Company Dress Code - I was sent home from work today.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5080 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Insomniak, you should think very carefully about the consequences of your behaviour - it is very unlikely you will get the result you want.

Take heed of Sidewinder's excellent advice which has been delivered with great patience !

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

I believe that if we give them an inch they will take a mile

We may have all sorts of protections for employees nowadays and rightly so but I think you'll find that he who pays the piper still calls the tune. What you're being asked to do is not unreasonable. What 'mile' do you think they'll take?

No, no, no, I would have some lovely stories to tell the press on what really happens within the service and just how "justice" is done.

If the victims of some on these crimes felt hard done by when the offender was "only given community service" then imagine how they would feel that the person is actually not doing much service to the community at all.

Just one question do you consider visible tattoos as "professional image" and do consider flip flops "professional image" ??

During my working career when I could not get a permanent position due to my age as I was over 50 this was early in 2000, I work as a temporary employee. My agency assigned me to worked in one these places, in an office where offenders were called to report for their community services, some community services offenders would be allocated to work in charity shops others were assign to clean up parks etc and some of the offenders did not turn up at all for their community services.

The manager did not have clue on what she should be doing as well assome of her colleagues. The manager was continuously on the phone telling her superiors she was snowed under and could not cope. Believed me, I could not wait to get out of that assignment and move on to another one.

Doing temporary work was an eye opener seeing how some organizations managed their staff and offices. I enjoyed it thought as it was never boring as there was always something new to learn.

I work for the Pr0bati0n Service, ..... I then applied for a full time position and was accepted and so became a permanent member of staff....

I think they would settle out of court for around £50k with a confidentiality clause.

No, no, no, I would have some lovely stories to tell the press on what really happens within the service and just how "justice" is done.

Insomniak, as the "Pr0bati0n Service" are part of the Ministry of Justice, you will be bound by the Official Secrets Act - thus they already have a confidentiality clause with you.

However, if you want to go tell the press your "lovely stories" then I'm sure your then former employers will find it lovely to share their stories of your breaches of the OSA with the courts.

Just so your aware...

Offences of unauthorised disclosure under the Act may be tried either on indictment, on High Court or Sheriff Court, or summarily, in a Sheriff Court by a magistrates' court. The maximum penalties are two years' imprisonment or an unlimited fine, or both, if the offence is tried on indictment, and six months' imprisonment or a £2000 fine, or both, if the offence is tried summarily.

Oh, and grow up. Be grateful you have employment in this difficult period. Currently there are 1.48 million people claiming job seekers allowance, of which I'm certain a large number would be happy to do your job whilst wearing the appropriate office wear.

At times, I do worry about people's attitudes towards life.....

It seems that Insomniak is hoping to be fired in the hope that they will get a fat payoff at our expense. I hope it all goes wrong if that is Insomniak's attitude when thousands of other people are battling to get a job.

What Insomniak does not realise that if Insomniak is made redundant due to cut backs by current government, it saves the taxpayer a fortune and Insomniak has no recall.

Official Secrets Act - I don't think so somehow,

I can't believe the nerve of you all, its people like you lot who have made the banks go bust and caused the credit crunch. All demanding your charges back and lowering the interest rates in the process. Why don't you just pay the charges like reasonable people?

Im going in tomorrow suited & booted and going to lay down some laws of my own on these muppets.

I can't believe the nerve of you all, its people like you lot who have made the banks go bust and caused the credit crunch. All demanding your charges back and lowering the interest rates in the process. Why don't you just pay the charges like reasonable people?

Im going in tomorrow suited & booted and going to lay down some laws of my own on these muppets.

Petulance won't help you, here or at work, my lovely. Simply because we are all telling you you're wrong is no reason to throw your toys out of the pram, it should make you stop and think that maybe there's a reason everyone is telling you so, and that reason quite simply is that you are indeed wrong.

By all means, go to work, indeed you should, and be sure to let us know how you got on. But if you don't get your own way, please don't throw a tantrum like on here, because I doubt that will impress them greatly. :-)

• Haha 1

I work for the NHS in a back office position. The dress code is smart casual and I normally wear black shoes, black trousers and a polo shirt. However, if I am required to attend a meeting with someone from a different department, I will change into a shirt an wear a tie - I am not a tie person! but I accept that I have to have a professional image when dealing with people face to face.

The only time we can wear jeans is either on a charity dress down day, or when working in an envrionment where you can become dirty - i.e. working in a store room and moving kit around.

It doesn't cost a fortune to look smart.

I realise that some people do have to buy items of clothing specifically for work.

If so, keep the receipts and reclaim the cost from the Her Majestys Income and Excise.

Also, if you are required to wear corporate branded workwear and launder them yourself, then you can reclaim this cost by simply sending a letter to your relevant employers tax office asking for laundry reimbursment.

................and you can claim BOTH of these costs going back 6 years.

I realise that some people do have to buy items of clothing specifically for work.

If so, keep the receipts and reclaim the cost from the Her Majestys Income and Excise.

Also, if you are required to wear corporate branded workwear and launder them yourself, then you can reclaim this cost by simply sending a letter to your relevant employers tax office asking for laundry reimbursment.

................and you can claim BOTH of these costs going back 6 years.

Hi supasnooper and guys. I would recommend anyone planning to take this route to read the HMRC website very carefully on the exact rules.

Many office workers have tried to claim for suits for example, which they don't wear any other time, but HMRC always used to take the view that the suits could be worn outside the work environment.

I can see that company logo wear could be different, never had to check the rules on that.

I think our OP was only asked to wear trousers instead of jeans, and a t-shirt or similar with a collar.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I went in today in some nice black trousers and polo shirt, and some poor lady got sent home for wearing culottes.

Willl she loose pay for the time she was at home...it was a nice day to have off if she got paid for it;)

Hmm yes I did have to keep washing some revolting corporate logo stuff as well - any idea how I would phrase that letter?

Something along the lines of below worked for me -

Your Name,

Your Address

Your Tax Office

Your Tax office address

Tax Office reference no.

Your National Insurance number

Dear Sir \ Madam,

I have been advised to put in writing about claiming for washing my own work logo issue Shirts, trousers, jumpers and jackets provided by my employer ********

There is no facility to do this at my place of employment, and have been informed that I can claim for this.

I have also been informed that I can claim for the last 6 years.

I enclose a recent photocopy of my wage slip to verify all the NI details you will require.

Yours Sincerely,

Your name

Work clothes can only be claimed if they are not "normal" clothes. A boiler suit could be claimed, my trouser suit can't. Steel toe capped boots could be claimed, but my court shoes can't.

I don't see it myself, but apparently we wear "normal" work clothes because we can't walk around in the nude, nothing to do with work, even if we are required to wear clothes we would not normally be seen dead in, in my case, a posh suit.

I value this forum very highly, after the help provided to me with my current employment problems. You only need to read a few threads to see people dealing with real, serious employment issues.

This, by no means is a serious employment issue. Dress smart, deal with it.

I have both my arms covered in tattoo's, I always wore a full suit for work, or dropped the tie if required. Work in a proper business environment and looking smart is important, first impressions count.

Theres alot of people on this forum that would happily trade thier problems for yours, so rather than getting whiney and defensive about it, man up, look at what people are saying and either dress smart and get over it, or quit and have a fun time explaining to anyone in an interview why you left your last job.

• Haha 1