Argos – replacement or refund

ConsumerNotANumba
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5290 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone! I bought a 42" Acoustic Solutions LCD TV from Argos last year and it developed a fault with the sound.

It's within 1 year warranty and Argos sent an engineer to my house and he has given me a letter saying that the PCB board needs replacing and that it's too expensive to repair, so I should take it back to Argos for a REPLACEMENT. (that's what it says on the letter, replacement not REFUND).

Now then, I went back to Argos with the letter and said before I bring the TV back I'd like to know what TV they intend to replace it with. I was told they'd just refund me and I can pick another instore.

Thing is I paid £449 for the TV just after Christmas last year. The TV had already been reduced from £579 and apart from the sound problem has been a really good TV.

There's nothing in Argos at the moment that even comes close to that for £449.

Where do I stand? Can I demand a like-for-like replacement? I assume that legally they are only obliged to give me a refund for what I paid, but if that is the case then surely I should receive a CASH refund not store credit so I am free to source the best deal myself elsewhere.

I'd really appreciate any advice and suggestions.

Thanks.

Do you still have your receipt or proof of purchase for the goods? If its not possible to have a replacement they should refund it in the same way you paid. If this is store credit than you will be refunded as store credit, if you paid on card then it should be refunded via this way.

Just take the same argument you have here to the store manager.

As a note an engineer can in no way authorise a refund, so will only show a replacement anyway. You can also try phoning Argos Customer Services and go down the like for like argument, or "cash" refund option

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Argos will generally replace the product for the exact or similar model - as the exact model is in store still you should still recieve this one at no extra cost as there is a fault with it.

Under SOGA they have to repair or replace it they do not have to honour a refund - but your lucky to even get offered a replacement - most companies who sell LCD Tv's prefers us to pay for the repairs rather than them repairing or replacing at their cost !

If the exact same model was instore then I wouldn't have a problem. There's a Bush one or Alba one for £499. Fifty quid more than what I paid and I don't fancy either of those brands.

I paid by debit card so you think they should be able to re credit the card. If that's the case then I'd be pleased to take that and go elsewhere.

I just want to know if I am within my rights to refuse their 'store credit' and demand either a like-for-like replacement (which I guess would be the more expensive Bush or Alba models) or a cash refund.

In a legality point of view you can refuse store credit, as the product cannot be replaced or refunded. This would require you to 'rescind' the contract, however Argos are fully within there right to offer you what is called a partial refund which takes into account use for the refund amount.

Your best bet really is to call up customer services and see what they say.

Otherwise I know it doesn't help out before xmas, however the catalogue ends on 22/01/10 as well as after xmas sales, in which I would hope tvs would be cheaper. Also I am more than happy if you provide me with your previous tv specs to see what I can find.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Hello, i bought an xbox 360 from argos on the 7th of april 2009. The xbox has become faulty so i went to a store and was given a number to ring. this number was for microsoft to have it repaired. as i dont want the xbox to go to germany to be repaired i phoned argos to ask them that because there is a 1 year guarantee could they repair or replace the product. but im being told to deal with it with microsoft, but i have looked up some consumer rights and it states that. " the trader should accept liability for any problems under the contract and dont be fobbed off by a trader who tells you to take it out with the manufacturer, only when you buy goods directly from the manufacturer is your contract with them." i have told argos this but they will not do anything. it also states on argos website that if argos (we) cannot repair they will replace and if they cant replace then they offer a refund. i dont understand how they want me to use the manufacturer warranty when i still have a guarantee with argos.

Its not Argos trying to fob you off to microsoft, you still have your consumer rights. However the company and even myself as an avid gamer see it as a more viable option to you the consumer to go through microsoft's repair service. This is also preferred by microsoft.

Your not taking it out on the manufacturer per-say, that is just the repairs service we use. If you are really adamant on having the store deal with it take it into store and tell them that you want them to send it of for repair, as per your statutory rights.

As a note Microsoft offer a 3 year warranty for any Ring of Death fault, and shipping charges are free within microsofts warranties. By dealing with microsoft directly, especially under the guidance of Argos your statutory rights are NOT affected.

Microsoft and Vax (another company which asks that you deal with them and not the retailer) are two of the best companies regarding their own product warranties, and I have no regrets in advising to go through there repair services.

As a note its not your choice as a consumer where the product gets repaired, it is still the most cost effective solution to the retailer and therefore the only one open to you at this time.

but why use microsoft when i have a year with argos? they cant repair it coz they will void my microsoft warranty, like it says on the webite that we [argos] will repair it. if not then they will replace or refund. so they cant repair it so i should have a replacement or refund.

If the exact same model was instore then I wouldn't have a problem. There's a Bush one or Alba one for £499. Fifty quid more than what I paid and I don't fancy either of those brands.

I paid by debit card so you think they should be able to re credit the card. If that's the case then I'd be pleased to take that and go elsewhere.

I just want to know if I am within my rights to refuse their 'store credit' and demand either a like-for-like replacement (which I guess would be the more expensive Bush or Alba models) or a cash refund.

You are absolutely within your rights to refuse the store credit if it is the result of a fault, which this is, yes.

If they can't provide you with a satisfactory replacement, the you are entitled to a refund, and I disagree they could deduct a certain amount for usage on a TV which is less than 1 yr old.

Personally, I would insist on either a TV of identical specs (not price!) or a full refund to card.

but why use microsoft when i have a year with argos? they cant repair it coz they will void my microsoft warranty, like it says on the webite that we [argos] will repair it. if not then they will replace or refund. so they cant repair it so i should have a replacement or refund.

Argos will send it off to microsoft, exactly the same thing you would do. This would not void your warranty in anyway with either company. As the product can be repaired. Argos use repair agents to repair products which are approved by the manufacturers, it would also not matter if the retailer does void the manufacturers warranty as you are still covered by the Sales of Goods act 1979.

In short, and this is an unbiased view completely, Argos have offered what they are required to by law. If you want Argos to send it off to Microsoft themselves then you are within your rights to do so. It is however more simple, and why it is suggested to go via microsoft yourself, as they hate dealing with retailers. Argos therefore do not need to offer or accept a request for a refund or replacement of the product at this time.

You are absolutely within your rights to refuse the store credit if it is the result of a fault, which this is, yes.

If they can't provide you with a satisfactory replacement, the you are entitled to a refund, and I disagree they could deduct a certain amount for usage on a TV which is less than 1 yr old.

Personally, I would insist on either a TV of identical specs (not price!) or a full refund to card.

Most managers would never do a partial refund especially within a year, just mentioning whats put in the SGA under rescind of contract.

I do and have posted above believe that the OP should receive a full refund to card.