What if I moved out of UK?

eu_citizen
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5142 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear All,

I would like you to help me with my situation - if possible. Last year I was diagnosed with a cancer and left London, leaving everything behind to go back to my country (EU country) for treatment. Long story short, I stopped paying my Amex, but I couldnt care less because health and surviving was my top priority. Cancer was removed, but need to go for regular check-ups and I only came back to the UK in January because my old company wanted me back and so I did, to start with my life all over again.

Now, since then I am living at a different address and my old Amex is still registered with the old address and I havent really opened any letters after I left (I guess I should) to see the extent of me not paying them any money. I have now DCA's calling me constantly, last one being Allied International Credit from Scotland, Glasgow. they found me at my work, started with emails and now they are calling me at work as well. So far I have dodged them.

I dont own my own place in the UK and I dont have anything they could take away from me legally in the UK. I dont really care about my credit rating as I intend to move to south of Europe within a few years, but I would like to know what I should do. Should I just keep on ignoring them or should I start opening those letters and do some action about it? Can they chase me outside UK? I plan to stay for a few years in London, and I am not quite sure what action to take... Maybe I do need to see a solicitor...

Any help is much appreciated as this is making a nerve wreck out of me and in the health situation I am in, this whole situation doesnt really help.

thank you ever so much for offering some sort of help!

On a mobile so can't post links for you, but what you need will be on the forum.

1. Your health is the most important thing.

2. Amex/DCA don't give a *&%! about you.

3. If they call tell them you will only communicate in writing and you are not allowed personal calls at work. Send that in writing too.

4. Open the letters to see what you have and staple envelope to the letter.

5. Post up important or documents you need advice on (paintshop out personal info/ac nos).

6. Send a s77/78 request to the DCA.

7. Try not to worry.

8. Your health is still the most important thing.

Once we know the situation it will be easier for folks to help.

You will likely have more than one option.

uteb

Edited by uptoeyeballs

• 3 weeks later...

"I dont own my own place in the UK and I dont have anything they could take away from me legally in the UK. I dont really care about my credit rating"

If you are trueful in this statement then you really shouldn't worry. If you want to deflect the calls from work buy a cheap pay as you go phone and give them that number. If they call just talk spanish in it or your favourite language.

Long term you should think what your plan is. If you just want a peaceful life (you certainly seem to have enough to worry about) then it may well be worth a few quid a month to keep them quite.

Just decide what you want to pay, send them a letter saying this is all you can afford and pay it regularly. They are very unlikely to bother you if regular payments are been made even if it is just until you vanish.

If you want to challenge the agreement or default legally you will find alot of help here but it is a long pathway to take.