Samsung LCD faulty after 4/5 months

Andiii
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5193 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hoping for some advice on how to deal with Comet, after having the misfortune to be quoted all sorts of EU directives my one of their managers when trying to resolve the situation.

An 87 year old friend of ours bought his Samsung LCD Model 2033HD on 17/09/09. Apparently from the start it made a buzzing noise and the power lead was loose but he thought that was what new TV's did and didn't complain until he could no longer bear the noise.

We took the TV back for him on 7/02/10 and were told it was Comet's policy to repair the TV and do a chargeback to Samsung - not sure what this has to do with the consumer. We were told the TV would be back on 20/02/10, today. The TV is not back and the manager had no idea when it will be back apart from 'it shouldn't be long'. He denied the fact that if something is faulty within 6 months it's up to them to prove that it wasn't faulty when sold and again EU directives were mentioned. The 87 year old in question has no other TV, lives on his own and is becoming increasingly distressed with the situation. He's tried to phone their call centres himsel but is just baffled by them, I'm not surprised after trying myself. Is there anything we can do to help him get his TV back or a replacement? Comet insist they are acting withing the law and it is 'reasonable' to wait for a repair to be done, while this may be true it doesn't make it right. Any advice welcome please.

send them this letter mate, or take a copy to the store.

Your name

First line of address

Second line of address

Third line of address

Fourth line of address

Contact telephone number

Owner/Manager’s name

First line of company address

Second line of company address

Third line of company address

Fourth line of company address

Today’s date

Dear Sir/Madam,

RE: Faulty goods and the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended)

On [date of purchase] I bought a [description of purchase] from you for [insert price] which has stopped working.

The problem is [enter description of fault].

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) states that when a consumer buys goods from a trader they must be: as described; of a satisfactory quality; and fit for the purpose made known at the time of sale by you or the seller.

This legislation also states that the seller, not the manufacturer, is legally obliged to sort out a problem if the goods do not meet these requirements.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) says: if goods break within the first six months after purchase then there is a presumption the goods were faulty when sold.

My goods are not [delete as appropriate - as described/fit for purpose/of satisfactory quality] and I wish to claim a [delete as appropriate - repair/replacement/refund] of my goods under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 as amended.

Please respond to my complaint within 7 days from receipt of this letter.

Yours faithfully,

[your name]

from ones available on one shows website.

Edited by 2ltr16valve
citing where letter is from

EU directives are implemented into UK law, you should or they should quote those instead. :)

Unfortunately when it comes down to it, I do see that comet are acting lawfully (though full of bull). I would generally give it 21 days (another week), whilst I don't agree with such things, some tv faults can take a tad longer with the whole parts fiasco. It is common for items to go off for repair to the manufacturer, or be provided with damages as such, this information is not relevant in the customers case, however DSG and comet both see fit to not do anything if they are not getting something of the manufacturer.

Despite that I would be on to them everyday re: when it is back

Edited by blitz

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Guest Comet Response
Hoping for some advice on how to deal with Comet, after having the misfortune to be quoted all sorts of EU directives my one of their managers when trying to resolve the situation.

An 87 year old friend of ours bought his Samsung LCD Model 2033HD on 17/09/09. Apparently from the start it made a buzzing noise and the power lead was loose but he thought that was what new TV's did and didn't complain until he could no longer bear the noise.

We took the TV back for him on 7/02/10 and were told it was Comet's policy to repair the TV and do a chargeback to Samsung - not sure what this has to do with the consumer. We were told the TV would be back on 20/02/10, today. The TV is not back and the manager had no idea when it will be back apart from 'it shouldn't be long'. He denied the fact that if something is faulty within 6 months it's up to them to prove that it wasn't faulty when sold and again EU directives were mentioned. The 87 year old in question has no other TV, lives on his own and is becoming increasingly distressed with the situation. He's tried to phone their call centres himsel but is just baffled by them, I'm not surprised after trying myself. Is there anything we can do to help him get his TV back or a replacement? Comet insist they are acting withing the law and it is 'reasonable' to wait for a repair to be done, while this may be true it doesn't make it right. Any advice welcome please.

Hi Andiii

My name’s Phil and I’m from Comet.

I was sorry to note the problem that your friend is having with their television.

Although our policy is to attempt a repair where possible, we do aim to do this within a reasonable amount of time so as not to inconvenience our customers any further. However, from the information you have provided I would like to look into this matter further for your friend, therefore, if you could please send me an e-mail via the link below with your friend’s purchase information I will make further investigations. Please note that due to Data Protection, I will need to speak to the customer directly in regards to this matter or obtain his permission for you to deal with you further on his behalf.

https://comet.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/comet.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php

You will need to register a few details with us to be able to send your e-mail in.

Thanks

Phil

Hi Phil

Just to update the TV came back from repair yesterday afternoon and is still displaying the same problems as it had previously.

Welcome to the world of Comet!

No offence to Comet Phil but this made me laugh Although our policy is to attempt a repair where possible, we do aim to do this within a reasonable amount of time so as not to inconvenience our customers any further” This certainly wasnt the case for me five months ago and the same can be said for nearly every other Comet thread on here. Anyhoo rant over………

Andii it might be worth contacting Samsung directly and get them to sort the problem out. Since Comet have failed to repair it once the chances are if it goes back in for another repair it’ll come back the same.

Edited by johnym

Unfortunately there are very few qualified TV engineers that can fixed these new televisons as the circuitry is quite involved. generally the easiet way to try and change a panel and hope you have changed the right one.

Actually it would be interesting to know how many fully qualified TV technicians Comet has working for them that are capable to repairing these modern TVs.

Hi Johnym

Thanks for your reply. Yesterday afternoon, I managed to get a full refund on the gentleman's TV as a 'gesture of goodwill', this was after directly speaking to the Managing Director's office - my Facebook group managed to attract the attention of someone that had the MD's mobile number and office number(his PA answers that) and also the Service manager's mobile number.

The store staff attempted to say the TV wasn't what they would class as faulty after having it on test - the sound was still unacceptable and the power lead, still worked it's way loose, causing the TV to switch itself on and off before finally going off completely. This fault was witnessed by a junior member of Comet staff the evening it came back from repair and we insisted it was tested in front of us before leaving the shop but amazingly it didn't occur while on test with no witnesses the following day.

Anyway, we got a refund after lots of phone calls, Facebook networking and have purchased a TV from M&S for the gentleman so he is happily now back watching TV after 18 long days going without. Even at the point of refund Comet staff still refuted that they had "Significantly inconvenienced" the old man. I categorically believe they did and any other right minded person would think so too - which is in contravention of the Sale of Goods Act.

I will never, ever purchase anything from Comet ever again and I would suggest anyone thinking about it should look carefully at their reputation for aftersales care, we all hope a product won't become faulty but it sometimes does happen - just have a search around the internet there are some abysmal tales of how Comet Aftersales have treated paying customers.

To COMET RESPONSE.

just have a search around the internet there are some abysmal tales of how Comet Aftersales have treated paying customers.

It is always very encouraging to see companies taking a responsible attitude to their customer's complaints and problems and it is a situation that is very welcome.

Unfortunately, Joe Public doesn't always appreciate the procedures that companies have to follow in resolving problems and this can, at times, seem to be very long and drawn out.

No, I don't, and never have, worked for Comet but before moving to industrial electronics, I spent very many years working for a national TV Rental Company, so it's fair to say that I am more than a little bit clued up on this subject.

The only problem that can arise where company help is given, is all too often the poster disappears and we never get to learn of the outcome.

Can I ask you, whenever you offer help of this kind to our users, you make regular posts on the thread so that other users will learn of the outcome.

If the help given is genuine then it can only improve your standing among your customers.

Also, as a matter of procedure, can you please email Admin to make your presence known. The email address is admin@consumeractiongroup.co.uk

(please note that there should be no spaces in the email address.

Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Hi Rooster

I emailed 'Phil' at Comet and it seems to be a link to the generic ask a question email Comet page that is on their website. Obviously I sorted out the problem before 'Phil' had a chance to do anything. You get an automatic email response from the Comet website saying that a member of customer services will look into your questions and get back to you within 24 hours. I got a reply back from someone called Becky saying that she had checked the records and the matter had been dealt with by the Director's Office and therefore the matter closed.

Obviously I have no idea if I would have received better customer services from this section of Comet than the others I dealt with but just wanted to give you an idea of what Comet Response is.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyway, we got a refund after lots of phone calls, Facebook networking and have purchased a TV from M&S for the gentleman so he is happily now back watching TV after 18 long days going without.

The SOGA has no time limit for how long a repair should go on. With this in mind if your brand new TV develops a fault, did you enquire with M&S how long the repair time they allow, I imagine it will be the same time as Comet? So if it develops a fault you will be in the same situation. The only way companies would change is if it stated a time like 1 or 2 weeks in the SOGA. This would cause higher percentage of replacements costing the manufactures and/or retailers more money. This charge would have to be passed on to the us the customer.