Powerhouse/indesit.

money
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6618 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We bought an oven in August last year and the handle snapped off the bottom oven. I called them and the bloke came out yesterday to fix it, free as still in 12 months. It is a double oven (2 doors, one on top of the other). He told me that they have changed the design, the top door and handle is now different to the bottom door and handle. He has arranged to fit a new top one free as I said I refuse to accept 2 different styles, but I don't really like the new style.

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks.

How long did this all happen?

Don't quite understand the question! But bought it August, handle snapped last week, phoned customer service centre, bloke came out to fix it yesterday, he will come out again and fix the new one next Tuesday.

Does that answer your question?

Yes, it is a very important queston. If it had happend a few months ago then they would have argued quite reasonably that you had accepted the alteration to the style and there would be little that you could do. As it only happend last week then you have acted with alacrity and you wuld be quite reasonable in rejecting the new style.

The first thing you have to do is to put them on notice. Tell then that you don't want the new handle and that you don't like the style. Don't let them fit the second handle.

Are you able to say here what you actually do want as a resolution to the problem?

What is the value ot the item?

I don't know what a resolution would be, I resigned myslef to having to accept what looks like inferior handles/door. The door is near enough the same, but the handle is much smaller and just looks different. The cooker was over £400 reduced from 500. Obviously end of design i guess. It is still for sale much cheaper with the old handles though. The reason we bought this cooker was that we liked the handles.

What could I 'demand' then?

Can I post a link and then I can explain?

yes, post a link but also visit a store and take a photo of a new style and an old style one. To show the whole thing and also some close ups of the handle.

How much are the old style ones going for now?

Why do like the old ones so much? Is it anything to do with the look of your kitchen?

On powerhouse and Indesit own sites the cooker is exactly the same as mine is, which makes me think that maybe there has been a mistake? The fitter was shocked and kept saying how stupid the company are for changing the design.

This is mine, note how the handles are stuck to the door all along the width and they come to near the edge of the door?

http://www.powerhouse.co.uk/pws/ProductDetails.ice?ProductID=16378&categoryID=CAT_ELECTRICCOOKERS&navCategoryID=

The new handles are only attached in 2 places, not all along and do not go the full width, old handle was 22 inches width new one is 19. I know size doesn't matter but the only reason i chose this is for the handles, I hate electric cooker, they look so naff and this is the only one I liked.

Old style are going for 400 as standard now, some places even less. We paid £419.99 which was a discounted from 500 (I think) and also with a managers discretion discount of 20, so it was 400.

I might go to powerhouse and see if they still have the old stock in, if they do then tell them I want an exchange.

Put them on notice in writing that the new style handles are not acceptable to you.

personally, if I write them I would convert an old one to new style handles and give you the old style handles and you would have one spare and go away a happy customer.

Suggest this to them and to their customer relations. If they won't go for it then you should suggest £100 refund. If they won't go for that then propose a court action at which I expect that you would be awarded £50.

I think that a solution negotiated on a pair of handles is the most intelligent way forward.

Come back here if you want to sue them.

I called them at late last night and got told to call today after 9am. I have just called and she has never come across this before, she told me to contact indesit myself and ask them for a replacement. I said no, I thought my contract was with you. Was that right? Anyway, she is contacting Indesit on my behalf. I told her I would be happy with a full replacement, old door and handles back or £100 refund for my 'inferior' looking cooker.

i will just sit and wait now!

I said no, I thought my contract was with you. Was that right?

Absolutely

What do I do now? Powerhouse have spoen to indesit and indesit have said that they hve the right to alter design at any point. Powerhouse say they can't exchnage or refund any money without indesits say so.

She has given me the customer service number, just wondered what i should say to them?

Thanks!!

I'm sure that Indesit have the right to change the design but that has nothing to do with you.

You hve the right to have the guarantee properly honoured.

tell Powerhouse that your contract is with them and that they should be insisting on proper support form Indesit but if they don't that it is up to them.

Suggest to Powerhouse that they do a switch of handles on one of their old models or warn them that this could lead to court action if they will not support the model which they supplied to you.

before you do this you will have to decide whether or not you are prepared to go to court. Only talk the talk if you are prepared to walk the walk.

If you want to begin a claim then you will have to bring it under s.14 SGA 1979 (amended) on the implied term as to satisfactory quality.

Find out what the cost of replacement handles - new or old - would be if you had to buy them.

If you are not prepared to go to court then try to puch for new handles and between £50 and £100 - go for the tim and settle for less if you have to.

If they won't budge then sue. You will get a payment and new style handles. They can't win and at some pint the case will get into the hands of someone who is able to understand that.

It amazes me that a big company like this can't see the advantage of doing a deal involving a pair of old style handles.

Well, they really are digging their heels in!!

They refuse point blank to send out an engineer to replace back to the original. I am allowed to go into the store and collect new (old style) handles and door fronts but luckily I am clever enough to know that this will invalidate my guarantee.

I am in the middle of figuring out what to write in my letter, got to go and buy batteries for camera and ink for pc to send letters with photos. I will include the words ruining overall look, unnacceptable repair, give them 7 days to give me a satisfactory response, i will send recorded delivery, repair does not remedy breach of contract blah blah blah. This is what trading standards have advised me to do.

How frustrating.

As they have now agred to let you have the old style handles that you want, if I wre you I would go in and get them so that they are secure and don't disappear.

Deal with the fitting of them afterwards.

I can't see that you make any admissions by receiving them.

I also have to take in the door and handle that was fitted by the engineer, so as soon as i take that off my guarantee is invalid due to me not being their engineer. They are trying to catch me out. I have phoned a few stores and they all have the old style in stock. I don't understand it, I get the feeling Powerhouse are lying, I might call Indesit.

My letter so far, what else could I put in it?

I purchased an Indesit cooker/double oven (KD6C7EX) from Festival Park Powerhouse on 10/08/2005.

The handle snapped off the bottom oven on approximately 22/03/2006, I called to arrange an engineer visit immediately; an Indesit engineer came out on 28/03/2006 to replace the handle on the bottom oven. He opened the box and the handle was dramatically different from the original but he still fitted it as he told me that there is no way that I could get an old style one as they have altered the design (he also had to fit a new door front due to changed design). When my husband came home from work we discussed it and we are very unhappy with the new style handles. The repair to the door and handle does not remedy the breach of contract. It ruins the overall look of the cooker. I emailed pictures to Karen Sweet at lunchtime on 03/04/2006. I haven’t received confirmation that she has received these yet.

I have been dealing with Matt at the customer service centre, on the whole he tried to be helpful but I am unsure if what he is telling me is accurate. He told me as a ‘good will’ gesture I could take the door and handles from my cooker that were fitted by the engineer into the Stoke store and collect a door and handle off their display model, why would he tell me to do this as I know that as soon as I do that my guarantee is invalid? Or is that WHY he told me to do that?

I have contacted Trading Standards and I am now acting on their advice. I have also had legal advice. I give you 7 days from receipt of this letter in which to resolve this matter to my satisfaction.

You have the old style cooker in Stoke and Stafford (the only 2 I have called). I would be happy with either an engineer to fit an old style door and handle on the bottom oven or a full replacement cooker. I have made numerous calls to 0870 numbers, recorded delivery of letters and many hours stressing and researching my rights.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6618 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks