help regarding maternity leave

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5455 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi im hoping some one can help me.my sister gave her notice to her employer for her maternity leave and it should be her last day tomorrow,but her boss asked her to do an extra 3 wks and she doesnt really want to but her boss has told her if she doesnt he will not keep her job open for her when she wishes to return to work.is there anything she cn do as she does not have a contract she was never given one to sign when she started but she is on the payroll.

How long has she been employed by this employer?

Does she pay National Insurance contributions?

How long has she got before the baby is due?

No one could advise you without the above information!

regardless of whether she has signed a contract, she is still an employee and has proof of this (being on the payrol). as long as she gave sufficient notice of when she was going to start her leave then her employer cant make her stay on longer. failing to keep her job open would be classed as sexual discrimination.

just checked dates and she wont be 29 weeks untill 25th june so she cant start her leave untill then, unless shes taking holiday 1st

Without checking your dates right now, this sounds right.

An employee has no right to commence mat leave earlier than the beginning of the 11th week before the EWC.

Certain exemptions do apply e.g. earlybirths etc, but I won't go into detail, as if they apply to her, it is likely that her job will be the last of her worries.

Hope she has a safe, succesful and happy pregnancy.

Any more problems do come back, as you don't get a more 'protected' employee, (from an employment law perspective) than one which is pregnant.

Che

...................................................................... [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Please post on a thread before sending a PM. My opinion's are not expressed as agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. Always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS] I am sorry that work means I don't get into the Employment Forum as often as I would like these days, but nonetheless I'll try to pop in when I can.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Red]'Venceremos' :wink:[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]