Liquid spill - "Whatever Happens" cover

wahidemp
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5028 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have purchased a present for my daughter who needed a laptop for school which was purchased on 30th April 2006 with a What ever happens agreement (Pc performance). My daughter is 16years old and now entering her critical year for her studies. She needs to do her home work without her laptop she cant do her home work. When I did purchased the laptop it had built in tv tuner which was a great benefit her as she does not have a tv in her bedroom. When I did purchased the toshiba laptop the sales person told me it is wise to take out an agreement which will cover accidental damage and breakdown for the peace of mind. I have been paying £9.99 a month from the day of purchase until now for the peace of mind.

My daughter while working on her school work accidentally spilt hot tea on her laptop that caused her to drop it on the floor. The screen was not cracked just liquid spilt.

I phoned pc performance Tech guys regarding about this incident which they booked in for a courier to pick up the laptop with the power supply. I did forget to send him the power supply so I phoned them if they need it. Tech guys told me call them back whether they needed it. I have phoned numerous times and they told me the laptop is fixed and is a matter of time sending it back to me.

When the laptop was sent back to me my daughter signed the laptop from the courier where the laptop was sticky and the screen was cracked. The keys was dent inside as if someone put an object between the keys and the screen and stamped on it. The back of the case was also dented. The screen was not damaged when i sent it to them. My mum in law and daughter was distraught as they saw it in a bad state. I did recieve a letter covering that it was a neglect.I took the laptop to the store in croydon and spoke to a manager he said he will sort out the problem, unfortunately he was on holiday and the laptop was left for more then two months neglected. When he did came back to store he did apologies to me and sent it back to Tech guys. They still refuse to fix the problem, So he told me to contact you and see you can sort out this matter.

I cant afford to buy another laptop for my daughter and felt guilty as she have to borrow mine.

I'm reading far too many stories about this "Whatever Happens" cover and am beginning to wonder if Consumer Direct should be brought into this whole sorry shambles now....:mad:

Here's another example...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/currys-dixons/244561-problem-whatever-happenings-cover-3.html

I'm reading far too many stories about this "Whatever Happens" cover and am beginning to wonder if Consumer Direct should be brought into this whole sorry shambles now....:mad:

Here's another example...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/currys-dixons/244561-problem-whatever-happenings-cover-3.html

I agree and can't understand why they are just giving in and doing a drip 'I aint goin wiv them again'.

Drip to the company, get on their backs, threaten court and do it.

can anyone give me advise to fight this case as no one wants to help me

It's not that no-one wants to help you....

What you need to do though is correspond in writing only and push for a full, written explanation as to why they're not adhering to their own policy.....as per the full explanation of events that you've posted up on here.

By rec. delivery....

This kind of problem needs a paper trail..... trying to sort it out by phone is a mistake and will get you nowhere in most cases.

:)

i dont have any evidence that the screen was cracked during the time it was not taken, it was a liquid spillage.

Liquid spillage is still accidental damage, so I would go with your original claim, but add that it came back with a cracked screen with no explanation..... and that you now demand a full explanation/report as to what's been going on it since it was collected from you, why it was returned to you in such a state, why such a "reputable" company thought it was ok to return it in such a state; leaving you to discover the additional damage..... and, why they seem to be continually trying to wriggle out of their responsibilities under a policy you've been paying X amount towards for X amount of time.

In other words.... head it up with the words "Formal Complaint" and get angry! :mad:

If you'd like to draft up a letter and post it up on here, I'll be happy to check it out for you.

shall i write something like this, am not good in writing letters

When the laptop was taken into your custody under the, “whatever happens coverplan,” I would like to*remind you, the state of laptop screen was not cracked as to the damage that was obvious at the time your couriers working with your permission collected the laptop. I would also remind you that under the “sale of goods act” that you have a legal responsibility for the*”duty of care”*and safe handling, whilst it is in your custody.

If further damage has occurred by your neglect to carry out your legal obligations has been caused, this is irrelevant anyway in this case, as the original accidental damage caused by liquid , no matter how small or large, has detracted from*any possible viewing pleasure and reasonable enjoyment from the future use of the laptop.

This is the sole reason for*the existence of the*insurance in the first place to cover this very event, and I hold you responsible*as the retailer that*the contract is*with to fully replace the screen as part of that*cover*entitlement, otherwise the matter will have to be taken to a higher authority with the possibility of you facing legal action.

Please give me your written response to this reasonable request within the next few days and let me know what you are going to do to rectify the*accidental damage*under this cover, or I shall reluctantly*be forced to take further action to resolve this matter.

I've edited it a little for you, but please check that it still reads correctly according to your situation. If so, send by rec. delivery and keep the receipt.

Dear xxxx

Your Ref xxxxx

FORMAL COMPLAINT

I am writing with reference to the policy number listed above.

My laptop was taken into your custody after I reported a liquid spillage accident under my "Whatever Happens" insurance policy on xx/xx/xx. When the laptop was returned to me however, it had developed a cracked screen which was not present at the time the laptop was passed over into your care.

To date, not only has there has been no explanation as to how this damage occurred but I am absolutely furious at the fact that you seem to have absolved yourself of any responsibility to care for my laptop in the first place, and also neglect to repair/replace it under the terms and conditions of my policy!

I therefore require a full copy of the engineer's report in question, together with a full, written explanation from yourselves as to why you have so far failed to repair/replace my laptop, the subsequent damage to my laptop screen caused by yourselves through neglect whilst it was in your care and what you intend to do about both.

Please be advised that if I do not hear from you in writing within a period of 14 days, that I will have no alternative but to seek redress through the Small Claims Court.

Yours faithfully,

Edited by PriorityOne

It would be a good idea to post the address details to send the complaint to I used either DSGI's CEO at

John Browett, Chief Executive

DSG international plc

Maylands Avenue

Hemel Hempstead

Herts HP2 7TG

or

Their Own Complaints Dept at

Correspondence & Complaints Manager

Correspondence Team

PO BOX 1686

Sheffield

S2 5YB

Or both - if everyone with a problem does this, maybe they'll change ?

Best of luck!:-|

• 3 weeks later...

By far the best advice, which cured all my problems is a simple phone call to Consumer Direct 08454 04 05 06. They are very straight very understanding and have some sort of `link` to the dsgi group? after one call to them (after weeks of hassle letters and phone calls to dsgi) I get a call with my voucher codes for a new TV, I am now in possession of a new TV, very happy and this time I'm getting a Sky Protect plan for TV's which is better and cheaper that Whatever happens - Best of luck

CM004d8137;)

• 4 weeks later...

Did you send by rec. delivery?

You need a follow up letter (by rec. delivery again) asking for the courtesy of a reply :mad: after such a length of time!.... Enclose a copy of your last letter.

If you fully intend to go through the Small Claims Court on this, then head it up with Letter Before Action and give them a further 14 days.

Not sure how far your getting with this issue, but out of interest when it was sent away, the screen was fine and it was just liquid damage? was this just causing the laptop not to power?

If this is the case, DPD who collect the laptops make a note when they collect it of the state of the laptop, screen damage etc. If tech guys are saying it arrived like that, you may have a claim against dpd.

Chris

Tech Guys

• 4 months later...

The best thing you can do is just call the techguys again and basically start from scratch and get this booked in.

I work for the techguys and ive never known of any been refused but looking at all the reports of this happening I must be wrong.

Please ask me ANY questions and for ANY advice on anything to do with the company

heretohelp

im sorry but that is poor advice, any laptop that has been classed as a coverplan rejection is checked again when it enters the workshop

if it has already been rejected then it is automaticly re-rejected with the same report

when the laptop is rejected it comes with a letter with a address for writting to, the best bet as shown by a previous thread in here where ive provided advice is to write to this address requesting the evidence, if this evidence is not provided or proved false then take them to court, this advice has seen a previous poster get the replacement price of the product plus £200 costs.

reading the post and where you say you work for the techguys i would take a stabbing guess and say enjoy moving to sheffield

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek: