Dogs - Kennel Cough Vaccine

Jan4a
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5310 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

Does anyone know anything about above?

My parents have a rescue border collie x breed. Her boosters are now due and the RSPCA did give her the kennel cough vaccine as well last year.

I'm wondering whether she should have this as I vaguely remember someone saying their vet had told them not to bother but I can't remember why. Not sure if it was because of side effects.

She is a very sociable dog and has lots of doggie friends she plays with on her walks on the fields so does come into contact with lots of other dogs.

I'm veering towards having everything done - according to our local paper Parvo virus is becoming common again as people can't afford the vaccs which is very worrying! Not sure how common kennel cough is or how it is spread.

Any advice appreciated!

Jan

Hi Jan

I have been told by my freind who has a borde collie from the rescue centre, that if it has been done at the centre its not neseccary to have a booster, unless you are going to put her in to Kennells.

Apparently its not very nice for them it can, make them quite sick, and its is painfull.

I have no experiance, but I do have a Westie, and we were going to put into Kennels for a few days, they told me that he would need a Kennel Cough injection before they would take him in. She also said it was painful. Decided to arrange formy Westie to be Doggy sat in his own home. Much happer.

Bottom line is I would,nt bother unless you are going to put him in Kennels or going abroad.

Regards Lynn

Thanks for that.

No, she won't be going into kennels - it would be cruel because she'd think she was back at the RSPCA as they boarded her at the local kennels.

So, we won't bother. :)

I thought the bordetella vaccine was an intranasal rather than an injection. It's a vaccine that the vet has to be very careful with as it's a zoonotic disease and I guess a live vaccine. I shouldn't think it's essential unless the animal is going into boarding kennels.

It is nasal, and I should think unpleasant rather than painful. Think what it feels like when you whack those nasal sprays up there the first time! But they'll get over it if you decide to vaccinate.

I haven't had Taz vaccinated because he got it within 4 weeks of me picking him up from the rescue centre. The vet said don't bother unless I'm going to board him. About 7 days later all the local dogs were coughing and wretching as they went up and down the road with their owners!

Taz started by clearing his throat, being generally out of sorts and frantically eating grass to make himself vomit. It was a good 14 days before he was well again, but he soon got over it.

I would imagine that elderly dogs, dogs with underlying illnesses etc could seriously be affected if they caught it, like some of the unlucky kids who get measles chicken pox with side effects etc.

Nothing to worry about car nut, if the dog has to be vaccinated, so be it, they get over it - its us humans who feel bad! This is a common illness which spreads like wild fire, it makes them feel quite rough, and the coughing can be quite unpleasant to watch (and clear up after!). But generally, they are fine afterwards, probably because us owners have fretted, sweated and spoilt them over it!

Have a word with your vet about his opinion on it.

Hi Car Nut

I was confused about it which is why I asked.

It seems to be that kennels won't accept dogs unless they've had the vaccination, and I think they have to have it at least a week before they go into kennels for it to take effect. They probably have to insist on it so that people can't sue them if their dogs catch it whilst in kennels, plus it would spread like wildfire in a kennel situation,

As Jackieandwayne say, its unpleasant for the dog but not painful. I'm a bit undecided about parents dog having it, she's not going into kennels but she does play with lots of dogs so might still be vulnerable. I think we will ask vet what he thinks. He will know if there have been a lot of cases locally.

I think someone said it costs around £15 (that's in Manchester, I believe from reading the insurance reviews that vets fees vary around the country).

Jan

Hi all

SOOOOOO SOOO SORRY, you are all correct it is administered by nasel,

shows I was,nt listening properly to my freind.

Its a good job you folks are with it, apologies to Jan 4a, however, it is't nice for them, thank goodness we have posts like this, shows that when a mistake is made, someone will know the correct info.

Apologies again, It's unual for me to get things wrong , but we eventually got to the bottom of it thank goodness.

Lynn

x