Call for road tax to be scrapped

Surfer01
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5063 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

No, if you read the article it's about getting rid of tax discs - not tax.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Now 'they' have ANPR machines linked to current databases of MOTs, Insurance etc do we really have no need to have an actual Tax Disc, MOT Certificate or Insurance Certificate at all?

Following on, it really would seem to be the time to scrap the Road Tax itself and instead add a few pence to fuel duty.

This has the advantages of -

-ensuring there is no evasion and that everyone pays for their road use

-makes those who use roads more, pay more

-encourage less fuel usage, = less environmental damage

-reduces Public Sector jobs and costs of currently keeping track of Road Fund Licenses, issuing reminders etc and the process of updating them

-has no collection costs as it is just a bit more on the %rates of Duty/VAT

-slightly relieves Post Office queues

-ensures foreign cars pay their share for using our roads

If officialdom still requires more than just it's own databases and insists something be displayed on the vehicle, why not just have a small dated MOT type sticker and as part of the test procedure a valid Insurance Certificate must have been be produced.

All too simple, I suppose.

Edited by Tony P

Can't see how. VED disappears into their fiscal black hole, along with all the other taxes, and very little is spent on roads, they need to fund the salary and pensions of all those non-jobbers, and diversity coordinators.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Very Little? None of the VED revenue are spent on the roads itself. That's why it is called VED and not 'Road Tax' - its all in the description!

Exactly, just an excuse to extort more from the captive milch cow, but the milk is all but dried up.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

No argument from me!

I hope that you are not feeling ill or unweel as this is a most unusual statement from you considering that the link refers to article written March before the election and by the previous gvoernment..

I hope that you are not feeling ill or unweel as this is a most unusual statement from you considering that the link refers to article written March before the election and by the previous gvoernment..

Not unwell. My comment related to message #7.

• 3 weeks later...
it really would seem to be the time to scrap the Road Tax itself and instead add a few pence to fuel duty.

They already have a duty on petrol and they tax the oil that petrols made from then they have vat at pumps.

so tax oil, levy dutie on pet/derv then wait till petral companies put a bit on for their profit then charge 17.5% vat on the bloody lot (20% after new year) add any more to that and their calculators will explode.

VED is a fixed income for them add it to petrol then income becomes very fluid. if theirs a fuel shortage or people stop using their cars then income drops and it makes it hard to balance their books its a lot easier to budget if you have a fixed income.

I was told life was supposed to be one long learning curve.

Mines more a series of hairpin bends.