A 'Pets & Vets' forum?

The Chez
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5191 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

say anyone had experience of dogs with cushings disease?. my chi X jack russell boy has had a huge belly for a couple of years (looks worse with the little chi head and legs). first they said it was bladder stones- out they came and still big belly so then the vet said he was just grosley fat. then they said pancreatitis then diabetis now hes going bald and they say cushings. But hes had two negative tests and hes going tomorrow and I have insurance but the deductables are killing me

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that Diabetic dogs are prone to Cushing's Disease(Hyperadrenocorticism). As an owner of a diabetic dog, we have been told ourselves to look out for any changes like a pot-belly and balding. It is treatable with medication or surgery.

Thanks thats good to know, but i didnt know diabetis and abnormal pancreatic emzymes were a sign of cushings. So maybe if he has the disease and its treated his diabetis may be easier to control- his sugars are wild.

Hi Cassie

Sorry I've not been on for a few days - problems with broadband since all the snow and my dongle is useless!!

Anyway, your dog is gorgeous and I am really happy for you!

Kiptower - that picture on the chair is adorable! And yes, they are good at milking it :)

I soooooooo wish I could have a dog but I can't as when I eventually get a job I will be out all day, so I have to settle for cats - I did get one of the biggest cat breeds I could find though, Norwegian Forests. At least I can walk my parents dog though - she loved the snow.

Jan

frankieg - It maybe that the cushing's is interfering with his BS, our pooch has just come out of a 'heat' and her's went haywire, and she also had cystitis which we are struggling to overcoe with her, and its making her sick therefore we have days where we have to forgo the insulin.

Remember HIGH sugars are better than LOW, and that Cushing is curable via medication or surgery.

Good luck and hope your poochie is OK.

thanks so is there a possiability that the diabetis will come underr control if the cushings is treated? jacks sugars are all over the place right now! And so far he's had two tests - pituatory and adrenal both normal so if he has it its something called 'a typical cushings' which seems to be abnormal sex hormones- but Jack was neutered 5 year ago. Is you baby improving yet?

Frankieg - My pup isnt very well at all to be honest, I was up all last night with her vomiting, got her to see the Vet 1st thing today, and she was given anti-sickness injection, she cant even keep water down, lethargic and very unstable.

I have more antisickness meds to give her at 9pm, but also have the vet's home number for an emergency!!

Due to ehr diabetes as well, as she isnt eating, we cant give her the insulin, therefore her BS is sky high and there is a very high chance of hyperglycemia!!

+

so sorry you must be frantic and you must feel so helpless.any idea whats causing it? But please call the vet if your at all worried. maybe he will admit her give her a drip and put something through it for her nausia.

Just back from the emergency vets, She has been admitted with Ketoacidosis, which my own vet did not pick up this morning. So as you can imagine I am frantic with worry, as they are not sure how far along it is. It is treatable if caught in time.

So on Monday morning I shall be going along to my vets and talking to the owner, as it was one of the partners that saw her, and he missed it. Now considering she is diabetic and showed all the signs, surely he should have realised it wasnt just a 'bug'.

We are now talking about a £600.00 vet bill, that I can ill afford, but will find the money.

Just called the vet where she is at, and there is not much improvement, her blood sugars are so high they are not registering on the meter, and they have detected a possible uterine infection!

I have to call back at 11pm, so right now Im restless, worried and feel sick :(

When my cousin who is diabetic does this, a couple of hours can make a big difference.-talking people here but dogs cant be that different. Now its possiable she wasnt ketonic when the vet saw her this morning but being as she was vomiting and a diabetic they should have done more to prevent the ketosis- and my vet says even if jack dosent eat he needs a tiny bit of insulin.. I think they dropped the ball badlly and shouldnt make you pay for their mistake.

Yes you would think that with a diabetic dog/person who is feeling unwell a basic blood sugar test could rule out a lot of things!!

The vets called a few minutes ago and she is finally starting to stabilise, and her bloods are dropping slowly.

I know it will be a long haul getting her back to near normal, but who cares, as long as I still have her.

I'm sorry I missed this latest episode yesterday!

I'm APALLED that the vet didn't check for ketones in a vomiting diabetic dog. A simple urine test would have shown it up. You really do need to take this up with them. Well done though for acting quickly and taking her back.

Hope the poor dog is progressing, and I agree you shouldn't be made to pay for any treatment resulting from what, to me, was their negligence.

For your own peace of mind and future reference, I'd get hold of some urine testing sticks which will show up high glucose or ketones within minutes and show which way the diabetes is swinging if she's unwell.

I hope admin will allow this link for online urinalysis supplies:

http://www.medisupplies.co.uk/acatalog/info_PMC0352.html

Elsa xx

We have just gotten her back and she is a lot better, unfortunately we had to pay the whole bill to get her home, but have an appointment with our usual vet tomorrow and Im making a major complaint against the other vet.

My usual vet is brilliant, but he has a part-timer who works for him covering Sat mornings, and he doesnt have a clue. In my opinion he should be retired!!

Its now late and so far she has eaten all her tea, and some fortified cereal we got from the vet and has literally pushed 2 of the cats off the sofa and is sleeping soundly :D

Oh the sweet baby,she sounds as if shes doing very well, you must be thrilled. what a shame she was sick on sat instead of when her regular vet was there. But I would have thought he'd be more carefull over who covers for him,

I have had a call already this morning from our usual vet, asking about her, and he says we will have a proper chat this afternoon when I go in with her.

He isnt at all happy at what has happened, and was very concerned about her.

Update -

Just back from seeing usual vet, we have been advised to claim off the other vets insurance, and all treatments free. She is also due to go in for emergency spaying on Friday which will be done free of charge. According to one of the nurses, he has made errors before but nothing as serious as Saturdays, and he will soon be bye-bye.

Where the other vet is concerned, I have to put an official complaint in against him in writing, detailling all that has happened, and send it to Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons.

So now is the long haul of getting my poochie better!

So if anyone has any suggestions on how to get her eating properly again, please let me know

hi Maz,

Great result! Quite right too, glad you got the support you deserved from your usual vet.

Royal Canin do a diabetic/weight control complete feed:

http://www.royalcanin.co.uk/PDF/information_for_owners_diabetic_dogs.PDF

Obviously anything new needs to be introduced slowly over a few days.

If she's picky just mix a small amount of something tasty that she likes in with it to flavour it at first, adjusting the main food amount accordingly.

Weak chicken oxo/ bovril or preferably home made meat and vegetable stock helps with palatability but keep an eye on salt content.

With regard to your vet complaint, more info on my sticky here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/pets-vets/227294-problems-your-vet-useful.html

Elsa x