drive.

If the start up repair is deff not working than it is possible to get hold of a Windows 7 either full or just repair disc, you can download thsse online, let me know if you cant find them.

If you are still having problems then perhaps you could try some sort of Windows PE discs to at least get started with a command prompt to try and fix problems or perhaps a 3rd party program just as Acronis Disc Director to try and fix hard drive problems or I like Seatools for windows, although this is mostly for Seagate hard drives.

If still not luck, it may be that a component is seriously damaged, on desktop PC's everything is easy to fix/replace, in laptops it is more of a pain !

Andy

Tried to start in safe mode with command prompt. Seems to work for a minute and then restarts again with the same 2 options. 1. Startup repair. 2. Start Windows normally. Startup repair just makes it reboot again. I would like to get it to start with command prompt, but I can't. I have always noticed on boot up taht it starts from CD (even though there is no CD there), it always started normally though. Is it F2 or F12 I need to press to make sure it is booting up from the right place?

Edited by SOD'EM

I am messing about with it and I noticed (when I press F12 on boot up), it says some gobbledygook, but in there it says 'Media Test Failure'.

Tried to start in safe mode with command prompt. Seems to work for a minute and then restarts again with the same 2 options. 1. Startup repair. 2. Start Windows normally. Startup repair just makes it reboot again. I would like to get it to start with command prompt' date=' but I can't. I have always noticed on boot up taht it starts from CD (even though there is no CD there), it always started normally though. Is it F2 or F12 I need to press to make sure it is booting up from the right place?[/quote']

This depends on the BIOS, it changes from company to company.

Try getting a copy of the recover disc, go here http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/

This has links to get them (a torrent file so you will need a p2p client).

Youll need to burn the image onto a disc (I'd recommend ImgBurn) then try booting onto that (it sounds like your BIOS is already set up to boot from CD). It is worth trying to get a Windows PE disc too and try that. (http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/)

Other than that it sounds as if there is a serious hardware p[roblem, Id suggest checking the RAM (sometimes its accesible under a flap), try wiggling it or replacing it if possible.

Another common problem is the fan gets stuck or full of fluff, this means the PC starts but instantly the CPU gets too hot and shuts down, can you get into the BIOS ? (this may be F2 or F12 or DEL), some BIOS's let you check the CPU temp.

Andy

I have downloaded Win 7 repair disc and image burn. The Win 7 I downloaded is a zip file, and I downloaded it to my desktop. Do I need to unpack it before I burn it? Also, the options I get from ImgBurn are: write image file to disc, write file/folder to disc. Which one do I do?

Did you download it from the link I gave you ?. They are def .iso files, I just checked, if it is a zip file and unzip it and check there is an iso file inside.

You need the single iso and not just a collection of files and folders, coz the files and folders wont be bootable. (Unless you are IT literate enough to make bootable CD's).

To your second part, yes in Imgburn choose image file to disc (you need a iso for this).

If somehow you have a collection of files n folders instead you can try write file/folder to disc but i have a feeling it wont boot, windows will start, look at the cd, cant boot from it and just ignore it.

Andy

I use Winrar to unpack files, it will do Zip files and ISO. I did use the link you gave me also. I had an option to extract the files to my CD drive, so have done that. It looks like they have burned on successfully. Just going to try it in my other lappy now.

Have just started with the disc installed and it said 'Boot From AHCI CD-ROM' and the drive was making a couple of noises. Then it just went back to the usual. Startup repair or start normally. The laptop has always said 'Boot From AHCI CD-ROM' since I bought it and there has never been a problem (even though there has never been a CD in the drive). I have tried the BIOS menu, but there is no other way to get the system to boot up.:mad2:

DONT use winrar. Just use Imgburn to burn it straight to a CD, using image to disc command.

Start Imagburn first then choose image to disc, browse for the iso and burn it.

It sounds like you have done what i mentioned above, i.,e burnt files on disc BUT its not bootable so windows ignores it.

Boot from AHCI Cd sounds correct.

Andy

Don't quote me on this however, I think the R519 has a hidden partition on the hard drive which contains everything, including drivers, to restore the system's main partition to it's factory default settings. This is why there is no installation CD shipped with the hardware.

Other than that, you'll have to obtain an ISO CD (or DVD) image for your particular build.

One potential problem you'll encounter is Product Keys for Windows, Office, etc... You may be able to obtain these from the vendor of your system quoting yor system's Serial Number.

I have installed Power Iso and the file has changed to an iso file accordingly. I have run imgburn and browsed for the iso file and that shows on imgburn. I don't know how to burn it now.

I have managed to burn it to CD and put it in broken lappy. It did say press any key to start from CD (thought I was getting there). It then said 'choose keyboard language' so I selected United Kingdom and then clicked on next, and that was it. It just shows me the Windows background, and the CPU light isn't even flickering, which tells me that nothing is happening. That's what it has done all day, even when I tried a system repair.

I'm getting a bit Peed off now to be honest.:mad2:

I appreciate all your help though.

Simultanious post:p Edited

Have you tried pressing f10, or f11, or f12 imediatly after pressing the power button to access the restore files?

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Before I get the boot option it says:

1. No emulation. system type 00

then it lets me boot from CD, if that's any help.

I am Doald Ducked as soon as I select a keyboard input language. As soon as I select and click next, it dies. Just a background with a few flowers and nothing else. I can even move my arrow around the screen, there is just nothing to click on though. I want to do this:

To run the Bootrec.exe tool, you must start Windows RE. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Put the Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
  2. Press a key when you are prompted.
  3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.
  4. Click Repair your computer.
  5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
  6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
  7. Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER.

But I am only allowed to put a keyboard language in?????????

I think your best bet is to re-install from the recovery partition (I think it's CTRL + F10 or CTRL + F11 or CTRL + F12 actually thinking on....) Give all of those a go mate and tell me if they boot up any diferent options.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

None of them do anything Loccy. I am surprised that even the Samsung Recovery Tool doesn't work. It starts for a while and then just gives in and leaves my arrow on the screen that says please wait. I get to the tool by pressing F4 on startup.

It is wierd :???: Are you sure it's not just an extra long wait period? Any chance you could leave it overnight at that page?

to

C.A.G. Toolbar