1st Halifax offer - help please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6501 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have received a letter from the Halifax today offering me £178.00 as a 'gesture of goodwill' (first gesture of goodwill I've ever received from the bank!) by way of full and final settlement. They state that they are also reserving the right to close my account if I don't manage it correctly.

Does this mean that they intend to close my account if I persue this matter?

I understand that the correct thing to do it to accept the offer as a partial settlement and inform them that I still intend to persue the rest of the charges in court. Can I do this in the LBA? or do I need to write a seperate letter?

I feel the urge to respond to a couple of parts of the letter. Firstly they outline that there are costs involved in paying items/returning items unpaid (mine being in the main part the latter, where they haven't paid them at all.) and they feel the cost's should be passed onto me and not absorbed into other parts of their operation. Then they tell me they are unable to comply with my request outlining how they calculate, these costs. Apparantly it is commercially sensitive information!!! Is this a license to charge what you want? £39.00's worth of charges per item per day to a maximum of 3 charges a day is £117.00.

I'm sure that would pay a bank clerks wages for over a day. Would it really take a clerk all day to perform this action? This is an issue I have always felt strongly about but felt I could do nothing about. This actiongroup is giving me the confidence I need to persue my claim. I feel perfectly justified in pursuing this to the courts, should I need to. My LBA is due to go out tomorrow. It is ready to go but if I need to twik it to add my partial acceptance, I will do.

All advice greatly received.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Sent Data Protection Act Letter 06/06/2007

26/07/2006 Received 33 envelopes containing statements. (33 letters for a fiver .... bargain lol)

:shock:

27/07/2006 Sent Prelim Letter via email to halifax

10/08/2006 Received Halifax letter offering me £178.00 (goodwill gesture):rolleyes:

26/07/2006 Received 33 envelopes containing statements. (33 letters for a fiver .... bargain lol)

:o

10/08/2006 Received Halifax letter offering me £178.00 (goodwill gesture):rolleyes:

11/08/2006 Sent LBA letter out excepting goodwill gesture but not as final settlement. Persuing the rest in court.

01/09/2006 Taken the claim to County Court.

05/06/2006 Claim sent back by the courts... I hadn't put the court address in the top right hand corner :x Took it back to the court 06/09/2006 won't get issued until tomorrow ........... if I'm in luck!

08/09/2006 Received 2nd offer of £524.00. 09/09/2006 claim is served :D .

13/09/2006 I WON, I WON, I WON. Full monies paid back.

I wrote in my letter that I accepted the offer as a partial settlement but i would be claiming the rest. This was a separte letter however as your LBA is due out tommorow I would just add a paragraph to that. I shouldnt worry about them closing the account as it would be wise to open another account with another bank elsewhere. Personally speaking I would imagine that they are so busy with charges being claimed that they would just file your letter and not give it a second thought to what you have written, however I can't see how it can do any harm, i would just stick to the letters in the forum, its a tried and trusted method.

Good luck

Current Account Halifax

25th May sent Data Protection Act recieved 19th June

20th June Request Charges Letter Sent

29th June £170 offered..

4th July LBA sent

16th July £507 offered

25th July MCOL claimed

30th July Deemed Served

15th August Applied for Judgement

24th August Paid out in full

Read, ReAD READ!!! Its THE Only Way 2Win!!!

Make a 5% donation to the site, Help them to Help You.

Any advice that I may give is only through experience of my own claim.

you could do with opening a parachute account natwest step account is one thats recommended on here though there are others.

As to the goodwill you accept as partial settlement but will be claiming the rest. As far as i can tell from reading the other threads you still need to follow the timescale. If you havent sent the LBA I think you still need to send it so that the courts can see you have tried to settle this correctly. If Im wrong mods hopefully will tell you.

read the faqs again and also the other threads as Im still new at this as well.

I have received a letter from the Halifax today offering me £178.00 as a 'gesture of goodwill' (first gesture of goodwill I've ever received from the bank!) by way of full and final settlement. They state that they are also reserving the right to close my account if I don't manage it correctly.

They say this to everybody

Does this mean that they intend to close my account if I persue this matter?

No it doesn't. What they are saying is that once you have successfuly sued them and received a full refund, they will probably close your account if you incur any more charges.

I understand that the correct thing to do it to accept the offer as a partial settlement and inform them that I still intend to persue the rest of the charges in court. Can I do this in the LBA? or do I need to write a seperate letter?

You can do this in your LBA

I feel the urge to respond to a couple of parts of the letter. Firstly they outline that there are costs involved in paying items/returning items unpaid (mine being in the main part the latter, where they haven't paid them at all.) and they feel the cost's should be passed onto me and not absorbed into other parts of their operation. Then they tell me they are unable to comply with my request outlining how they calculate, these costs. Apparantly it is commercially sensitive information!!! Is this a license to charge what you want? £39.00's worth of charges per item per day to a maximum of 3 charges a day is £117.00.

I'm sure that would pay a bank clerks wages for over a day. Would it really take a clerk all day to perform this action? This is an issue I have always felt strongly about but felt I could do nothing about. This actiongroup is giving me the confidence I need to persue my claim. I feel perfectly justified in pursuing this to the courts, should I need to. My LBA is due to go out tomorrow. It is ready to go but if I need to twik it to add my partial acceptance, I will do.

Don't bother. They won't read it anyway :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help everyone and tinkerbell :)

The LBA was sent last week by registered post. I tried to send the email asking for a receipt on arrival. They don't accept emails that request a receipt.

There's a surprise.

:o

11/08/2006 Sent LBA letter out excepting goodwill gesture but not as final settlement. Persuing the rest in court.

01/09/2006 Taken the claim to County Court.

05/06/2006 Claim sent back by the courts... I hadn't put the court address in the top right hand corner :x Took it back to the court 06/09/2006 won't get issued until tomorrow ........... if I'm in luck!

08/09/2006 Received 2nd offer of £524.00. 09/09/2006 claim is served :D .

13/09/2006 I WON, I WON, I WON. Full monies paid back.