Microsoft SE or Avast Pro????? That is the question.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5263 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have had Avast Pro for some time now (Don't ask me how, but I got it free). I have had no problems with it and am a firm believer of "If it's not broke, don't fix it". Is there any reason I should get rid of Avast and install Microsoft Security Essentials?

I had never even heard of it until I read a couple of threads here.

Thoughts please.:confused:

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

As long as you're keeping Avast Pro updated with the latest releases, I'd be inclined to stick with what you have.

Ostensibly, both programs do the same thing, and both do it well, but Avast also does boot scans (which SE currently doesn't), and is a little more robust in its realtime protection and scans, so you're a little more protected with Avast.

I personally choose to run AVG rather than SE on the Windows part of my main system, partly because SE simply doesn't - as yet - have strong or extensive enough protection for my liking, and - less importantly - because I find SE cosmetically clunky for my tastes.

But as you say; if your choice of protection isn't broken (i.e. if it's doing its job well), there's little reason to change.

Edited by Tezcatlipoca

If you are worried, you can also run HouseCall - Free Virus Scan (it is web based with a small download.)

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

As long as you're keeping Avast Pro updated with the latest releases, I'd be inclined to stick with what you have.

Ostensibly, both programs do the same thing, and both do it well, but Avast also does boot scans (which SE currently doesn't), and is a little more robust in its realtime protection and scans, so you're a little more protected with Avast.

Agree with that. I use Avast (free edition) and have found it very good at what it does. I did run AVG for a while but got fed up with the false positves it gave.

Couple it with anti-malware/spyware software (such as spybot SD and/or Malware bytes) and a decent firewall (can't go past Zonealarm Firewall free IMV) and you have a reasonably well protected system.

Obviously you need to update your definitions (on the above) and scan your PC as well. Both activities need to be done regularly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------