TV licencing - the enforcers never turn up!

qwertyjjj
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5216 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just to add to the bubble-bursting.... they do visit.

I had a chap around here when I first moved into my house about 13 years ago. He seemed very nice and accepted that I'd just moved in and hadn't got the licence sorted out yet... I was honest. He asked me how long I'd lived here and I told him. He then noted the date and I was expected to pay for a backdated licence through the post to cover the time where I'd not had one.... which I did.

No probs.... but I was lucky.... ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I totally forgot I was going to sort this out. I had more priority bills to sort out.

Anyway guess who turned up again. :rolleyes:

I told him I would sort it out myself that day. He was so red I thought his head would burst. He tried to put his foot inside the door, and demanded I pay him and no one else. Said he wasn't leaving until I set up a DD with him there and then. Said "the next guy wouldn't be as nice as him!" This guy is a big guy and looked bad enough. I could see how some one could feel threatened by him.

It made it worse when I said I would send him out a coffee later that day as it will be cold sitting in his car all day. :D

Again I said I would deal with it. He said it was far too late for that, and the tv people won't accept payment from me. The only way to pay, was through him.

I shut the door and true to his word he sat in his car. I got on line and sorted out my license within 2 mins. Payment went through and my new license was there straight away. Obviously I didn't tell the clown in the car.

No idea how long he sat there, I got bored watching him. He knocked back a couple of hours later. I think he was going to explode once I said I had sorted it..without him! :lol:

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

i had similar once even though we did have a licence so I made a formal complaint, ( mind you i did wind the twit right up about my TV transmiter I use and that I was speaking to people all over the world on radio, he was demanding to see licences for ther kit, told him he had no legal right to , was not his departments concern being a Ham I can transmitt TV legally ) twit went to talk to a neighbour telling them we didnt have a licence , I had them over the barrel with the DPA, outcome was we are sorry it was a computer glitch, and the compo = 1 years licence ,, :)

NEVER FORGET

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Help Our Hero's Website

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

HIGHWAY OF HEROES

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/181826-last-tribute-our-lads.html

Like Cooking ? check the Halogen Cooker thread

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/218990-cooking-halogen-cookers.html

Weather you agree with it or not, the law is the law, fortunately in this country you dont get the choice to abide by a law or not.

If you knowingly break the law, then you deserve to be dealt with accoridngly.

Simple as that. There are a lot of laws I dont agree with, but I try my best not to break them, and if I do so knowingly, then I hold my hands up and take the punishment.

Well done SSL :)

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 2 weeks later...

I was told that if I refuse to let the tv people in my house that it is an implied guilty plea:confused:

Have my own thread on the problem with them so far. Just surely the statement in itself is harassment to those who just dont want to reknew a license as not using live tv.

No - I wouldn't say that. However if you did not demonstrate to them that you had no recieving equipment in the house, the expectation would be that you have something to hide. By telling them to push off and get a warrant will seldom result in a return visit with one, as forewarned, only a fool would keep a TV on the premises then argue that they never watched it. The defender would have to convince a judge they don't watch TV - proving their innocence from a standpoint that they are already guilty.

Harassment has many levels, and what you complain of is pretty low on the scale of things, and certainly not actionable in the way you;d probably want! By not having a tuner to watch live TV, you kill their argument stone dead and have the ultimate protection.

Buzby, then why did the head office of the tvl say different. They said it was my right to have a tv and to choose not to use it for live viewing, that was out of the horses mouth after me complaining about what told previously. I taped the conversations. She also told me I have a right to deny them access to my house. My license isnt even up till end may I was just trying to inform them in advance that I will not use live tv from there. They at first took a very aggressive attitude and said see you in court. It shouldnt be implied that everyone who doesnt want to continue using their tv for live input should be denied from using it for dvd etc.... sand also what in the future if I decided to use it live again, I have the right to ring them and buy a license then, I shouldnt have to buy a new telly and waste another.

Appreciate your input as the tvlicensing people contradict themselves.

I aksed does the tv in itself need disabling and was told no just not have sattelite box.

Things you need to remember. The BBC employ TVL to ensure they collect revenue to allow them to make programmes (and the rest). In order to do this, Acts of Parliament were created to stipulate the requirements and burdens placed on those requiring a 'Broadcast Recieving Licence'.

It doesn;t matter WHAT the BBC/TVL say, their information is meant to be 'helpful' and 'guide' users... to BUY a licence. However if you choose not to - then the final arbiter in what will be a Criminal action, is what the Communications Act states - NOT what BBC/TVL say in their leaflets or on the phone if you enquire.

The rules have been rewritten several times, the latest being in 2000, where the concept of non-live transmissions were finally made exempt. Providing you did not watch on a device (TV, PC, cable box, satellite reciever, mobile phone, Xbox or whatever as 'live' then no licence is required.

So, since BOTH a TV and Satellite box are capable of recieving these transmissions live (within 5 minutes of a standard terrestrial transmission) then they need to be licenced. A DVD player would not, but a recorder would. A PC that only watches iPlayer doesn;t need a licence, but if you watch streamed BBC/ITV content of the main channels, you do.

Thanks buzby that confirms I do not need a licence from june:D

Satelite box going, outiside aerial already snipped, ntl cabel connection disconected by them years ago, funny enough they were just as bad, where I am they kept comming around every year asking was it being used and wouldnt go untill they had prodded the connector. I was fitter then and more able to allow people in, but as of now I get nervous about the eon man in huge red uniform, though hope he comes back when kids here. Its just the implied guilty, I thought we were all innocent untill found guilty, but just in case have hastle, will leave the security cameras on recording on a loop, can always prove previous viewing was either tape or iplayer if they want to be silly and make my day in court.:D Seriously they just cant accept that the telly is carp nowadays and more cant be bothered, thanks .

Further to own thread, 'enforcers DO turn up', 17 years when i was pregnant with said 16 year old, I was prosecuted for STORING a colour telly for my friend which I was keeping as a surprise present for her sons birthday.

An enforcement officer called at my address and I showed him the black and white (nowadays monochrome!) licence for my own black and white TV.

The colour telly was in an un-opened box in my hallway and I had then in my innocence and stupidity allowed him in.

I explained about said colour telly and he even inspected the box which was clearly Un-opened. It had not been delivered to my address.

Recieved a summons a few weeks later and got a fine which my friend paid.

Seems nothing changes