Help Needed to Claim back Charges!

kyri_s
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5120 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, opened a nationwide account around 6 years ago, didn't get a debit card so had to use credit cards as debit cards to do regular everyday transactions. As their on-line banking facility was ok didn't really mind so much as most bill etc paid in this way.

However everytime a DD failed, or their charges took me overdrawn, BUMP! £27.50! even for DD of under £10.00. I calculate approximately £1500 I've paid in charges over the years. Needless to say no longer with Nationwide, got a proper bank account with Halifax within minutes- debit card, overdraft, loan - No problem!

Can anybody let me know what the next move is to try and claim this money back?, and how does this test-case waiver affect my claim?

Was this a basic account?

Does having a basic bank account make a difference. I ask because I am in similar position with Nationwide having had an account with no cheque book or debit card I am trying to get back my charges see my thread Charbydis vs Nationwide.

I think that there may be a basis for challenging charges on a basic bank account.

Can you post a link to your thread

Hi Bankfodder, thanks for the reply.

Yes this was a basic account, so basic, it didn't have a cheque book, nor debit card, just a bank (maestro/sirrus) 'cash card' and online banking.

Paying bills online was ok, but making purchases a 'nightmare', so had to use credit cards as current accounts and kept transferring cash credits to credit cards....

Was any of this overdraft made up of charges upon charges?

Well, there was no official overdraft on the account for my use, however, if occasionally, there was insufficient funds to cover a particular direct debit, then they would reverse the transaction and then apply a 'failed Direct Debit fee' od £27.50. If, this then put the account into overdraft, then another 'unauthorised o/draft' fee would also be applied, and so on....

this could be interesting as trying to do my sisters bank charges. she had about £600.00 of charges upon charges until I paid a F&F settlement of £250.00. would be interested to know how having a basic account will affect this.

subbing.

If there are spelling mistakes on my posts, I blame the gremlins tapping my keys. :eek:

• 4 weeks later...

I'm subbing as well as I would be interested to know the outcome of this.

I had a nationwide basic flex account that was defaulted in 2007 from charges on top of charges to the tune of £272.

I now have the pleasure of westcot Credit services harrasing me for the debt.

I tried in the past to get them to refund them and I think they have me like £70 back and refused the rest.

I'd love to get it sorted as I'm re mortgaging soon, i should start my own thread.

Subbing as had a basic Flex account with them for about 5 years then moved to Lloyds for a normal account. They are threatening to DN me as for the past 5 months not used their account facility and they keep putting charges on charges and then interest on top of that due to a failed DD that took me into an unauthorised overdraft. Basically the whole amount of £260 is TOTALLY their charges and interest.

Welcome Finance £5000 - 4 CCA requests 1 SAR pending,

Nationwide £283 (all made up of unauth charges) SAR pending

Capquest £2713.27 Statue barred debt - Prove it letter sent

Pounds till payday CCA request pending

Cashgenie CCA request pending

Quickquid CCA request pending

MEM CCA request pending

WGA - Payment plan agreed without any hassle :-o

Wonga £398 (£148 in charges) Complained to TS and OFT :grin: 1 CCA request pending

• 4 weeks later...

I have received a letter from Nationwide, dated 8th May, telling me they have reviewed my overdraft limit and are reducing it from £1500 to £800 as from 3rd June. Because I have exceeded my overdraft limit without authorisation, the only time this happenend was in January when I went over my limit because they took out their interest the day before my pension went into my account, putting me over my limit by £4 odd. they then charged me a fee for going over my limit!! As I am now living on benefits and a small company pension I cannot afford such a big drop. so I rang and they agreed I can pay off my overdraft at £60 per month, however this will still make it very difficult to make ends meet.

Can they actually take their charges and make my account over my limit, a short time before this they bounced a DD because it would have made me £1.75 over my limit and charged me £30 for the privilege. When I rang the guy asked me if I had any savings or another card I could use, since all my accounts are with them they surely know how much I have (or not as the case may be)

thanks for any info

Dee