Started the ball rolling!!!!

savingmoneynovice
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6436 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have today posted the letter requesting my bank statements, from Barclays. I feel good that I have made the first step, but also very nervous about the whole procedure! I have read the FAQ thoroughly and a few of the threads already posted. I hope I have similar luck as proven by many of you out there.

If there are any hints or tips and what Barclays first response is likely to be, please could you let me know. I will be very grateful..

I will keep you informed of my progress and hurdles!!! :-?

Guest Mumofthreeboys
I have today posted the letter requesting my bank statements, from Barclays. I feel good that I have made the first step, but also very nervous about the whole procedure! I have read the FAQ thoroughly and a few of the threads already posted. I hope I have similar luck as proven by many of you out there.

If there are any hints or tips and what Barclays first response is likely to be, please could you let me know. I will be very grateful..

I will keep you informed of my progress and hurdles!!! :-?

Good to hear you've done your homework :)

Barclays are one of the slow ones, but just keep to your own timetable and you'll be fine :D

:eek: Now I have set the wheels in motion, and the more I read the more scared I get!!I hope I get the outcome I want like all of us here, getting back what is rightfully ours!!!:)

So, I take it from all of you out there Barclays really does drag it's feet returning the statement's requested.How do you go about setting up a court hearing, or do you start looking into that after the 40 days are up? WOW, I am getting all panicky now, the 'what if's' and 'what about's' are all settling in now:o

I don't think how ever much you read into this, the procedures and what to expect really, do prepare you. It is really quite daunting!!!:?

Any help on the whole thing would be very much appreciated, and Many thanks to mumofthree for her quick response and encouragement:)

Ok, calm down. It is quite straightforward.

First read the FAQ's

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

Then the step by step instructions.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/243-step-step-instructions.html

Then visit the library and prepare your letters using the templates provided.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/

You can do this, spend some time reading and understanding the other threads and ask any questions if you are unsure.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

Hi savingmoneynovie,

For me personally, I have found it easier to cope with by going through one stage at a time, then when the next stage gets nearer reading up on that.

Barclays Bank

13/9/06 - ACCEPTED HALF ON BOTH A/Cs

HSBC

21/10/06 - SETTLED IN FULL

Preferred Mortgages

11/8/06 - prelim let sent - redemption fee

12/07 - case dropped

Halifax B/S

2/07 settled in full

Halifax visa card

MCOL due

Citicards & Hillesden

2/07 Data Protection Act & CCA let sent

3/07 Prelim let sent

4/07 LBA sent

Barclaycard

04/07 offer received for 1/3 - refused

Argos Card services

Half offered - refused

PPI Claims:

8/12 MBNA Loan settled in full

7/12 Barclayloan settled in full

9/12 Liverpool Victoria settled in full

7/12 Barclaycard claim rejected

Hiya, it is me again MISS NERVOUS! I sent my S.A.R letter on friday, what happens next, do I wait and sit out the next 40 days or phone the customer relations manager in London to confirm the receiving of my letter, it just seems a long time to wait and see if they reply, I did send it recorded delivery. I am sorry if this seems trivial, I have read the FAQ's, it different though when you actually doing it!!

Ok, now wait. They have 40 days after all. If you want to check whether or not they received your letter you can do that on the Royal Mail website.

You may get an acknowledgement of your letter in a few days in any case.

Not all the banks are taking the full 40 days and I am sure you will have something soon.

In the meantime, are there anymore you can be getting on with?

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

just a quick update I have received the 'complimentary letter' from Peter Townsend today stating that 'the bank is under no obligation to present information according to any particular format, therefore, my request for a schedule of charges is 'turned aside'. According to the rest of the letter I will be receiving copy statements, where I can obtain this information, within the NEXT few weeks, we will see!!! I was also quite gobsmacked with the reply I got to the question that I believed ther must of been manual intervention, into my account, to explain the charges, which said, 'the bank is not obliged to comment on internal policies and procedures'. Does anyone know what happens next????

• 4 weeks later...

Hiya everyone, I have finally received my bank statements this morning, that is why I haven't added any new posts lately, as I have not had any news, until today.

Right, the next thing I need to do is, complete a schedule of charges from the library documents, and send the prelimenary request for repayment of charges, is that correct. I know everyone asks this question, but, I start reading one thread and then another and so on, I then end up reading too much information at once!!! This issue or interest that can and can;t be reclaimed is confusing each time that I read it. Let's see if I have got it right, you add the interest charged on the overdraft to the charges that are to be claimed back. The 8% 'thing' is only once things have gone further. (I hope this makes sense).

Many thanks for any replies out there...

At this stage you want to identify:-

1. charges for going overdrawn, or going over your overdraft limit - identified as "Unauthorised Overdraft" or "Paid referral" fee,

2. charges for the bank refusing to pay your cheques, standing orders or direct debits - shown as "Charge for item returned unpaid" or "Unpaids out",

3. Overdraft interest - but only if it's on an overdraft (or part of an overdraft) caused directly by the charges above.

Victimnomore

By day, quiet unassuming bank customer - but, by night, .. .. .. .. ..

Barclays Case1

14/03/07 **WON** FULL settlement £3358.39

Barclays Case2

08/09/08 Prelim: please give me my £187.91 back.

Halifax Case1

14/03/07 **WON** Refunded £728 (including £54 costs)

Halifax Case2

08/09/08 Prelim: please give me my £268.24 back.

Thanks for your reply, I must be stupid, I 'live' from my overdraft really, and I have just dug out an old statement, to claim the interest do you mean at the end of the statement, where it says 'overdraft interest' then 'total charges'. Does that mean this charge only goes on if you exceed your o/d limit, or is it for having the o/d????? Then again that wouldn't be fair as I pay that stupid account fee, for having an o/d???? OH, NO I AM RREALLY GETTING CONFUSED!!!! I thought I had it worked out from days of reading other threads and the FAQ's.... And the spreadsheets, well I had a look at them before, how the heck do you do that, my charges are all from going over my o/d, do you just put your own details in, and I think I know now that you don't put in the 8% column, that is for later on, isn't it??? Well, I would be very grateful for anyone that could break all of this down for me, many thanks in advance,,

Hi, first of all, sit down, breathe, and have a nice up of tea. No need to panic.

I'm not sure how you'd calculate the oerdraft interest charge as you no doubt have an arranged overdraft already and this will be subject to an interest rate. There will then be a FURTHER interest rate (much higher) applied if and when you go over your agreed overdraft limit. (I don't know if this is shown seperately on your statements though, or if it's all rolled into one as 'interest charged fee). ANYONE ELSE ABLE TO HELP HERE?????

Secondly, you're quite right. DOnp;t worry about the 8% until you come to file N1, or moneyclaim. Then come back here and ask for help! - simple.

Good luck! (Fomr one nervous but full of bravado to another)

A lot of people become confused when they get to the interest, myself included,

there are a few options, the option i chose was to add the interest on to each charge at 8%. Easy, the interest is only added once you have issued the claim, online or in person good luck.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

Thanks for your reply, I must be stupid, I 'live' from my overdraft really, and I have just dug out an old statement, to claim the interest do you mean at the end of the statement, where it says 'overdraft interest' then 'total charges'. Does that mean this charge only goes on if you exceed your o/d limit, or is it for having the o/d????? Then again that wouldn't be fair as I pay that stupid account fee, for having an o/d???? OH, NO I AM RREALLY GETTING CONFUSED!!!! I thought I had it worked out from days of reading other threads and the FAQ's.... And the spreadsheets, well I had a look at them before, how the heck do you do that, my charges are all from going over my o/d, do you just put your own details in, and I think I know now that you don't put in the 8% column, that is for later on, isn't it??? Well, I would be very grateful for anyone that could break all of this down for me, many thanks in advance,,

You're not having a good time with this are you! Well with the help of us all here you'll get there.

First of all, get yourself a cuppa of whatever non alcoholic beverage you want, a ruler, a highlighting pen and open the envelopes containing the statements. Now down to the serious business.

I think I can safely say that not many claimants actually claim for the Interest Charges which appear in the statements. I didn't, because in my case it didn't add up to much.

If you are happy not to, that's fine. It makes it easier. If you still want to claim THAT interest, then I am not able to help you through that part, maybe someone else can.

When I trawled through the statements, I searched for charges entitled PAID REFERRAL and UNPAID OUT. It depends how long you've had the account for but under "Paid Referrals", they range from £20 in 2001 to £25 and to £30 now. Because they ended in a 5 or a 0, I found it easy as a double check by looking for the wording first then on my second pass, the numbers 20, 25 or 30. I found one that I'd missed the first time round.

Unpaids out are either £30 in 2002 or the current level of £35.

Once you've highlighted them all, you are now ready to enter them on the spreadsheet which you can find at:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/182-interest-calculation-spreadsheets.html .

Scroll down to Bank Accounts - Simple - Excel and click to open it. (I'm assuming here that you have Microsoft Excel installed on your computer). If you don't, someone else will have to help you here as I do not have the other programs installed on my PC.

If you do have Excel, edit the details in Rows 2 to 7 to reflect your own situation.

You need to delete columns E (Days since Offence) and F Interest @ 8%) in Row 8 by left clicking in box 8F, hold down the left button to highlight both columns all the way down to ROW 120. The spreadsheet will not now calculate and add the 8% interest. That comes in four weeks time and I explain how to do this at the end of this post.

To fill in your charges you now need to go to Row 9 column B where it says "UNPAID CHQ CHARGE". Click once on that box and type whatever Charge you need - "Paid Referral" or "Unpaids out" (It over-writes the existing text). Now press the right arrow which takes you to the next box - amount. Just type in the number 20, 25 or 30 whichever applies, no need to type the £ sign, it does it automatically. Right arrow again to the date and enter the date in the same format as is there now with the / sign between the figures. Follow that procedure until you have entered all your charges.

If there are still any rows filled below your last entry, then delete in the same way as you deleted Columns E and F earlier. Don't delete the row which has your total at the very bottom.

It helps if you have someone with you to check the entries you've made. You read out what you've typed and get the other person to read the statements at the same time.

Now, once you're happy, "save as" that page. I named it "Interest minus 8" and opened a dedicated folder on my desktop and saved it there. Now close the program.

What I did then was to go back to the page where I got the spreadsheet from and opened a new one, this time not deleting the "Days since offence" and "Interest @ 8%" column. I then cut and pasted all the information from the first spreadsheet which I saved as "Interest minus 8%" into the corresponding area in the new page, deleted the entries below it as earlier described then it gave me a grand total PLUS what it was including the 8%. I saved this as "Interest plus 8". This will come in handy in a months' time. Every time you open this last page, the Interest Total will be recalculated every day.

This is a bit of a long winded posting but hope this helps you and anyone else reading your thread and who are about to embark on the journey.

To follow my case progress, click here to see where I'm at right now.

Welshman

Not wanting to confuse things, but here is another way to deal with the "Days since offence" and "Interest @ 8%" columns;

either;

1. select the rest of the colums, right down to the bottom, then in the 'File' menu go to 'Print Area' and click on 'Set Print Area' - then when you print out your spreadsheet it'll print without the statutory interest columns. Later, at the court claim stage, you can reset the print area of course,

or;

2. select the "Days since offence" and "Interest @ 8%" columns and change the font colour to white - so that it prints invisible - for your initial printout, and then change the colour back to black when you go to court.

Victimnomore

By day, quiet unassuming bank customer - but, by night, .. .. .. .. ..

Barclays Case1

14/03/07 **WON** FULL settlement £3358.39

Barclays Case2

08/09/08 Prelim: please give me my £187.91 back.

Halifax Case1

14/03/07 **WON** Refunded £728 (including £54 costs)

Halifax Case2

08/09/08 Prelim: please give me my £268.24 back.

• 4 weeks later...

this sounds terrible, I have had a thread going for quite some time,and I haven't a clue of how to get back on to it! I have my bank statements for the past six years, but I am really struggling with the prelim spreadsheet,do you really have to enter,how many days since each charge was???:eek: I have 'looked' at the basic customer of banking sheet,that is all I really need!! I know at this stage that you do not enter the 8%,that to me is a bonus,that I know!!Can anyone help, I have been determined to do this for ages,but,I have to admit I need some guidance, I will be very grateful for any help received....:)

savingmoneynovice, when you enter the date of the charge, the spreadsheet will calculate how many days since the charge. You just keep that later for when you go to court and will need the 8%. For now, you're just calculating a record of charges etc

Harrycrumb, it's in the bank templates library.

HTH