Breastfeeding laws..

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5237 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I just wanted clarification on breastfeeding laws. Basically, from what I understand, it's perfectly legal to breastfeed your baby anywhere public. I also understand that it's an illegal act to ask someone to stop breastfeeding in public, and comes under maternal discrimination if the baby is under 6 months old, and sexual discrimination if the baby is over 6 months old.

Does anybody have any links or section quotes for these laws?

The reason behind it is because facebook see fit to delete photos of mothers breastfeeding their babies. Yet apparently it's perfectly fine to post pictures of 15 year old girls in skimpy bikinis, or women wearing next to nothing.

I've e-mailed facebook:

"Your terms state: "We strive to create a global community with consistent standards for everyone, but we also strive to respect local laws. The following provisions apply to users outside the United States"

In the UK, it is an illegal act to discriminate against a breastfeeing mother in any way. Removing breastfeeding photos on facebook when there isn't even any part of the nipple showing, is considered discrimination.

By doing this, facebook is in breach of it's own terms, and I quote:

"Protecting Other People's Rights

We respect other people's rights, and expect you to do the same."

I strongly advise that you allow all photos of breastfeeding, if only in order to promote the healthiest and most natural way to feed a child."

If I have been helpful in any way, please tip my scales :lol:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only in Scotland. The law has not been extended to the remainder of the UK as yet. Breastfeeding etc. (Scotland) Act 2005 (asp 1)

Harriet Harmen fought this through her equality bill, for England and Wales as it was instigated that breastfeeding broke the laws of public decency, however it was decided that there is no law which prohibits a woman to breastfeed in public, although England and Wales have no law which is specific to making the prevention of public breastfeeding illegal, and the equality bill has not yet received Royal Assent, but it can be classified as discrimination under the sex discrimination act http://www.babiesnappies.co.uk/2008/07/20/breastfeeding-in-public-the-laws-made-clear/

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Why would you want to post pictures of breastfeeding women?

I'm sure my Mrs and most of the women I know would hate the idea

My thoughts too, theres a big difference between being allowed to breastfeed in public and posting pics on facebook, surely its purely upto Facebook to allow or dis-allow such pictures.

I didnt think it was illegal to tell someone to stop breastfeeding. (I see Erika has clarified this)

There was TV prog recently about nudity in public and I think it pointed out that actually being naked or partially dressed in public wasnt actually illegal, it was wether someone (or someone was likely to) take offence at you being naked.

Andy

Facebook can do as they like; websites are free to dictate their own content. For example, one of the great British rights is said to be the freedom of expression. Yet that does not mean that people can post what they like on an internet forum. If a post is potentially libellious or offensive to another individual whomever is responsible for running or assisting in the running of the website has to weigh up the pros and cons of the post, if it is offensive, and if it is potentially libellious, removing it would be the most sensible. For CAG, this is clearly stated in the forum rules, in other websites it is probably there in the terms and conditions also.

When all is said and done, you have a choice whether you wish to participate in a particular Social Networking site, and if you don't like the terms, you do not have to participate.

I am very pro breastfeeding, and although I don't agree with facebook's principles in regard to breastfeeding, I do as a member respect their right to host the content that they deem suitable, taking into account the feelings of others.

One of the most frustrating area of law is that sometimes, a law can directly conflict with another. Whilst the law in Scotland states it is illegal to discriminate against a breastfeeding woman, it may be illegal to show a naked breast (or part thereof) in another part of the world where facebook is prevalent, thus one law is in direct contravention of another, it is more sensible not to allow the content than to allow it. You don't HAVE to post photos of breastfeeding, but other people HAVE to put up with it if they are there. They are not contravening your rights, they are setting their own rules as they have a right to do.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

Why would you want to post pictures of breastfeeding women?

I'm sure my Mrs and most of the women I know would hate the idea

Because it's a beautiful and natural thing, and certainly for me, a huge part of my life, my job as a breastfeeding councillor, and my son's welbeing.

My thoughts too, theres a big difference between being allowed to breastfeed in public and posting pics on facebook, surely its purely upto Facebook to allow or dis-allow such pictures.

I didnt think it was illegal to tell someone to stop breastfeeding. (I see Erika has clarified this)

There was TV prog recently about nudity in public and I think it pointed out that actually being naked or partially dressed in public wasnt actually illegal, it was wether someone (or someone was likely to) take offence at you being naked.

Andy

But it's not nudity - you don't even see any breast - it's immensly different to streaking or mooning - it's feeding a child!!

Isn't it also a very personal thing? A bond between you and your child.

I have no problem with anyone breastfeeding anywhere, but to post on facebook where all and sundry can see it. I'm not so sure social networking sites are the right place to post pics.

I also agree that they shouldn't allow pics of teenagers wearing next to nothing.

I guess my point is, that breastfeeding is normal. It is an every day natural thing - yet facebook actually deem it to be 'obscene' so I, and thousands of others, are fighting this, as it's is wrong to inflict that view upon people.

Breastfeeding is normal, yet Womens' breasts have become a symbol of sex. They are used to sell everything from cars to clothes to beer....they have been deemed obscene, sexually explicit and indecent for view by Facebook. Ironic, isn't it? that in the context of sex, we are inundated with images everywhere we look of womens' breasts as commodity, but see practically no examples of them shown in the normal context of breastfeeding. Why is is?

So, facebook is effectively supporting this concept - that 'breasts are sex symbols' - and we want to stop that.

Isn't it also a very personal thing? A bond between you and your child.

I have no problem with anyone breastfeeding anywhere, but to post on facebook where all and sundry can see it. I'm not so sure social networking sites are the right place to post pics.

I also agree that they shouldn't allow pics of teenagers wearing next to nothing.

Would you see bottle feeding as a personal thing between mother and child? Would you question a photo of a baby being bottle fed put on facebook?

Because it's a beautiful and natural thing, and certainly for me, a huge part of my life, my job as a breastfeeding councillor, and my son's welbeing.
Would you be saying the same thing if you were a gastroenterologist discussing going to the loo?

Saying that it is beautiful is entirely subjective.

I guess my point is, that breastfeeding is normal. It is an every day natural thing

You could argue that for lots of things - if Facebook used that as a criteria for deciding what to allow on their site there would undoubtedly be lots of things that people wouldn't want to see!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I suppose another way of putting it is it would be considered by many people to be indecent to have pictures of people simulating intercourse, yet the intended purpose of the act of intercourse is conception, which again is a beautiful and natural thing.

When I was breatfeeding, I saw it as a two way street. I was aware some people would find it offensive and whilst I disagree with their view, that doesn't make their view any less valid than my view. Therefore I would be very discreet about my feeding. I was not ashamed of it but I didn't see a need to flaunt it either. The only time I argued blatantly about it was in the maternity ward when the midwife tried to close the curtain around my bed because I was feeding. I asked why the need to shut the curtain and her reply was that she thought I would want privacy. I said I wasn't doing anything "private" and she then admitted it was because it may make visitors uncomfortable. My answer was simple: it is a maternity ward; breastfeeding should be expected on a maternity ward and if people didn't like it, then they could go to the family room for their visit. The ward is for patients which are the mothers and babies, and I was not having myself or my baby hidden behind any curtain because we were doing something which though deemed "best for baby" and supported by the NHS, may cause offence to people who were not receiving care but simply visiting.

However for the like of facebook, it is their site. Their terms and conditions. We as breastfeeding mothers might not like it but the bottom line is they provide the site; we are free to join up as members and are free to cancel our membership. It is not up to us to dictate the content of their site, whether we agree or disagree with it.

Would you be saying the same thing if you were a gastroenterologist discussing going to the loo?

Saying that it is beautiful is entirely subjective.

Are you really comparing feeding a child to doing a poo?

Would you bat an eyelid if you saw a woman feeding a baby with a bottle? No. But you would if you saw someone pooing in the street.

You're totally missing my point and I am incredibly offended that you would compare breastfeeding to opening your bowels.

Are you really comparing feeding a child to doing a poo?
Your implication was that, because it is natural, breastfeeding is beautiful. I drew the comparison to highlight the subjectivity and inherent fallacy of your statement, on which the rest of your argument depended.

Would you bat an eyelid if you saw a woman feeding a baby with a bottle? No. But you would if you saw someone pooing in the street.
I would be shocked and disturbed if I witnessed someone defecating in the the street. I have no problem with breastfeeding in public. How is this relevant to the point that I was making?

You're totally missing my point and
No - I can see the point entirely - the irony is that you missed my point so entirely that you took "incredible offense".

I am incredibly offended that you would compare breastfeeding to opening your bowels.
It's a natural act, is it not?

As I intimated earlier in this post - I have no problem with breastfeeding in public. But not because of some airy notion that it is beautiful and natural. It is what it is - the best way to feed an infant.

It would seem that intolerance to public breastfeeding is childish and based on facile notions of puritanism and "decency", and in need of a healthy dose of growing up.

Your implication was that, because it is natural, breastfeeding is beautiful. I drew the comparison to highlight the subjectivity and inherent fallacy of your statement, on which the rest of your argument depended.

I would be shocked and disturbed if I witnessed someone defecating in the the street. I have no problem with breastfeeding in public. How is this relevant to the point that I was making?

No - I can see the point entirely - the irony is that you missed my point so entirely that you took "incredible offense".

It's a natural act, is it not?

As I intimated earlier in this post - I have no problem with breastfeeding in public. But not because of some airy notion that it is beautiful and natural. It is what it is - the best way to feed an infant.

It would seem that intolerance to public breastfeeding is childish and based on facile notions of puritanism and "decency", and in need of a healthy dose of growing up.

Sorry for flying off the handle. Hormonal, sleep deprived woman here :|

The reason that I, and many others are campaigning to get breastfeeding pictures allowed on facebook is simply because facebook are putting across that it is explicit, when it is not. We just want to get that view changed.

I just don't like having to go through all my photos I am about to upload onto facebook to 'doctor' them to make sure that there are no pictures of my feeding my son, as to me it's just another daily thing, and I like to document the daily things that are part of my growing son's life :)

Sorry for flying off the handle. Hormonal, sleep deprived woman here :|

The reason that I, and many others are campaigning to get breastfeeding pictures allowed on facebook is simply because facebook are putting across that it is explicit, when it is not. We just want to get that view changed.

I just don't like having to go through all my photos I am about to upload onto facebook to 'doctor' them to make sure that there are no pictures of my feeding my son, as to me it's just another daily thing, and I like to document the daily things that are part of my growing son's life :)

Well..as previously pointed out, its FB's site so really its up to them, even if you did organise a campaign, I doubt the actual numbers would amount to much as to bother FB, plus as I'm sure youy are aware, FB is full of such campaigns from the utterly ridiculous to well-meaning.

Also surely self-checking pictures is common sense, Im sure a lot of us have pix on our pones/cameras we wouldnt want the world to see ! Please remember that to a lot of us breastfeeding pics are not the beautiful natural image that you perhaps see them as.

Andy

What makes you think the world wants to see you breastfeeding?

I think it's tacky and exhibitionism.

Try telling that to these people.

Login | Facebook

That is out of order calling it tacky and exhibitionism.