Any advice gratefully received

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5235 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone give me any advice on what to do? OH bought me a £400 netbook in September. 2 weeks ago something behind the screen went and the whole screen is wrecked...the actual glass bit is perfect, it is the bit below that has gone. I sent it back to Sony and they emailed me to say the fault is not covered by the warranty and it will be £779.88!!!!!!!!!! to fix it. I spend ages webchatting (which I hate) and eventually got to speak to a person on the phone. The webchat person and the phone person said that the repair centre said it was accidental damage and I have to pay for it! It def is not accidental damage..it is only me that has used it and I have never bumped it, dropped it or anything. Also, it is still (apart from the problem) immaculate and you can tell by looking at it that it has been taken care of. I told the woman on the phone that, but she just kept repeating "its not coveredd by the warranty". I asked to speak to someone in authority and she said no one was available and even if they were she isn't allowed to pass on calls! She said she would TRY and get someone to call me the following day...no one did! I emailed the CEO of Sony..who didn't bothere to repl (I also emailed customer service). I have went back to the shop who say the problem is with Sony. Sony have now replied to my email saying that the damage coulld have happened and the fault not appear at the time of damage, but at a later date...it is a joke, they just don't want to fix it. Any help would be appreciated.

Who did you buy it from? Ask them for proof of accidental damage as it is up to the retailer to prove you damaged it within 6 months. It doesn't matter whether the fault is covered by warranty or not, but whether they can show it is not an inherent fault

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

your port of call is with the retailer under soga, not with sony.

its their problem to repair it.

dont be fobbed off.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for both replies. It was bought from Sonex, which is a concession within Debenhams. Sony said their repair centre said it was accidental damage and they are professionals! It wasn't accidental damage as it is only myself that had used it and it has never had so much as a scratch, so I just don't know where this leaves me.

My husband went in to Sonex and they put him off saying all thay would do is send it to Sony. I havent got it back yet, so can you offer any advice on my next move?

I emailed Debenhams last night and I have emailed the CEO of Sony AGAIN, but I am not hopeful of a reply from him.

Another issue I have is that Sony are saying it is accidental damage, charging double the original cost to repair it. That would suggest I claim my house insurance, a false claim as it isn''t accidental damage, but Sony would get almost £800 from the insurance company. I am considering contacting insurance companies to see what they think.

Ok Ali, stop worrying, Sony have already stated to you that "saying that the damage coulld have happened and the fault not appear at the time of damage, but at a later date".

My reply would simply highlight that line and point out that the damage was most probably in transit from manufacturer to retailer, unless they can prove otherwise you expect a replacement by return post.

kwaks, I will.... to the reply and to try and stop worrying, but honestly I never thought in a milliion years I would get this grief from a company like Sony and I am not 100% optomistic that my reply will suffice...but I will try, and thanks again

In their email to you they have admitted the damage could have been done at any point with delayed effects. The lack of damage to the exterior would certainly suggest it happened before the unit was completed on the assembly line.

Bit of a gaff to put that in their email, however should work in your favour.